Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tracing legit BJJ rankings

GinSueDog Guest
    I have heard that name before...I just don't remember where...the prince of leglocks maybe?

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

LEGEND Guest
    KF and GINUE...do u think it's necessary for these guys to study under a certified BJJ guy??? I'm finding more and more hybrid fighters with no certification...although not technically smooth as a bjj guy...they are still formidable and hella strong!

A

SevenStar Guest
    I thought the prince of leglocks was me. when I first started grappling, the only submissions I knew were chokes and leglocks, and I favored leglocks since they were easier to pull off for me.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
    like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

GinSueDog Guest
    Legend,
    I don't think it is necessary. Hell, my instructor has more then a little contraversy regarding his background. I do think for anyone new to BJJ going with a legit instructor would be the best way to go. Personally when I first started getting into the whole submission grappling thing, I switched instructors twice before going with my current one. The other two had good reputations and had legit blackbelts but at the time I didn't feel I was getting the best bang for my bucks.

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

SevenStar Guest
    I agree with that. As long as he has something useful to teach me, then it doesn't matter much.

GinSueDog Guest
    SevenStar,
    If memory serves me, and I could be wrong but the Prince of Leglocks challanged a number of reputable BJJ instructors to a BJJ superfight. One of the Gracies ended up accepting and they fought maybe two years ago.-ED

Watchman Guest

GSD,

Tell Chris: much good luck against Serra from us.

SevenStar Guest
    And he was one of the guys I named?

SevenStar Guest
    I just looked him up. That was robert ferguson, not david. they did pretty well at a recent gracie tourney also. David was in this one and got first in his division.
    http://www.gracieacademy.com/tourney2001.html

GinSueDog Guest
    Sevenstar,
    Yeah, Robert Ferguson I believe is the one that fought one of the Gracies a while back in a challange match. He maybe fighting in the next King of the Cage, I know he is going to be fighting at the Gladiator Challange.

Watchman,
    Are you sure Chris will be fighting Serra? I'll have to ask when I go to class tomorrow night.-ED

SevenStar Guest
    watchman, when are you fighting? what event?

Watchman Guest
    GSD,

I spotted a thread on the UG about Chris Brennan vs. Matt Serra, but can't remember what event was mentioned. I assume it's KOTC.

Sevenstar,

How did you know about that? Are you in on Rogue's surveillance operation? You've got me spooked now! :eek:

Actually, nothing is final yet. I have been offered a place on the card in MSF's next event in Nov. (in Denver), but they're still trying to nail down a specific date and venue. We'll see what happens.