Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pak Mei Website

Begby!!

Why don't you go visit and prove that it's all a fraud if you're so sure ! Are you 100% sure of your words, enough to back it up !

Dr Wong

i would just like to say that whatever people's opinion's are in this debate, I stand up and say one thing:

I visited Dr Wong's school in Tennessee 6 years ago and was treated in a most kind and generous manner despite the fact that my level of practice was lower then today and that their manner of practicing Pak Mei differed greatly from mine.

Therefore I think everyone has a right to their own opinion and indeed, if this video has been put on the net, people have the right to criticize it. Go ahead and more on my web site and or on anyothers and make your own judgement or opinion.

HOWEVER, treating dr Wong with anything other than respect shows a lack of respect for a good man.

Third Degree's questioning are the most lucid on this thread and are what I would call overall constructive criticism.

Anyone else should, as the French say, put "de l'eau dans son vin' or put water in their cup of wine, a manner of saying pull back from strongly worded opinions.

Re: ****

Originally posted by fiercest tiger
    He has invited me to visit him and he will even look after me, i can say this he has a very kind heart and the mpegs dont show any justice.
    Originally posted by EAZ
    I visited Dr Wong's school in Tennessee 6 years ago and was treated in a most kind and generous manner despite the fact that my level of practice was lower then today and that their manner of practicing Pak Mei differed greatly from mine.
    the issue at hand is the pak mei skill of the sifu, not his personal character. No one is arguing whether he is a kind and generous man, that really has nothing to do with the debate over his power of tremor demo.

begby,you must be young,you're words show,you seem to be fixated on Star wars movies,you slam other schools claiming to have been exposed to the real"Pak Mei",yet you won't say who these teachers are,or if you have trained with them,you say you're in NYC,if so then who have you trained with??

Put up or shut up,who is your Sifu?

Do you even have one,why hide?

I said before and I'll say again that I'd be happy to meet you at the airport and welcome you to cross hands,with me,I'm not so good but at least if you best me you can move on to higher levels.

Its easy to run your mouth from NYC,its another thing to come down and find out for yourself,we have nothing to prove,but why come here?

Seek out Chen Dor and his students,talk your crap with with them,Chen Dor and Dr.Wong are tight,I'm not hiding my Sifu,you are,come out of the closet if you have the balls.

Troll,troll,troll

EAZ,I wish I'd been there whe you came,I was away at work.

Yes Dr.Wong is a good hearted fellow,those who have knowledge in Bai Mei will relize that he is only showing the nice Bai Mei,why show the the the killing stuff in a demo,most Bai Me

begby,you must be young,you're words show,you seem to be fixated on Star wars movies,you slam other schools claiming to have been exposed to the real"Pak Mei",yet you won't say who these teachers are,or if you have trained with them,you say you're in NYC,if so then who have you trained with??

Put up or shut up,who is your Sifu?

Do you even have one,why hide?

I said before and I'll say again that I'd be happy to meet you at the airport and welcome you to cross hands,with me,I'm not so good but at least if you best me you can move on to higher levels.

Its easy to run your mouth from NYC,its another thing to come down and find out for yourself,we have nothing to prove,but why come here?

Seek out Chen Dor and his students,talk your crap with with them,Chen Dor and Dr.Wong are tight,I'm not hiding my Sifu,you are,come out of the closet if you have the balls.

Troll,troll,troll

EAZ,I wish I'd been there when you came,I was away at work.

Yes Dr.Wong is a good hearted fellow,those who have knowledge in Bai Mei will relize that he is only showing the nice Bai Mei,why show the the the killing stuff in a demo,most Bai Mei Sifu's don't.

begby-If you have a Bai Mei sifu worth a $hit then you should know this,once again you seem clueless,come out and show yourself,you know my name.

EAZ-please contact me if you ever come this way again,I have many Vietnamese friends here but I don't know if they know Bai Mei or the Viet name for Bai mei.

crumpet-good point,will adress your point when I have time.

Once again,I'm both flattered by the the exchange of ideas(although some misunderstood) amused for the ignorance/amusment showed by those that have not a clue.

The guy in NYC,I feel sorry for you because you are close to some great Bai-Mei schools,too bad they won't let you in,must be something wrong with you,grow up and maybe you'll have a chance

crumpet

LOL, good point! I shouldnt butt into bak mei politics...

He still is a nice chap! hahaha

Begby:

You do not study Bak Mei? But you have seen some? So that is what makes you an authority?

"I think what you're saying could best be summarized in the immortal words of Charlie Brown's teacher, "wonk wonkwonk wonkwonkwonk wonk"

or should I say, "wong wongwong wongwongwong wong"?

Blind since 1985, ha? Doesn't seem like your seeing eye dog is really helping you too much. Seems more like it's biting you - RIGHT IN THE _____!"

This is inappropriate. In public, it is impolite to insult teachers. You need to learn manners and respect as well as physical prowess. Constructive and/or skeptical critiques are one thing, but your posts are venomous. Such an attitude is not compatible with a search for truth. So, what is your agenda, Begby? Who is feeding you your information? "Who the cap fit, let them wear it." You should recognize that quote. Also, try listening to a song called "Craven Choke Puppy." It takes more than pot and reggae music to find righteosness, Begby. But with honesty, open mindedness, and willingness, you will find it. Just do not ever give up!

In general:

I have watched this forum for some time and even posted very occasionally. Those of you who come here regularly know we have seen all kinds of flames and discussions regarding various subjects all of which fit under one basic topic: "What is Bak Mei Kung Fu?" So, What is it? Certain patterns? Certain techniques? Certain concepts? A proper lineage? A sincere commitment to all of the above? I myself have seen 3 considerably different versions of the same pattern as performed by 3 different high level practicioners. Furthermore, all 3 practicioners have very legitimate lineage. Who is right, and who is wrong of these three? I am not arguing that anything that is claimed as Bak Mei is necessarily such. I just wanted to place some of this discussion in context.

The Power of Sudden Tremors is a Bak Mei concept. It is a measured expression of the urge to preserve one's life under duress facilitated by a state of mental readiness, and the application of very basic physical laws. I am in the video in question. I for one did not fake my part. Crumpet said this is not a character issue. If we are talking about the mechanics of this type of jin, then Crumpet is right. If we are discussing rather or not the actions in this video are preplanned reactions by the students, then it is a character issue. It is an issue of integrity on our school's part because anyone with integrity would not claim something that he/she knew was not true. I can not present you with a diploma from Integrity University. In order to make an informed judgement about our integrity, you would have to get to know us. For the most part, we do not care what others think about what we do. Obviously, I care enough to write a long post in response to what I view as insults to my teacher's integrity. If we are discussing The Power of Sudden Tremors and its mechanics, even skeptically, I am into it. If you are resorting to character assasination, then you are a lonely little soldier defending a fortress of psuedo-rationality. Ultimately, such a person damages only themselves. People become this way when the search for truth and the ego clash and the ego wins. Well, my morning coffee is done, so I guess I done staring at the internut for now. Later ya'll.

I'm sure Dr. Wong is a nice guy, but that video still looks like BOOSHEET to me.

And i don't need to "cross hands" with anyone to say that.

But, hey that's just my opinion, why should anyone care!

A letter to me from Dr.Wong

"Hi Don: I just wrote you a note and then went to the forum and find out 2 things. (1)The guy tried to discredit me as not a student of Ng came from the Pai-lum-White Eyebrow group. He is Mike Ducet who tries to promote his teacher as the "designated successor of Ng". I found out from Ng's oldest son Stephen Ng, just not too long ago that his teacher had no more than 3 yr's training from my junior Chang Siu Man. This group is at best conmen. All the negative remarks are pushing me aside so that one day they sell tapes for monetary gain.
    (2) The demonstration tape recorded an event in March 2001.
    The team members included students whose ages of training ranging from 6 months to 12 years; and the woman looked not natural came from the tai-chi group as a beginner. Tai chi students don't fall fast as she did not have sufficient training to fall like the Bai-mei group. I have not looked at Luke's work at the website. He might confused my teacher Beng-fat with his brother Beng-lum--and this will be corrected. For copyright, Luke hesitated to release the tape for 2000 March event. I will tell him to post the group involved in the power of tremor demonstration instead of the one on the current website. If you would, present what I said here to the forum to clarify the issue. The Pai-lum group tried to discredit me will run into rock as the most important elements of the internal group all know me and always received me with warmth and respect. I don't even need the recognition of the Mike-Ducet-Pai-lum people.
    Warm regards. Dr. Wong"

