Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Praying Mantis?

Praying Mantis?

I thought i'd try and start a little discussion (not an argument) about which form of Praying Mantis or any other martial art is the most devastating or effective in a real fight, any thoughts?

lol Doesn't it depend son the practitioners skill level and experience more than the specific style?

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

dezhen2001: You are right but i thought it it would be interesting to hear what people think is the most devasting despite experience.

everyone will say the style they do, as no one would want to train in a style that they think is inferior

Of course, for me it's wing chun

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

hey id like to know why you started the thread named praying mantis

this is also the southern shaolin section of the forums but oh well ill respond..

i think sometimes people overuse the statement about a fighter makes a style great, a style doesnt make a fighter great..because some styles just are inferior to others..

and maybe i should start using the word system..because in cma there are many styles that can be mastered quickly, but there are complete systems which take years to master..like praying mantis

so even though i made the above statement, i do believe its the fighter that makes the style great not the style that makes the fighter..

but i think in this day and age..it really doesnt matter much as most people dont fight that much, so all the techniques etc really arent needed to defend yourself..i mean i think someone who trained in kickboxing for a couple years could confidently say theyd be able to defend themselves from most average attackers..because most real masters dont just go around attacking each other..so you dont need to be that skilled..unless your opponent has a gun then you die..

but, i will respond anyway to styles i think are some of the best in cma

choy lay fut
    pak mei
    taijijuan
    praying mantis
    hung gar
    northern shaolin
    wing chun
    bagua

those actually are just some of my favorites..for one reason or another...

Re: ...

Maestro1700

"but i think in this day and age..it really doesnt matter much as most people dont fight that much,"

Maybe where you live people don't fight that much but here in London it is all to common.

Fighting in this day and age

Well I don't know about you Gaz but I live in London and have rarely had a fight, maybe a bit of pushing and shoving and some verbal abuse. But other than that nothing, but I think that people who learn martial arts are more aware of threatening situations and know how to avoid a confrontation. When I have had trouble with people I have the restraint to be able to walk away, most of the people who I train with would do exactly the same. We do have people who join our class who just want to learn to fight. But these people soon give up when they realise that there is a lot of hard work before you can use the tecniques compatently and with power. But other than that London is a freindly place.

mantis1: I have had my fair share of fights. I will always try to walk away from a fight but you can't always walk away. I often have a tendency to stick up for the little guy which use to get me into a bit of trouble. I don't want to learn MA just to be able to kick the **** out of someone but to be able to defend myself if i was to get into a situation, but any way let's get back to the original discussion which MA d'you think is the most effective say... in a real fight?

mantis-1

Hi,

You mentioned that you lived in London, I was wondering where you learn Mantis, I'm trying to find a southern school at the moment. Thanks a lot for your help!

Take care,

NPMantis

Blog Entries
    Capoeira

Most deadly system

Well I would without a doubt say southern praying mantis is one of the most effictive and deadly systems, Because of their relentless attacking, lightning fast strikes and devastating power. Not to mention that's what I study lol.
    "All the skill in the world won't hold up to a real confrontation if you are too afraid to use it."

Being in the Southern Forum, I figured we were ONLY talking about styles of Southern Praying Mantis...And even then, its not so simple as "Southern Mantis":

Our Northern Mantis brethren are often noted for being among the largest system of martial arts in existence; with over 10 sub styles (7*, 8 step, wah lum, 6 harmonies, Tai Chi Praying Mantis, etc etc etc), each being large in comparison to many other systems, its no wonder. But the Southern Mantis crowd turns out to be not so small either...With 4 major substyles of southern mantis (jook lum, chu gar, chow gar, iron ox), there is a decently large amount of material there as well. Add in the fact that in southern mantis, even separate lineages can have drastically different material that is covered in the curriculum and this question you have asked now becomes somewhat...vexing...

I wont answer what I think is best because my answer wont be anymore surprising than anyone elses....But for those that do want to answer, if you could define the question a bit better...? Northern Vs Southern? Or are you pitting the southern styles against each other?
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 03-29-2006 at 09:59 PM.

N praying Mantis

Check out sifu paul whitrod at www.paulwhitrod.co.uk. Probably the best southern mantis sifu in the uk. His skills in chow gar tong long are excellent
    Kune Belay Sau

which form of praying mantis is most lethal

Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. It's internal/external and very powerful. The style doesn't make the fighter, but if I take two individuals of equal size, strength, intelligence and guts---I will pick southern praying mantis by far.

Great first post Panthermantis.....

Perhaps you can tell us a little more about why you reckon your style is so superior? You know, elobarate a bit, don't be shy...

Did you learn it from the Green Grass Monk?