Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting

Well B&B as with any video or picture it needs to be understood in teh context. Is it a demo of what not to do? Is it a demo of something else? You know the drill. As for thier stances while Carl may need to root strongly with Ken, there are very few people who can match either of there stances for connectedness and root, Ken doesnt have to go low with most people becuase over the lengthy time he has been training I am sure he has developed quite a root. Same with Carl. I myself tend to look at students when they are in stances and such in these pictures to get an idea of where the school or group is at as far as rooting. For instance, on the Lo Kam Ming thread or whatever it is, the people in the videos and pictures never seem to go deep at all.

Hmmm

That sounds like a lot of "Do as I say, not as I do".
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

help me understand red

Are you saying that these are all pics of how NOT to do wing chun? Whatever the case may be, I won't be happy with my stance now till I can get down low enuff to succesfully sweep the whole floor in our kwoon with my testicles.

Brutha's and Sista's I have seeeeen the light!!!
    Last edited by sunkuen; 06-27-2002 at 08:17 AM.

B&B - not sure where you are gtting that but it would be incorrect.

I told you redangel. You sit there and do your religiouis PRAISE- now this is what happens.

originaly detroit....between west virginia and ohio

hypnoticaly stunning and subversive

lololololololololololololololololololololololololo lol
    "fame is fleeting, while obscurity is eternal"...napolean

"this than is a sign of a true man, standing steadfast in the face of oppresion"..beethoven

r5a

r5a says: Ken doesnt have to go low with most people becuase over the lengthy time he has been training I am sure he has developed quite a root. Same with Carl. I myself tend to look at students when they are in stances and such in these pictures to get an idea of where the school or group is at as far as rooting. For instance, on the Lo Kam Ming thread or whatever it is, the people in the videos and pictures never seem to go deep at all.

So its ok for Ken and Carl to not go to deep in their stance because they have trained for a long time but its not ok for someone else to do it because you feel that they haven't trained quite as long yet? If you ask me, that's a bunch of crap. The only way to truely tell if a person has a good root or not is by actually meeting them and trying to push them over trying to uproot them. You can't tell from a picture or a video clip if they have good root or not. Like the saying goes, don't judge a book by its cover.

You know that Ken and Carl has a good root because you've felt them before, but you haven't felt the people in the video, so how can you judge them like that?

Here's a question for you though, if you go really deep in your stance, doesn't that make you less mobile? Wouldn't it be harder for you to close the gap from a non-contact range if you were to go really deep?

p.s. This is not meant to dis Carl or Ken in anyway. I have the utmost respect for Ken's wing chun and his teachings.

Here's a question for you though, if you go really deep in your stance, doesn't that make you less mobile? Wouldn't it be harder for you to close the gap from a non-contact range if you were to go really deep?
    The idea is to train the root so you can use it when you need it. To absorb the energy and sink when the incoming force is too strong, so you DON'T get uprooted. Nobody is going to close the gap by stepping or standing that low.

9. Re: ralph'a log

Originally posted by sunkuen
    It's clear you got no "root" just by the way you post here on the forum....obviously your wing chun stinks.
    When you touch hands with Don Chisao you will regret with bitterness your incredible insolence my dear friend.

Did Leung Sheung have a stance that deep?..or is that a thing Ken has addoped on his own. Also, do the other students of Leung Sheung avdocate such a deep stance?
    S.Teebas

gnuger

So when you are practiceing your footwork, do you still stay low in a deep stance or do you come up higher?

The reason I'm asking is because I was taught that the the basic wc stance measures the perfect height for your fighting stance. It doesn't matter whether your in a front lead, turning, stepping front, back, or whatever. The height of your head should never change and you shouldn't be bobbing up and down when moving.

Re: gnuger

Originally posted by churn-ging
    So when you are practiceing your footwork, do you still stay low in a deep stance or do you come up higher?

The reason I'm asking is because I was taught that the the basic wc stance measures the perfect height for your fighting stance. It doesn't matter whether your in a front lead, turning, stepping front, back, or whatever. The height of your head should never change and you shouldn't be bobbing up and down when moving.
    We stay low during our stepping and turning. How low? I dunno ... I haven't seen many other Wing Chun styles, to compare ... but it remains consistent, even during chi sao. As far as mobility, the stance doesn't seem to be a hinderence. We move around quite a bit and adhere to the same standards of head height etc. Of course your mileage may vary.

... and just to clarify (so I'm not cotradicting myself), if someone is 10 feet away, I'm not going to shuffle up to him in my low stance. I'll approach and then lower once I'm engaged. I think that's the idea behind the pictures you may see of Carl or Ken. When they meet you, they don't need to sink if they can feel that their root is more substantial. I'm nowhere near that level, so I tend to stay low and rooted as best as I can.

gnugear

you seem like your defending those pictures...WHY.

Originally posted by S.Teebas
    Did Leung Sheung have a stance that deep?..or is that a thing Ken has addoped on his own. Also, do the other students of Leung Sheung avdocate such a deep stance?
    Hi S. Teebas.

Accounting for natural differences in individuals, yes, all the Leung Sheung students I've met do typically train the stance in a low manner like that. But as has been written numerous times of late, they don't always go that low in application unless needed, and certainly not when covering range from a distance. In part, it's a "capacity" thing, so that it's there when needed.

If I'm not mistaken, your teacher (or Sigung?) is typically higher in the stance, and a bit ****her apart in the knees. Is that correct? I have been given to understand that he has an excellent ability to root in any case.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

LOL, look, I made a naughty word without even knowing it.