LOL

Pai Lum is that pak mei kung fu or just a mixed art? Are they the canadian school?

thanks in advance.

FT

I have many new links up on the school site.

http://www.lungyingjingjung.com

A couple relate to "Pai Lum". ONLY to present what they consider to be their "relation" to the system of Lung Ying. We do not believe there to be any historical, theological or technical links between the "Pai Lum" system and ours. I do not know anything about its relations with Pak Mei, aside from what Dr. Wong has just written.

I believe the site in question is:
    http://www.pakmei.net/

FT, here's the branch in your neck of the woods:
    http://www.firedragon.com.au/learn/learn.html

Have fun and play nice.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

RE

tnwing & whomever is interested:

I have more MA training than is in my bio. I'm still a beginner either way. But, you don't have to know MA to understand physics. Or even to sniff out bull. My engineering schooling and simple life experiences took care of that. The technique I saw on the video clips is bull. It's not possible.

But, gee, it would be great if it was....

Qi, as so many westerners mis-interpret it, doesn't exist. It's not some force that exists only in the trained martial artist's hands. You have to remember, the Chinese had no better understanding of science or medicine than any other people all those years ago. People used to think thunder was an angry god for pete's sake. If somebody, through long and harsh training and practice, developed great strength and skill, they chalked it up to Qi. And why not?

But, so many of us have wanted to believe it at some point, haven't we?

I've seen these demos for years. It's always one's own students. Never a trained opponent or even some bystander. I understand the legalities, but, honestly, never someone else? These people don't look like they are being knocked down; they look like they are falling on their own accord. Not to mention UN-hurt. I have eyes and a brain. You even back it up by saying about the one late-falling woman, "Tai chi students don't fall fast as she did not have sufficient training to fall like the Bai-mei group". Exactly. Trained to fall fast. Why not resist this "tremor"?

But it sure gets the gullible and the want-to-believers excited about MAs, doesn't it?

I have never even heard of anyone ever seeing this technique used against a hostile attacker, let alone seen it myself. Ever. I know people claim some ridiculous things, but I only hear this story when somebody recounts a bad movie or much-clouded-by-myth story of an old master.

But, it's the ultimate way to kick that bully's ass, and I need it to be true.....

If I was uneducated in the ways of a trained martial artist, and I saw a monk dispense with 4 bandits and send them flying with purely normal throws & blows (like we all have done to someone at some point), I might think he had some mysterious power. Qi would be my first candidate.

I personally believe in, for lack of a better term, God, and a resultant life force. I just don't believe you shoot it out of your hands. Leave that to Yoda.

Qi is nothing more than a combination of mental focus, training, good health, and learned skill. It is not a secret. Most people, as they age, realize that many things aren't as exciting underneath the surface as we once thought. Self-defense, done right, is downright boring. But there is satisfaction to be gained in pursuing this goal. The real deal.

I'm sure your Sifu is a wonderful man and a first-rate martial artist. I don't know him or any of his students, so, I'll take your word.

I just know that those clips are bull.

I'm embarrassed for all those on both sides of the fence who believe them.

Attn: MantisWill

Thank you for doubting without being insulting. Here is some food for thought. The following questions are relevant to the subject at hand:

1)What is the effect of having a unified body (i.e., a body whose various parts work synchronously) on power generation in striking and on conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy?

2)What is the advantage of using a phoenix eye fist to strike?

