Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why not MORE Xingyi???

Quoted by swmndrgn:
    Humility = An act of submission. (Taken from Funk @ Wagnells New Comprehensive
    Dictionary)

I believe that you need to reevaluate your over all comprehension of the English
    language.
    I’m sorry, I was using the Webster’s New World College Dictionary’s (fourth edition) rendition of the word humble:
    ‘having or showing a consciousness of one’s defects or shortcomings’. I think you realize your shortcomings well enough, you just need to let that self-knowledge and martial skills blend a bit more.

You complain about my use of one word, offer one dictionary description, and then tell me to re-evaluate my ‘over all’ comprehension of the English language. I just lowered your grade by 10 points. Shouldn’t that be ‘overall’? I will give you credit, you use a lot of MBA level English words in your post, but your English usage and word choice are off sometimes. Martial application: Big words are similar to big hard punches. Lots of power, but without proper usage or delivery, it is just a big hard punch.

I am talking about a spirit of humility that should come with self confidence and expertise in your field. Not fear, or giving in as your choice of definition implies. I’ll be frank. I don’t like you disrespecting Larry on this public forum, and using your experience to trash him personally in front of everybody. Speaking of hubris, YOU are the one who took Larry’s post as an affront to your post simply because it was behind yours. That is truly rushing in impetuously. I think you need to be more contrite about the matter. Until then, drink tea. And yes Mr. Almighty, we all have the ‘RIGHT’ to post our opinions about your posts on this forum. I am not accusing you of being an dilettante expounding phatically, just an arrogant bully. Like I said, the tea is on the burner. Drink up.

Larry, and I have rectified the matter between us. In a
    private manner.
    You don’t need a comma after Larry, and your next statement after the period is a sentence fragment. 10 more points. Better yet, "Larry and I have rectified the matter between us in a private matter." Who brought up the English subject? I could really go to town on this you know…I will tap out for everybody’s sake. Just an example of bad delivery and technique. However, all else aside, since you trashed him publicly, a pulic resolution might be nice. Unfortunately, you brought your dirty laundry onto the forum already.

..... Lets just say I've never wanted for a
    lack of confidence.
    Confidence is one thing. A humble person can be very confident. You seem arrogant. Check out the English usage on those two similar yet different terms. “…full of or due to unwarranted pride and self-importance;overbearing…”

I've not asked for your acceptance of my "credibility". As *you've* made *your* opinion
    of me based on a situation that you weren't invited in to,
    You are posting an ‘expert’ opinion on the condition of authentic Xingyi practice in the US (which is a very large geographic area), stating that there is none to be found, and are doing so on a public forum with hundreds of users. Check out the definition of ‘forum’. As far as being invited, I started this thread publicly, and you have invited yourself in. You are as welcome as everybody else with an opinion. However, a public forum is no place to set up camp and start squatting. In addition, as regards your credibility, you stated a hard opinion and backed it up with your 30 years of experience. If that is not seeking credibility within your target audience, then you need to tell me what you were implying by listing your personal experience as one having an opinion on the state of Xingyi in our country. I made my opinion of you based not on the *situation*, but rather on your hubris in taking a public post too personally.

If you have a "problem" with me,
    you're more than welcome to come up, and we can ....."discuss" the problem.
    What? You want to fight? Just state what you mean. I am sure with your *expertise* comes the need to have to prove yourself to low level practitioners such as me. Self confidence and humility should rid you of that desire. Or do you really want to just ‘discuss’ The first thing a bully does is try to solve things with a fight. I thought good kung fu got us past these things.

Perhaps, at
    another time, we can discuss the hubris that you've exhibited at the time of this writing.
    Until then, you must drink tea.
    Maybe. I am sure you are a great guy, and we just got off on the wrong foot. I would not characterize my post as hubris. I think I am on a public forum, posting on my own thread. Perhaps you think I was impetuous, but to me you were a cacophony, with a caustic opinion and dissonant attitude. I re-read your original posts. As far as hubris, let me say it this way. Everybody was posting opinions on the art of Xingyi and you took Larry's post very personally, and started a personal attack on him the person, not on his ideas. As far as your first post on this thread, I found it very interesting.

I like your ebullience, but I think some synthesis of your physical and mental skills would benefit all martial artists. Until then, I’ll just drink some *beer* and pass on the tea, thanks.

BTW. Try out the ‘bold’ function in place of the * usage. I think you’ll like it.
    Last edited by CD Lee; 05-26-2002 at 10:41 AM.

Well, since I'm in the hood today:

Not popular ANYMORE?

Who was talking about Hsing-I 10-15 years ago? Same with Ba Gua?

Now seems like everyone knows not only 1, but several non Taiji internal players. Not just players, but masters. Even on the Kung Fu (external) board, guys are talking Hsing-I this and that.

I don't think its ever been more popular. I agree with the BS comments, but that is not just internal, that is all martial arts.

Those who want to really learn will, they will go to class, study the info and do what they have to do on their own to test.

Find that one good teacher.

From my experince, I have seen three types of teachers/schools.

Commercial: do forms, maybe some light joking sparring and at the most go to tournaments for a game of tag.

From S. Mantis: A small close nit group of guys who train behind closed doors and fight amongs themselves. Later on, for fun, the teacher takes them to a "tough" spot and instigates a situation to test.

Teachers who are too good to care: They accept all challanges on the spot. Don't allow their students to fight openly, because no matter what they are not good enough yet, and need more drilling, deeper basics. Will do full power drills but under a controlled envirnment.

This environment is tricky. Students, not forced into fighting situations, can become lax, and fall into the aformentioned theory game. They are learning hi-tech stuff but never test it. BUT, there are those who will come, take what they can, incorporate it into what they have and keep learning, adding little by little and refining, removing little by little.

Hopefully, they have made some contacts by this stage of the game, and can test now and again.

My mind is all over the place as of late. Seeing alot of new stuff, and where I thought I was once a decent fighter, I now think I am weak.

Got into a fight yesterday a matter of fact. Maybe that's why I'm here to day.

Peace

Evolution

I started Xingyi without even knowing what it was! I really mean that too. Sounded like a bunch of gibberish to me. But I did external stuff before, so I realized what was going on pretty quick.

What really initiated the question, was that once I discovered how awesome this art is, you look around for a teacher, and they are so sparse, you are literally LUCKY to find a Xingyi teacher within 100 miles of any given place. Add to that, you may want a very good teacher, and you see what I mean.

You know, it is not like you can learn the five elements like Karate, and make it work like Karate.

Xing Yi is hard to learn period. Our total class size consists of three students.

My classmates originally started with Bagua (we are still learning). As a way to keep our practice fresh, our teacher asked us if we would like to learn something else. One of my classmates was interested in learning an external style. I suggested that we ask sifu to teach us XingYi.

The Black Taoist has it right when he talks about the importance of standing in San Ti. My teachers grand teacher Sun Lu Tang's had a Xing Yi student, Qi Gong Bo, who did nothing but stand in San Ti for the first three years of his training. The story goes that he was a little slow, and couldn't learn the forms. He ended up being Sun Lu Tang's best student. My teachers teacher Sun Jian Yun says that Sun Lu Tang recommended that his students work their way up to an hour, switching the stance when they became exhausted.

Our teacher checks our "linking" or body alignment, by applying force while we our in one of the postures. Even small changes in position can have a dramatic effect on rooting. XingYi, as with Bagua is subtle and takes diligent effort and training to become proficient. The movements look simple, but they have to be executed perfectly to work.

Do you Xingyi guys only hold Santi on one side or do you switch trying to do equal time on both sides?

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    both sides dude
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA