Thread: shaolin mantis

Question shaolin mantis

In the "Shaolin Temple" movie, starring Jet Li, there's a shaolin monk master that performs some mantis techniques (he appears in several others films, always doing mantis).
    Does anybody have any info about him? His name, lineage, style, etc.
    Maybe you have already answered this question before, but I'm quite new here, so...
    Thanks!!

Well I have heard that he was a traditional 7 star mantis styilist and was asked to make a new form for the movie. In my opinion it looks abit wu shuey and was critiised for making the form. From what I heard , however I don't remember correctly, he either moved here to the U.S. or still resides in China and teaches. That's about as much as I know.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 05-11-2002 at 07:08 PM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

That's the modern wushu mantis form, I think. When we visited the Beijing Wushu team in 2000 he was one of the coaches there.

Smile His name is Yu Hai...

Yu Hai is the chief coach of the Shandong Wushu team. He began practicing kungfu when he was 12 years old. In 1954 at the National Wushu Championships, he was awarded second prize for his Mantis Boxing performance.

(Excerpt from the movie magazine "Shaolin Temple")