Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: BSL Lyrics: Shaolin #6 (The short strike)

That's definitely the set.

That is one of the lowest horses I've seen.

I learned two versions of this form... they were similar, but the first one didn't have the sweep or the tornado kick. a few other small differences as well - maybe it was done to make it easier for the beginning students, then they actual form was taught?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I knew a more portly student who simply couldn't do the tornados and so he wasn't taught them and instead was taught an inside crescent kick and a rotation in its place.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

yeah, that's what we did, but everyone learned it that way initially
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I knew a more portly student who simply couldn't do the tornados and so he wasn't taught them and instead was taught an inside crescent kick and a rotation in its place.

That Description fits me! I'm a big guy, but my Lung Ying Teacher has Tun Da and a form called King's Long Fist as a requirement before you move into the actual Dragon Forms. I had to learn the sweeps, no exceptions! . The Salute is a lil different but the "flavor" in that clip from the NV tourney is very similar to the way I was shown.

Shaolin #6 - Buk Sing CLF version - Complete!

Hi guys,

This latest BSCLF compilation video was posted on the Southern Board and I found within it a complete Shaolin#6 set so I thought it made a nice addition t this thread. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfgLD0Vw-I

you will find it at 1:28mins into the video of a young kid performing the set... a different interpretation

At 0:52 in that clip, Sifu Lai Hung (one of my teachers - mentioned earlier in this thread) does the beginning of #1/#3.

In fact, the #6 that kid does in the video is the Lai Hung version. Almost the same as I learned it.

Thanks for the find.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    At 0:52 in that clip, Sifu Lai Hung (one of my teachers - mentioned earlier in this thread) does the beginning of #1/#3.

In fact, the #6 that kid does in the video is the Lai Hung version. Almost the same as I learned it.

Thanks for the find.
    No problem....

since you are student of Lai Hung then you should enjoy this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEPF2MvBE1s at 1:02mins you have Lai Hong performing Shaolin#7

Yup, those are a couple pieces of his #7. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    Hi guys,

This latest BSCLF compilation video was posted on the Southern Board and I found within it a complete Shaolin#6 set so I thought it made a nice addition t this thread. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfgLD0Vw-I

you will find it at 1:28mins into the video of a young kid performing the set... a different interpretation

That is pretty much step for step how it was shown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Here's one we all should know (all us BSLer's at least) since it's almost always the first of the core ten to be taught. It's also the one that has the most in common with Songshan Shaolin. The monks got very excited and cheered when I demoed this for them because it looks almost exactly like the traditional stuff they do.

TUN DA: SHAOLIN #6 (The short strike)
    1. Fast as an arrow, steal the heart.
    2. Light steps like the wind through the willow, facing fists.
    3. Flower hand, strike to the right.
    4. Horse stance, horizontal punch.
    5. Golden rooster stands on one leg.
    6. Grab the rice, horse stance, hanging elbow technique.
    7. Block down and up, striking technique.
    8. Leaning the body, waiting for the tiger.
    9. Monkey climbs up the tree, double toe kick.
    10. Planting technique.
    11. Left heel kick, shuffle, right toe kick.
    12. Horse stance, striking the tiger technique.
    13. Flower hand, back step.
    14. Front and back sweep, striking technique.
    15. Wild tiger comes out of the cave.
    16. Shooting palm, heel kick.
    17. Front and back strike, flat pole technique.
    18. Turn around, stand on the earth holding the sky technique.
    19. Fierce tiger comes out of the mountain to grab the sheep.
    20. Right "crossed" character kick.
    21. Right lean out punch.
    22. Front step, "yin" striking palm.
    23. Break the earth, planting technique.
    24. Tornado kick.
    25. Land in horse stance, striking technique.
    26. Hanging punch to the back.
    27. Sleeve wiping palm.
    28. Grab the hand, horizontal punch.
    29. Right "crossed" character kick.
    30. Turn around, chain punches.
    31. Left diagonal punch.
    32. Horse stance, striking the tiger technique.
    33. Back step, penetrating palm, finishing form.
    I CAN'T BELEIVE YOU PUT THESE UP SIX YEARS AGO...**** it seems like a year maybe...i go on the net way too much

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I learned two versions of this form... they were similar, but the first one didn't have the sweep or the tornado kick. a few other small differences as well - maybe it was done to make it easier for the beginning students, then they actual form was taught?
    wtf happenned to 7*?

More lyrics

This is the complete quanpu submitted for Shaolin Jibengong Kicks and Sweeps of Shaolin Kung Fu By Scott E. Jeffery in our Shaolin Special 2012. We only used some of them for the captions in that article and I figured the remainder makes a good ttt for this thread.

