Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Fighting = Good MA?

Good Fighting = Good MA?

The grados string got me thinking. what is the difference between good wing chun and good fighting? Does having good wing chun make you a good fighter? If you fight well and study wing chun, do you have good wing chun? Can you be one and not the other, as far as can you have good wing chun and not be a good fighter?

Sure, why not?

There are probably plenty of people on this board who are "good Wing Chun people" who probably can't fight a lick. LOL
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

A complete wing chun person should be anbe to fight with his/her wing chun. But one doesnt have to be wing chun person in order to fight. No contradiction between those two propositions IMO

Mun hung - you are kidding right?

Originally posted by yuanfen
    A complete wing chun person should be anbe to fight with his/her wing chun. But one doesnt have to be wing chun person in order to fight. No contradiction between those two propositions IMO
    Buried within your message is another important distinction, overlooked more often than not: that of someone with capability to fight when they must, and someone who chooses to fight even when unnecessary.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Good point KJ, this is true as well.

Red5A - I was kidding.

Fighting comes from the heart as well as the hands.

When it comes to fighting - It's not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

Munhung - agreed! Just had to make sure!

mun hung sez

There are probably plenty of people on this board who are "good Wing Chun people" who probably can't fight a lick. LOL
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A pointless, gratuitous and speculative comment. Who is that supposed to impress?

I took it like he was implying there are people out there, or on this board that woudl say you could have good wing chun but not be a good fighter. I believe there are people we may come across who would say that to have good wing chun is possible and still not be able to fight. the joke would be in that Wing Chun is a fighting art. For some of us, like me, I would say that if you cannot fight well using your wing chun you do not have good wing chun. My opinion of course.

yuanfen - did I strike a nerve? Pointless? Really? Are you trying to hurt my feelings again?

red5a - Bravo! At least someone got my joke.

I think someone can be excellent technically, but still be useless when it really goes down. You can do all the forms well, all the drills well, do chi sao well, and still be unable to fight in a real world situation, if you do not have the right mental resources for it. (Calm, Cool, Collected, and on Autopilot)

13. Red face

Yet another self-serving "I am not good at Wing Chun but that's okay because I am a good fighter (or whatever)" thread, penned and pondered by those who are too impatient to learn Wing Chun, most likely because deep down they don't really like it.

It's already beating you. Just like the psycho in Silence of The Lambs, come Hell or High Water you (believe you) will force others to accept you for what you are not.

Fighting is ABSOLUTELY unnecessary, but sometimes hurting is not.
    Love is the answer.

Munhung - I am with ya buddy!

Kungfu Cowboy - Thats exactly what I am talking about. If you can do it 'techinically' well but not in a fight is that good wing chun? It may look pretty or flashy but what the hell does that mean? Why bother if you cant use it to fight? For Qiong reasons? Other arts better suited for that? For health, same thing.

AD - shouldnt talk about good wing chun, havent "Seen"it from you, your mouth boxing isnt even that good. your subtleties are not subtle and your allusions are more illusion I think.

Sabu - I disagree, fighting can be necessary, in many cases it might be the only option. I am not trianing wing chun to avoid a fight, I have other better suited skills for that, Wing chun is for when those skills fail.