Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: calling all parks pa-kua chang schools

If a master is unwilling to send a "top student" or stand in for him personally to accept a challenge, then we can begin to move beyond speculation.
    Has park done this?
    Has anyone formally challenged him?
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

challenges subject

where are you going with this? park already had his days with challenges if you read his book. many of his students have competed

i have competed in china and did a pakua form and got a gold medal in shanghai.

we are in america with LAWYERS DUH!

i got into a challenge and got 6 months in the holding pen spirit writer and i am a park student, i left a god **** shoe print on the face of my victim on his dam forehead that didnt help me in court. i am a park student and f you if you think we cant fight. the aszhole was 6'5 and over 200 lb i am 5'6 and 140 so f all of yall

thats was a fa jing foot print on azzholes face.
    http://www.polariswushu.net

If you read my post, I think it would be clear that I don't know you, don't know Mr. Park, haven't read his book and so on and so forth. I was sticking up for your teacher, saying there is only one way to know another's skill.
    Seems like there are still a lot of non-believers. Maybe Mr. Park should come out of retirement, or perhaps some students make some rounds at tournaments in other then form competitions. Not saying this to raise suspicion, as I said, I do not know the man at all. If he is beyond the age, then it is up to you guys, the students. Sorry to here about your run in with the law. Seems terrible to accept a challenge and then have the other press charges.

You guys, Park could care less what you guys think, or anyone else as far as that goes. Park had students competing in full contact tournaments in taiwan, hong kong and other places before most of you guys even new what Pakua was.
    Many of his student have won gold, silver. and bronze medals in these tournaments and there are pictures and old new paper articals to back this up.
    These tournaments were fought at a higher level than the kung fu tournaments are fought over here in the states today.
    Many serious injuries and at least one death was witnessed( a palm slap to the top of the head) , there were no protective gear worn, just white gardener type gloves {no padding}.

The fighters from Inchon korea was very respected and known at these tournaments back in the seventies.
    This is when Park was young and full of fire and loved to fight and train fighters. This is all documented in pictures and news papers that park has, and some have seen.

Park has been there and done that already!!
    Last edited by kalis; 06-25-2002 at 02:53 PM.

Touché

Park's Seminar

I realize that a seminar is just a small glimpse into what & how a teacher presents thier art. I had the opportunity to attend one of Park Bok Nam's seminar's earlier this year here in Seattle. Since I've studied a couple branches of Bagua (Cheng Ting Hua's & Zhang Zhao Dong's), I was eager to get a taste of what Park's BaGua was like, especially with all the good references I'd heard. From attending seminars from other teachers, I was used to instructors trying to put out as much useful information/practice methods as possible, to give a taste of what the art's about.

The seminar was broken up into two parts: a 2 & 1/2 hour lecture in the morning, a lunch break, then the technical aspects of the seminar. The lecture started out interestingly enough, Park's a friendly, personable fellow. But I kept wondering, during the lecture, "when is he going to begin the instructional portion of the lecture?" as he rambled through a funny bio of his life over the 2 1/2 hours. I was surprised how little meaningful dissertation was presented. Oh, well, I thought, as we broke for lunch, the technical half of the seminar ought to be impressive, and make up for the morning.

There were about 30 students attending the seminar, some with little martial arts experience, some were some of Park's students for several years, some came as far away as California and Idaho.

Well, as the physical training/technical part of the seminar drew to an end, I was again surprised at how very little information was presented in a days time. Probably the shallowest seminar I've ever attended. Park appeared to have some skill, and was a nice enough fellow, but none of his students taking his expensive "correspondence program" were much to write home about. Actually I was amazed to find that folks that I thought'd perhaps only been practicing from Park for a couple months or so had actually been students of his for several years. I couldn't help but wonder how he managed to keep so many of them so captivated with such a shallow, expensive correspondance program, but then I remembered one of his local students explaining that Park doesn't allow his students to visit other schools or seminars. I understand keeping focus on one art, but not to put blinders on to the rest of the world.

Well, perhaps my standards are too high, and perhaps I expected too much. Perhaps Park was only catering to beginners in the seminar. But I couldn't help coming away from the seminar with the ironic yet enlightening moral in my mind "a fool and his money shall soon part". So, I just try to laugh off the disappointment. Needless to say, I don't plan to attend any of Park's future seminars, nor would I recommend his expensive correspondence program to a friend.
    Sincerely,
    Dennis Mace

"Reciting a teachers words isnt as good as hearing their words, Hearing their words isnt as good as attaining that whereby they speak"

AAARRRGGGHHHH ! ! !