第六路 短打少林拳 6th SET: “SHORT FIGHTING” SHAOLIN BOXING
    1. 黑虎蹈心(坐虎式) “black tiger chases the heart” (sitting tiger posture) 黑虎搯心坐虎式 black tiger pierces the heart”, sitting tiger posture
    2. 上步對拳 step forward, fists face each other 上步微風擺柳牛角錘对拳七 step forward with “gentle breeze waving the willow branches”, oxhorn punches, fists facing each other to make a Big Dipper shape
    3. 舞花右邊打 flourish, strike to the right side 左右舞花右边打 flourish, strike to the right side
    4. 左右開弓(坐馬式) both hands “drawing a bow” (horse-riding stance) 闖馬左右平衝拳 charging horse, level thrust punches to both sides
    5. 金鷄獨立 “golden rooster stands on one leg” 金鸡独立 “golden rooster stands on one leg”
    6. 上步坐馬(掛肘式) step forward into horse-riding stance with hanging elbow posture 捞岩倒臂掛肘式 “dragging a boulder”, drop the arm into hanging elbow posture
    7. 下格上撩正前打(黑虎登山式) downward block, upward raise, strike directly forward (“black tiger climbs its mountain”) 下格上挑架打式(又黑虎登山 downward block, upward raise, prop up & strike (also called “black tiger climbs its mountain”)
    8. 側身伏虎式 leaned away crouching tiger posture 側身伏虎式 leaned away crouching tiger posture
    9. 上步二起腿 step forward, double kick 猴子上樹二起腿 “monkey climbs a tree”, double kick
    10. 恨地栽拳 “hate the ground” with a planting punch 恨地栽蔥 “hate the ground to plant the onion”
    11. 左蹬馳步右踢(打虎式) left press kick, gallop, right kick (fighting tiger posture) 左蹬馳步右踢腿 left press kick, gallop, right kick 坐馬打虎式 horse-riding stance, fighting tiger posture
    12. 迎面舞花倒退步(白鶴亮翅式) flourish in front while stepping back (“white crane shows its wings”) 迎靣舞花倒退步 flourish in front while stepping back
    13. 前摸後掃(坐馬架打式) front & back sweeps (horse-riding stance, propping up & striking) 前摸後掃坐馬架打式 front & back sweeps, horse-riding stance, propping up & striking
    14. 猛虎出洞 “fierce tiger leaves its den” 猛虎出洞 “fierce tiger leaves its den”
    15. 脫掌蹬足 stripping palm, press kick 脱掌蹬足 stripping palm, press kick
    16. 落地前後衝拳(扁担式) come down with front & back thrust punches (posture of carrying a yoke) 落地前後衝錘扁担式 come down with front & back thrust punches, posture of carrying a yoke
    17. 拳打脚踢伏虎式 strike & kick, crouching tiger posture
    18. 轉身托天壓地 turn around, “prop up the sky & press down the ground” 轉身直立托天踏地神氣贯 turn around, standing straight, “prop up the sky & press down the ground”, spirit & energy passing through between them
    19. 猛虎歸山(擒羊式) “fierce tiger returns to its mountain” (posture of catching a sheep) 猛虎出山擒羊势 “fierce tiger comes out onto its mountain”, posture of catching a sheep
    20. 右打十字腿 right kick with opposite hand punching 右踢十字腿 right kick with opposite hand punching
    21. 右拳平衝式 right level thrust punch 右拳平衝式 right level thrust punch
    22. 上步撩陰掌(又名穿掌入林) step forward with raising palm to the groin (also called “palm through the forest”) 上步撩隂掌 step forward with raising palm to the groin
    23. 恨地栽拳 “hate the ground” with a planting punch 栽錘地崩式 planting punch, posture of shattering the ground
    24. 旋風腿 whirlwind kick 旋風腿 whirlwind kick
    25. 落地坐馬架打式 come down into horse-riding stance, propping up & striking 落地坐馬架打式 come down into horse-riding stance, propping up & striking
    26. 背後反掛拳 turn behind with backfist 背後反掛錘 turn behind with backfist
    27. 抹袖拳 sleeve-wiping punch 抹袖錘 sleeve-wiping punch
    28. 摟手進步打 grabbing, advance & strike 摟手平衝拳 grabbing, level thrust punch
    29. 右打十字腿 right kick with opposite hand punching 右踢十字腿 right kick with opposite hand punching
    30. 右拳平衝式 right level thrust punch
    31. 囘身左右連環拳 turn around, alternating continuous punches 回身左右連環拳 turn around, alternating continuous punches
    32. 太白斟酒 “Li Bai pours wine” 左手抄拳(太白斟酒) left scooping punch (“Li Bai pours wine”)
    33. 正面打虎式 body squared to the front, fighting tiger posture 正靣坐馬打虎式 body squared to the front, horse-riding stance, fighting tiger posture
    34. 退步收左式(第六路完) retreat, finishing posture to the left foot (end of 6th set) 退步穿掌收式 完 retreat with threading palm, finishing posture (end)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

Thank you for starting a post about this. Is this the same form that Grandmaster Kwong Wing Lam sells in the package set of Northern Shaolin videos?

LTN

That's right, LaterthanNever

You'll find the index of all the BSL quanpu threads here. My posts are directly from my BSL master, Wing Lam. Other BSL practitioners have added their versions and comments over the years.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart