Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dog Attacks

Good point Stoli, but there is some real validity to telling a dog no.

90% of all the dogs we come across are domesticated animals. They've likely been somebody's dog, somewhere. Many of them know what "no" means (remember guys, no means maybe, and a kick to the groin means no).

So, telling a barking dog no, not screaming hysterically, but telling a dog no in a sharp commanding tone often does work to stall or stop the dog.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Dogs can hear loud noises.

Take a puppy around a guy who roars up his Harley and he will cower and try to take cover, I have seen it happen to a few dogs, its all about stimuli, once a dog has experianced it he will not be as frightened, though each dog is different.

When I tell a unknown dog no, I use a commanding, firm and loud voice, though I am not screaming like I just sh!it my pants at an orgy.

Oh and I know this is common sense, but if you do happen to cross paths with a dog you have never met before, let him smell your hand, before you stick your face down there and start going "oggly goggly pretty doggey".

Though again, don't ever do that.
    Regards

Question

Is it a good idea to let a dog smell your hand??
    I've always done it naturally, but is it a good idea or is it just like offering it a meal?? Or does it depend entirely on the dog and it's temperament??

Thanks for calling me on that.

To clarify, I mean let a unkown dog smell your hand if your in a friendly enviroment, a friends house, a dog park, that type of stuff, or if you plan on petting a unkown dog period for whatever reason, if the dog is acting aggressive this flys out the window, non aggressive dogs only.

Cheers
    Regards

Unhappy Pit Bull

http://www.austin360.com/aas/metro/0...7shootout.html Read about the pit bull in this story, crazy stuff.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

One- The guy was a complete dumb**** -a darwin award winner
    for sure.

Two-A loyal to the core dog-very sad-thats the kind of unconditional friendship and loyalty you see with that breed-hard to find with any other dog breed on the planet.

I wish things went differently.
    Regards

Huh?

What about kicking the dog's body like you've never kicked before (full power!) or hardcore punching its head (possibly throat or neck)? I don't know if it would work, but if there's no way to escape effectively I would fight back instead of acting like a victim that doesn't.

Just an idea...

Who said don't fight back????
    Regards

"I am not screaming like I just sh!it my pants at an orgy. "

Do you sh!t your pants at orgies? What kind of friends do you have?
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Re: Dog Attacks

Originally posted by Can-O-Bud
    I just heard about a terrible dog attack in England where three young children were hospitalised (one seriously) by a Pit Bull.Any ideas for discussion?
    No offense mate but was this the attack in Walsall/W.Mids ? If so this was initially reported as being by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier - later this was changed to a Bull Mastiff Cross.

The trouble is with the media who sensationalise these things. It was a terrible attack but they should still get their facts straight - especially as countries are now introducing breed specific legislation.

Pit Bulls have been illegal to breed or import into the UK for many years and whilst you still do see the odd dog that appears to be a pit bull they are very very rare and may just be cross breeds which turn out to have similar appearance.

If a bull terrier type breed had hold of you it will try and shake you a bit but they tend to settle down and just hold on - you should pick out some obvious target and hit it - I think repeated strikes to the neck would be effective - otherwise gouge it's eyes, pull it's bollocks off - if you have a weapon use it. If you have a strong stick maybe try twisting its collar - eg put stick through collar and turn it. Maybe you could pick it up/manouever it in such a way that you impale it on some iron railings if any are handy? If you do an internal art just use your chi

As someone said do not try and pull your arm/leg out - believe me you wont be able to do it - nor will you be able to prise its jaws apart with your hands. They do not lock their jaws as such but they have incredibly strong jaw muscles.

The way to separate 2 fighting dogs is wait until they have a hold and then choke them off - if 2 Staffs or similar do start fighting it is inadvisable to intervene until they have a hold as if they really go at it they are incredibly fast and it would be like trying to grab a fighting cat.

In the UK you are highly unlikely to be attacked by a pit bull, and Staffs are too small to really kill an adult (plus they are actually a very reliable dog and highly unlikely to attack you - you are at much more risk from one of the guarding breeds imho). Realistically if you remain calm a dog is not a threat to your life - you are stronger and more intelligent.

I don't know what a German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman would do if it attacked you - it may not hold on like a bull terrier type - I've only ever owned Staffs and similar - they are not actually my choice - it's the missus that likes them.

If a dog attacks you, then you're not really gonna get away, try running and you'll annoy it, stand there and it'll possibly kill ya. What do you do? Avoid getting attacked by a dog. No seriously, if the dog gets a grip, grab it's throat as far down to the body as you can, and push up. This makes them feel sick and, obvously, begins to cut off their air supply. Don't just hold it, really grab it.

Dogs are instinctive predators, they go for the throat, if you grab theirs they'll think they've attacked a predator and may back down if you act crazy enough.
    The humble is the stem upon which the mighty grows

13. Thumbs up

Iīll pop out and say hello
    About letting him/her smell your hand.
    I think thatīs allright.If you are trying to get to know an unknown dog.
    Avoid loud noises.
    Donīt show your teeth,dogs hate people with dirty teeth
    Be gentle and confident with your movement.
    Let him/her smell your hand (so heīll get to know you a bit and possibly ignore fear)
    Come with peace.
    About separating dogs:
    If not absolutely neseccary (donīt go to the middle of two fighting dogs) Dog(s) are likely to bite you as well as a random enemy (even if dog is your own)
    Some tips on separating:
    If there are two people-one dog,one person (owner possibly)
    You both shall grab your own dogs backlegs (you grab yours,he/she grabs his/hers) and suddenly,pull them towards you to opposite directions-to separate them and end the fight.
    Tip2:
    If possible,try to distract them by spraying water on them (works best if this happens in a garden or related where this choise might come to play possible.)

The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Here is a tip on seperating dogs that are caught in a heated roll.

The water thing may work for the more timid breeds but for the working or bull lines-in this specific case the APBT-you should learn how to work whats called a breaking or parting stick, as anything else won't do much good when they are committed, due to the purpose of there background.

I carry one when I go to the dog park, its a good tool to have, it is a stick with a narrow front end, almost like a wood chisel, when a dog is clamped onto another, take the parting stick and put it in the open space behind the main fangs and start to work it like a lever, it WILL make them open there jaws, make sure the other owner has a hold of there dog so it does not retry to attack once your dog is free, and make sure you have a grip on your dog when this is going on as well.

This method has been used for a LONG time with the true game bred dog fighters of old and it is the only thing I think would really work on the big breeds.
    Regards

Originally posted by DelicateSound

And whoever mentioned fighting a tiger will be dead before the age of 25.
    Dude ... LMFAO ! Haha that killed me when I read it loooool
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !