Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight workouts/muscle building/cardio workout at the same/seperate time?

Buuuut....

Wasn't Santanachia asking about doing slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscles in the same session, not about burning fat and building muscle?

Well, hell, if not, I am!

From what people here have said in other threads, slow-twitch (lifting muscles) are worked slowly, and bulked by doing a stoopid amount of reps at high weights, and fast-twitch (punching/kicking muscles)are worked quickly, by doing a few reps and holding each one at contraction...? Is that right? Then is it advisable/possible to build both slow- and fast-twitch in the same session?

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

The energy systems that jamesbond is talking about is correct, the only thing that seems to be missed was his earlier point that glycogen is the bodies preferred source of energy. To get this glycogen when stores are depleted the body goes into gluconeogenisis(sp.?) which is converting lean muscle tissue into glucose. To help to avoid this a carbohydrate supplement should be taken to avoid stores of glycogen being depleted(isotonic drinks is one option.).

As ironfist says, you won't get these huge gains as a newbie, although if you stick to the training over time, the body naturally taps into the fat more as an energy source. It mainly bears down to the intensity that you are working at as well, but I don't want to go into that too much.

Also, the 1 hour a day cardio thing, build up to it, that is very intense, as popsider says, especially if you're hypo-active at the moment.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

Harry:
    That is very insteresting, I did not know that. Now will supplementing will L-Glutamine help prevent this gluconeogenisis?
    I know L-glutamine help prevent your muscles from going catabolic so will this stop using muslce mass as gylocose?

L-Glutamine

Jamesbond,

Hi, even though I am not up on this supplement, all I can tell you is that you can only stop gluconeogenisis from occuring if you have an adequate supply of carbohydrates(glycogen) to work from. This is why I always advise my clients to have some carbs before, during and after their workouts. Normally if you can manage it some solids can be good about half an hour before hand(ie banana or suchlike) during and after I normally advise an isotonic drink. You can make one from half oj half water. This tends to help top up your supply. After about twenty minutes of continuos excercise, the body tends to draw more from fat than carbs anyway. The way that muscles are is that they also store some glycogen anyway, the rest will have to be synthesised in some form when there is a lack of it.

I am not a heavy advocate of supplements as I think that when you come off them(which most people have to at some stage.) I am concerned about wether the body will still function correctly.
    I would normally advise to just take a godd vit+mineral supplement but do what you can with varying your diet.

I hope I have helped, if not, I apologise but this is only my opinion based on my knowledge.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

Harry:
    Thank you for the relpy. Once again I have never heard that before and I find it very interesting. I will definately try taking an isotonic drink before I work out.

I know what you mean about supplementation. I usaully avoid all supplements. The only one I do take is the one I mentioned above because it is an animo acid and I have done a lot of research on it. Anything else I won't take because I don't trust what it will do to the body either.

Thanks for the information you have given me. Take care