Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yip Man Movie coming soon

Yip Man Movie coming soon

Our graphic designer Kevin just heard on Cantonese radio that a movie based on the life of Yip Man is in the works in Hong Kong. Tony Leung is cast for the lead and Wong Kar Wai is involved in the project. That'll be odd since neither is renown for their MA work. Wonder who they will get to play Bruce?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bruce Lee played a very small part in Yip man's life.
    Why have him in there at all? Or atleast not much. Sounds like another jazzy but superficial production in the making. His life if properly researched can be the stuff of real drama...but moviemakers may opt for the easy way out. His early story on how he learned whar he learned, his growing up, his actual usages of his wing chun(which he kept somewhat hidden), his
    life during the Japnese occupation, the Communist revolution, the escape to HK/Macao, his relationships with other masters, his
    Hong Kong years, his ups and downs financially and in personal affairs. With good research, good writing and avoidance of gate keeping by self serving contemporaries...could be avery good movie.

Tony Leung is cast for the lead
    Whew! That's a relief! I heard it was going to be Tom Selleck! I hope they make a good movie. Yeah, Bruce should figure into it very little, but that will be a draw.
    Last edited by kungfu cowboy; 05-15-2002 at 11:52 AM.

Sounds interesting! I found this page on the net with pics:

Click me for pics!

I wonder how much kung fu will be in the movie??
    S.Teebas

originaly detroit....between west virginia and ohio
    hey teebas.....you rock....very cool you tracked that down....
    notice in the caption it says tony is playing a martial arts master....not playing yip man a martial arts master
    yuenfan is right ..im sure they wont touch on the real drama of his life.....and just think..they could have yip meeting up with yuen kay san...chu chong man....it could be very cool if done properly
    "fame is fleeting, while obscurity is eternal"...napolean

"this than is a sign of a true man, standing steadfast in the face of oppresion"..beethoven

originaly detroit....between west virginia and ohio

aye captain, aye

i think geneching should play bruce ...and ol' dirty can have a cameo as head of the drunkard clan
    "fame is fleeting, while obscurity is eternal"...napolean

"this than is a sign of a true man, standing steadfast in the face of oppresion"..beethoven

for a good story bruce wouldnnt play much of a part if were going to be historical about yip man, but most likely almost everyone on this forum wouldnt know about wing chun let alone yip man, let alone this forum probably wouldnt exist, and i mean this kfo forum if bruces work didnt hollywoodize kf, guys like william cheung and wong shun leung and leung ting wouldnt be known like they are as the style would probably stayed fairly closed as most kf styles would, if they didnt ride bruces wagon

So? Without Lord Bruce & with Cantonese immigration...some folks would have been startled to stumble upon good kung fu masters
    and have had to make an effort to know something about the style and find a good teacher who would take them. Not a bad alternative scenario B.

I can't wait to see him flying around on wires! That'd be soooo cooool!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

well yuan to my understanding kf has always had popular cinema ie the opera and the old comic book novels such as ng mui legend?.
    what i read is before bruce hit big with green hornet and his movies, the hk kf cinema was dying, it was all chop sockey, then bruce became famous and everyone wanted to flex thier pecs bearwalk style while they swang thier nunchucks, now is thier alot of books and 8mm film of wc before bruce lee blew up and especially before he died, and kfs popularity worldwide became like macdonalds, greenhornet wasnt big, carradinne kungfu wouldnt have been, heck star wars prolly wouldnt have been the same if bruce didnt shine.

Am I Wrong?.

sheesh if it wasnt for bruce the us and and the chinese mainland wouldnt have good relation cuz his work made chinese nation respectable then jet li got to do jump splits with nixon on the white house, all at a time when commies were like alqaeda, so basically im saying bruce he, he like jesus

or at least im saying his respect should be acknowledged

Just thinking about it...

... I pi**ed my pants. Who the hell cares if BL is in it.

Yip Man's gonna be in it! That's all that counts. Like Yuanfen says, this could, potentially, be a great movie.

Crouching Tiger can kiss The Grand Master's ar*e (that sounds a little disrespectful... not meant to)
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

I hope that it is more based on the real story and not like Dragon: The BL story was either! don't think he should figure in it much - only a few years study after all... otherwise that's just a cop-out.

Hopefully it won't be 'mass audience appeal' style like CTHD. After all, why would they pick Yip Man if it was for audience consumption? They could have someone like General Kwan or any of the other legends floating around.

A good pic of Tong Leung with Yip Chun though

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

But the question is...

"A good pic of Tong Leung with Yip Chun though"

Q. Will it be Yip Chun's version/interpretation of WC that we see Yip Man performing in the movie?

I can just see it now... as soon as the movie hits cinemas, 95 per cent of the Wing Chun community will jump out of their seats and say: "But that's not the real Wing Chun".

Also, if the movie is a 'Hollywood' success.... prepare for one man and his dog to turn up at your Kwoon ready to give big bucks for "moves like the movie".

This could be the best AND the worst thing to happen to Wing Chun.

We're all doomed, I tell ye!

Duncan

Ps. Everyone pray to the God of Tan Sau that the movie doesn't feature the Dummy Form... heaven help us.
    Last edited by black and blue; 05-16-2002 at 07:06 AM.
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Black and Blue: I wonder if they realised what a potential mine field there is when they coined up this project lol

I guess whatever it is, it will be a 'movie-ized' version of WC. I guess that will keep everyone happy

As for learning WC after seeing the movie: most will leave when they have to stand in YJKYM and do SLT don't u think? WC has it's own method of seeing how much you really want to study the skill...

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.