3)Is it possible to strike with body parts other than the fists, feet, and head?

4)Which is more "stable": a pyramid sitting on its base or a pyramid sitting on its point? A ball rolling down a hill or a ball at the bottom of the hill lying still?

5)What is the difference between a body in motion and lying still?

6)Why does a boxer "roll with the punches"?

7)Do you use the same defense against every offense and the same strike for every attack?

"Qi is nothing more than a combination of mental focus, training, good health, and learned skill."

In essence, I agree with your definition of chi. I do not think there is anything particularly supernatural about it. It is important to remember that the scientific method disproves theories. It never proves them completely. Anomalous findings should be regarded with suspicion but not shoved under the rug for convenience. Engineers know that if something works, it works rather all the details of the underlying theory are worked out or not. Even classical electromagnetic theory still contains some annoying problems but it has not kept us from supplying electricity to a considerable percentage of the population of the world. I guess what I am saying is that I believe you do yourself a disservice if you discount something because you do not understand it from the standpoint of your current knowledge. Certainly, a peasant in the middle ages on looking at the sky and seeing a jet plane would think it was a dragon or something. I think also that it is important to note that western physiological knowledge knows almost nothing about the effects of having a unified body on its various functions and that the relationship between the brain and the body also holds many mysteries still. This truly is a sticky issue but fun to discuss in many ways. Thanks.

Re: Attn: MantisWill

Originally posted by strangecaptain
    Thank you for doubting without being insulting.

No prob

Here is some food for thought. The following questions are relevant to the subject at hand:

1)What is the effect of having a unified body (i.e., a body whose various parts work synchronously) on power generation in striking and on conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy?

Mmm, usually, more pain. ;-) Due to increased speed or impulse.

2)What is the advantage of using a phoenix eye fist to strike?

Higher concentration of force measured in PPSI or the like.

3)Is it possible to strike with body parts other than the fists, feet, and head?

Sure

4)Which is more "stable": a pyramid sitting on its base or a pyramid sitting on its point? A ball rolling down a hill or a ball at the bottom of the hill lying still?

The ones with lower potential energy (Base and bottom)

5)What is the difference between a body in motion and lying still?

Energy changed from potential to kinetic

6)Why does a boxer "roll with the punches"?

To lengthen the time of impact (reduce impulse and therefore injury) and to lessen the angle of attack (turn vector from 90 degrees)

7)Do you use the same defense against every offense and the same strike for every attack?

Nope

"Qi is nothing more than a combination of mental focus, training, good health, and learned skill."

In essence, I agree with your definition of chi.

And I mostly agree w/you on your points. We're both revolving around the same focus.

I guess what I am saying is that I believe you do yourself a disservice if you discount something because you do not understand it from the standpoint of your current knowledge.

It's not that I don't understand it; I just don't see it. Or feel it. Unlike god. Whom I see and feel everywhere I look. Especially in quantum mechanics relativity. ;-)

I think also that it is important to note that western physiological knowledge knows almost nothing about the effects of having a unified body on its various functions and that the relationship between the brain and the body also holds many mysteries still.

True

This truly is a sticky issue but fun to discuss in many ways.

True

Thanks.
    In short: To prove or disprove only what can be observed is science. To believe in something that isn't observed is faith.

If I ever actually saw something real that someone claimed was Qi, I would have no understanding of it, but I would believe it. Much like I do electric circuits (my worst course in school).

Those video clip were not believable to me. Some simple experiments would prove or disprove the claim. And I certainly don't have faith in Qi, either.

I do believe that through focus, training, and knowledge, one can improve one's health (like strengthening tendons), gain skill (like throwing foes w/ease), and build power (faster punches). In ways that may be imperceptible to an onlooker until the skill is activated (He's standing there and breathing. What does that do? Ow, why am I on the ground? ;-) ). But isn't that what a marksman does after repitition of good form or a baseball hitter achieves with lots of hitting drills? They don't claim Qi. Just hard work.

Smile attn: MantisWill

Cool. Enjoyable exchange.