Thread: Sparring with a REALLY BIG guy ...

Sparring with a REALLY BIG guy ...

I mean BIG as in thick and heavy with good root.

What do you do. Uprooting is difficult because of sheer size and he's strong enough to resist dropping his arms. Kind of like working out with a brick wall!

I'm wondering if WC philosophy sometimes won't work when there is such an imbalance in physical stature.

Thoughts?

My view is that before you get into much sparring first learn how to control the center of the other person in various forms of chi sao. When you learn to control the center- basic applied physics takes over. I do this regularly with people 50 to 60 % bigger or stronger or both. It works. Nothing wrong with the art. Rushing into sparring wont teach you the details of this wonderful art.

Ok. I know what your talking about here, cause there's a few guys in my class exaclty like this....this is what you do: You get your a$s kicked!

Yeah, well there's not whole lot you can do if the guys bigger than you, he's learning the same stuff as you...and is of higher skill level (not to mention being twice as strong as you are). This can give you some incentive to boost you skill level above theirs by using the technical way to defeat them.
    Actually my sifu said that smaller people tend to pick up the WC skill first. "First" being the key word, becaue when the big guys start to get beaten, they start to ask why. Whereas the smaller guys have to use this approach from the start.
    S.Teebas

Re: Sparring with a REALLY BIG guy ...

What do you do. Uprooting is difficult because of sheer size and he's strong enough to resist dropping his arms. Kind of like working out with a brick wall!

I'm wondering if WC philosophy sometimes won't work when there is such an imbalance in physical stature.

Thoughts?
    More work, more time, more experience, more skill. More precision, more sensitivity, better timing, to utilize and optimize on the opponent's energy and vulnerabilities.

Find the way to expend less energy, not more, and reduce your own vulnerabilities. Don't fight force with force. Utilize chum kiu skills when needed, especially for the bigger, stronger person. This must be built upon a solid foundation.

Be patient, and persistent, but don't be greedy, and don't be afraid. Easier said than done. At any given time, we have what we have, no more and no less; let it be. The only secret is hard work over time. This cannot be rushed. There will always be someone who exceeds our capabilities in some way. Keep training.

If your ultimate goal is Wing Chun, then stay with it and learn. Success is born of a thousand failures. If the win is most important, do what you must.

My $.02. FWIW, my teacher also emphasizes these things.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Attack him during his transitions when he is in motion and more vulnerable.

Sometimes bigger (or smaller) require a small adjustment in angles

David McKinnon

I should have clarified ... we're not really sparring yet. We've just done some chi sao, looking for openings etc. That's when I started to ponder the size issue.

We'll probably get into it a little later, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has matched up with really big guys.

Hey Kathy Jo, we're from the same family, so I understand all the points you made. As you mentioned, easier said than done!

Originally posted by gnugear
    We'll probably get into it a little later, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has matched up with really big guys.
    Relative to me, almost everyone is a "really big guy."
    - kj

The principles of Wing Chun, and many other arts, including BJJ, help to equalize the odds, mitigating natural advantages such as size, weight, reach, etc. with technique, leverage, senstivity, tactics and intelligence.

Big guys are often a little slower on their feet, but there are always exceptions.

That said, skill, speed, and other attributes being equal, IMHO a good big man will beat a good little man. To have an advantage over a big man, you have to have superior attributes in other areas.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Re: Sparring with a REALLY BIG guy ...

Thoughts?
    Strong enough to RESIST? Ding Ding Ding!
    You will learn to capitalize that resistance in time.
    Remember you have the other directions beside pulling down to play with, especially when someone starts putting in muscle resistance to your attempts at entry. That is what Phon Sao is about in some sense.

The other things to work on for yourself is your own rooting and positioning. Your resisting opponent is GIVING you a gift to play with. You need to work with your teacher about how to utilize that gift. The stiffer the resistance the more of a lever you are being given to the whole body...RIGHT?

Hope this helps.

10. Force = Mass x Acceleration

Is it not? I slacked a lot in highschool so correct me if I am wrong. As long as you are not in the way of this moving train, you can use his mass against him. and, since he is so big, there is just less likelihood of missing him!

maybe there is more than "train more"?

Gnugear you ask a good question.Without going back to WC 101 I will give you the answer.Change your attacking line i.e.change the centerline.

Uprooting is difficult because of sheer size and he's strong enough to resist dropping his arms. Kind of like working out with a brick wall!
    Chisel the bricks in the wall with persistence and synergism.
    Love is the answer.

I've generally been taught that with an opponent of equal size, you want to ground the opponent (bring them to their toes). With a taller or bigger opponent, it may be necessary to take them to their heels (Uproot literally).

Using Chi Sao as an example, bringing them to their toes would be Lop Sao'ing while uprooting would be raising their arms and advancing on the centre (cannot remember the actual term at this moment - my apologies). Of course you are not uprooting them too much that it makes the force of your punch weaker.

Someone hit the nail on the head when they pointed out that your opponent resisted the downward pull. IF there is resistence from downward pressure, the only direction to go in resistence is up.

I am a bigger guy so most people have to use this with me.

Just my opinion of course.

Kevin
    Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

How about both?
    Love is the answer.