OFFFFFF.......WITH HIS HEAD! !

only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

dear denise

I agree seminars do suck and are useless.

they are expensive and never meet expectations, this is not parks fault or the fault of many other seminars i have been to where a teacher only teaches a few things to be "slow and exact" because they believe that quality is more than quantity.

thats why i dont go to seminars anymore. the real lessons are building a relationship with a teacher by going to the school for a year and more until you build trust and a strong foundation.

seminars are not worth the money nor disappoint ment. chen xiao wong taught a 2 day seminar covering 4 silk reeling movements and i expected more. at least i got the exercise down real good.

i feel spoiled and jaded cause i know that the corresonding schools of park dont get to have him watch them practice so they are getting away with incorrectness without the watchful eye of a master.

m
    http://www.polariswushu.net

Kalis

Just wondering where you got your information from. Is there a site where the rest of us can see a list of these tournaments, those who fought in them, etc. I haven't heard of any of this information being in his books, but maybe they are. If so please site pages, thanks.

Well, after bugging Glenn Wright to death, he has accepted me as a student. In the couple of hours I spent with him today, he came across as being very knowledgable about all aspects of bagua, both theoretical and combat.

He mentioned that in the future we will do sparring, both controled and all-out with pads. Course, I'm probably a long way from that.

Jaws, in the future I'll ask him about his tournament experiences with Park, but I don't wanna start grilling him too soon on stuff like that.

Cheers

Jaw8u,

Theres a little info on the tournaments that Parks students competed in on page, 23 and 24 in his book "The Fundamentals of Pakua Chang" Park also keeps a photo album at his school, with pictures of his students fighting and standing on the
    winners podium.

Park has Real skill Bro, believe that!
    And he has trained a few with skill. Ive been around the martial arts for awhile and have been around some good martail artist, Park is truley one of the best ive been around. Park also have students that have trained with some well known internal Sifu, and they say that Parks ranks as one of the best that they have touched hands with. Ive felt his power and it was nothing like i have felt before.
    He put his hand against my chest and with a slight shake of the body dropped me at his feet. One other time While showing me an application, he hit me in such a way that the energy moved me across the room about ten yards. It felt as though i was being pushed across the room. This man has a LOT of skill!

And we`re only talking empty hands, his skill with weapons is some of the best ive seen. So people can say what they want about Park, but until they have touched hands with him they simply have no idea.
    Last edited by kalis; 06-28-2002 at 06:38 PM.

HEY RAIDEN

Congrats man!

I just remember you saying for a while how you've been trying to get in touch with Glen Wright. I hope he's all that.

Raiden

Persevere and you will succed

Good for you man,Glen Wright is a great guy with a lot of Pa Kua Skill and like sifu Park doesn't like to show off or demonstrate his abilities.He studied with him in Korea when Master Park was younger,he saw stuff we here only read in history books.

Train hard,be patient and pay attention.

Be suspicious of those who slander teachers without never meeting them,believe it,people have no idea of Master Park skills or some of his advanced students, until they get a taste.

There is an incredible amount of material in this system,follow your instructor advise and the skills will come.

Ask him for a taste of internal power,that will keep you motivated for a long time to come.

good luck.

Kalis

You have it right,I experienced the same taste of power with Master Park,I felt like a burning stab in my chest,my knees gave in and went straight to the floor,he didn't move much at all.
    Master Park demonstrate me a taste of his speed combination once and if I didn't felt it and see it with my own eyes it will be hard to believe,he is so fast.

Just because he doesn't like to show his stuff some people get the wrong ideas,fools.

He told me that beginers don't understand and appreciate how good and complete Lu Shui Tien Pa Kua training is,but experienced practioners will see the value and power of this system

Ma

Glad to hear that you appreciate what you learned at his school, I trained with Glenn when he was coming to Baltimore
    on saturdays,the man is a jewel,I will forever thank him for his help,he has so much to share.

Good luck with your training,

kyle

Be suspicious of those who slander teachers without never meeting them,believe it,people have no idea of Master Park skills or some of his advanced students, until they get a taste.
    You seem to be a student of Park Bok Nam. Are you a Advanced student? If so being that you live in New York, maybe we can meet up.
    If not, then try to make it to Moshan All Ba Gua event, maybe you can Bring these advaned Park students you are talking about. Because so far the ones that I have crosshands with from Park, had no Martal skills what so ever.