Thread: Zui Quan (Drunkard Boxing)

Zui Quan (Drunkard Boxing)

Can someone please help me? I shall soon be starting SPM but i am also interested in Zui Quan. Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere in London that teaches this? I know that some MA use Drunken forms, can anyone tell me if PM has it?

Unless you have a good base no good teacher wil show you drunken style. Mastery of the basics and then weapons come first. The moves in regular gungfu are hard enough. Drunken really tweaks these moves out to the limit of what you can do.
    I went to a tournament and this guy was doing drunkard but he was a beginner and it showed. He looked awful. Like he was throwing himself all over the floor. I have a question. Why do you want to learn drunken style? Do you have any experiance with "regular" gung fu?

I don't currently have any Kung Fu exprience but i shall soon be starting SPM. I don't have any specific reason why i want to do Zui Quan except that it has always interested me. How long do you have to train (or experience d'you need) before anyone will teach you Zui Quan?

PM means what?

Can I assume that SPM menas Southern Praying mantis and PM means Praying Mantis? If so then there is a drunken set called Drunken Lo Han in Seven Star Praying Mantis which is a Northern Style Praying Mantis.

Southern Praying Manits is a short arm style. While the style has good fighting techniques, the forms are not very exciting to watch. Short low kicks, a lot of pulling and explosive punches. I don't think they would have a drunken form and if they did it wouldn't be what you would picture in your mind.

While SPM is a good style it is not a flashy style. Like the other short arm styles like wing chun, pak mei, lung ying and yau gong mun the fighting & techniques are more the focus.

Just my opinion.

Peace.

I actually studied zui chuan in china I had alot of prior shaolin training and the drunken form basics alone are incredibly tough.It is not only acrobatic but the moves are very specific and fluid and the same time..I still have yet to master just the begining form!You should try just to study kung fu first and save drunken style for a challenge later on in your training!
    "I consider myself not to be the best...but one who strives to be..."

---Bei Hu-----

yearofdragon76: That is my plan. I shall be starting SPM in a week and then after a lot of practice i shall look at Zui Quan.

I don't think SPM is a good style to learn if you want to get to drunken forms. You might want to try a wushu school or a northern style. Shaolin both northern or southern are also good. These styles will give you a base for drunkard.

I agree with mortal SPM is a good style but if your desire is eventually to venture into drunkenstyle than a shaolin or wushu style would be more beneficial..unless your SPM instructer happens to also know and instruct zui chuan. as far as i know (could be wrong) but PM styles dont normally have a druken form..zui chuan is an actual style not just a single form!

---Bei Hu-----

actually..

actually there is no stand-alone style of drunken kung fu

only sets, and they are rare..and secretive in most systems

only in chinas WUSHU is there a standalone style of drunken kung fu, much like there is a snake style in WUSHU but not authentic kung fu

ive seen drunken WUSHU its flashy thats for sure..and you do have to be a good martial artist..or gymnist anyway..

i doubt drunken boxing in WUSHU is very combat effective though, its sets are basically just for performance much like all WUSHU and its very obvious

so i dont think you should train in it..unless it makes you happy but as for combat effective..if youve just seen legend of the drunken master or something and think its the real best of the best then think again..cause drunken wushu sure aint it

Zui chuan itself is not a very combat effective art but thats not why some study it..its just a form that cant helb with flexibilty and is good for competition ..(if done correctly)
    Maestro-- What I meant as zui chuan being its own style meaning is that there is a basic form an advanced form and wepons forms..meaning its not drunken tiger or drunken snake..it is a form of its own not just an addition to another.

But the basic theory and concept behind drunken style is combat effective.It is Derived from sun tzus art of war wich states to appear week you must first be strong...The whole arrangement behind drunkenstyle is just that to appear off balance and awkward(drunk) but in reality be quite balanced and not(drunk)! Like I said I do practice zui chuan just for myself and for fun..but I have used some techniques while sparring to test its effectiveness..and although it would not work in all situations and definitly not against another quality martial artist but i have taken down Average street fighters using very basic concept moves of drunken stlye....but its like Capoeria the jenga is not exactly something you will break into in a fight but there are some good techniques amongst the flipping and flopping!

---Bei Hu-----