Thread: About Karate

kam79 Guest

About Karate

Wondering if anyone could give me a little info on Chito-ryu karate? Does it have anything in common with Uechi-ryu? and what would you say was the better of the two
    thanks
    Kevin

Felipe Bido Guest

Try this link:

www.e-budo.com

Check the message boards. Good Karate guys there.

Good luck :)

-------------------------
    -When it comes my turn...will you want me to go?
    -For Democracy any man'd give his only begotten son.

Budokan Guest

e-budo.com

Whoops. You beat me to it, Felipe.

K. Mark Hoover

rogue Guest
    Chito-Ryu Link

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban soon to be getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

DrunkenMonkey Guest
    I know a purple belt who does chito ryu. they produce some good but softer fighters.. I spar with one once in a while. good targeting and base and speed, no power

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

SLC Guest
    I study Chito Ryu, but I doubt I can help you much with the specific question you asked. I have only done so for about a year and half, so my knowledge is very limited. Also, I know nothing at all about Uechi Ryu, so I can't really compare them.

If you have the opportunity to choose either one, you are very fortunate. :)

Personally, I would worry less about which is the "better" of the two, and worry more about which teacher is better where you are. Perhaps you could visit and participate a little in both schools, then make up your mind from that.

You don't list many details about yourself in your profile, so I will assume you are a novice as I am. In that regard, much of the "which is better" debate is total BS. It would be much the same for a non-driver, to ask when getting ready to learn to drive, "Should I buy a Ferrari or a Honda, Formula I car?"

The ability of the novice to use the power and agility of either of these cars to the point of deciding which one is "better", is so many years down the road of experience and training as to be nonsensical.

If I miss your point, though, and your question is more academic than practical, sorry.

Ben Laden, your operation was good; real good in fact. But you fu*ked up one little thing... you didn't get all of us.

kam79 Guest

Thanks for your info

I should have been more direct with the questions.i am trying to find out what one would interest me more. I am looking for a style that dont have alot of open hand strike's with good kicks in it.I wasnt asking wich is the best one just a few opions about each. Thanks
    Kevin

SLC Guest
    As a general comment, my observation is that both Karate in general and Chito Ryu in particular focus more on closed hand strikes than open hand strikes. The open hand is there, but much more time is spent on the fist, in its various presentations.

The normal range of kicks are present (front, back, side, round). These are kept well grounded (no flying stuff) and generally target no higher than the solar plexus, if that.

Chito Ryu seems to stress moving out of the way of an attack rather than absorbing it. It also stresses multiplying the power of strikes, blocks and kicks by using the whole body but the hips in particular.

MaFuYee Guest
    isnt' that spelled "****o Ryu"?

__
    __/0 _
    ____
    /
    __ //
    __/o -//-- _/
    ____ ___ |
    || | |
    || || ||
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""