Thread: What does it mean to be a toaist?

What does it mean to be a toaist?

Is it simply reading and following the Tao te Ching, and studying an internal martial art.

....or is there more to it?

Traditionally you would have to be intitiated into a daoist school/tradition and do some sort of daoist practice, but now there are many people who say they are daoists just because they read the dao de jing and like the sound of "going with the flow" or something like that. Internal martial arts are not daoist practice, though they incorporate concepts such as yin/yang.

Daoism is misused a lot today, or rather the name is. Apparently it's very "in" to be a daoist.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Even within the initiated schools of daoism there is some question as to the authenticity of what they practice. Daoism began as a philosophy and evolved into a populist religion. Many of the sects of Daoism came to the fore during the second phase, when all forms of magic and deity's were being added to the mix.

The absolute best source of information about daoism I have found is this web site...

http://www.eng.taoism.org.hk/

The information here matches very well with the information I have received through personal contacts as well.

Good luck.

-Daniel

Stacey Guest
    who cares....be yourself

you may as well ask what it means to be a catholic if you are looking at it with the perception of it's religious trappings.

what does it mean to be religious you could say from that standpoint. A broad question with myriad answers to be sure.

My personal viewpoint is, that to be a "taoist" or "follower of the way" is to simply "be".

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I would agree with Daniel and taijistudent, you have to be initiated into a Taoist sect to be a "Taoist", otherwise you are just a follower of tao. Taoist refers specifically to what most might consider "priests". Unlike most Western religions, there is no lay Taoist, you are either a Taoist priest or not a Taoist. This doesn't stop anyone from being a Taoist practitioner, though. Check this link: http://www.taorestore.org/frameset.html

I think you're only talking of religious daoism. There is also alchemical. In internal alchemy schools you can be an initiated daoist, but not be a "priest" (no gods, rituals, ceremonies except for the initiation itself). I don't really know too much about the details of philosophical daoism, though.

well, that's a debate that "rages" in Taoism; according to scholars and Taoists alike, there is no distinction. Any distinction is a fictional construct made by Westerners who want the philosophy without any of the religious trappings. Check out the website I posted above for more of an explanation.

I think so

Check out their projects link, I think they have some in those areas. Check out the gallery too for some pictures of different sites.

"Any distinction is a fictional construct made by Westerners who want the philosophy without any of the religious trappings."

Hmmm. Maybe the religious part was practiced more in the past than now, but there are plently of practicing daoists who are involved in schools that have nothing to do with religious daoism.
    Also, in many schools there is more than the philosophy and religion. There is usually some sort of internal alchemical or meditation practice. But, in relation to what you said, most westerners (if we're going to make generalizations) either aren't interested or aren't exposed to the internal alchemy part of daoism anyway, so in this context "Westerners who want the philosophy without any of the religious trappings" might make sense. Just keep in mind that there is usually more to daoist schools than philosophizing/having a philosophy and praying to gods.

Taoism

Hi, I don't know a whole lot about Taoism compared to others, but I have formed a few opinions based on my experiences.

Taoism has a lot more than just philosophising. There is setting off giant strings of firecrackers, praying to the deities, burning spirit money in big ovens out on the sidewalk, burning insence in the temple, throwing the little fortune stick thingees, carrying the deities out on the streets from block to block, and a whole lot more.

You could compare Taoism to Christianity. In Catholicism there are a few small religious orders that are focused on prayer, cultivation, silence, spiritual development. The vast majority numbering in the many millions are lay practitioners who clebrate holy days, go to temple once in a while, say their prayers and go about their daily lives.

I don't believe there is much sense in seperating exoteric and esoteric Taoism, they are facets of the same practice. Just as it would be silly to seperate "Philosophical Christianity" from "just regular old Christianity". They are part of the same whole.

Old Catholic and Taoist grandmothers are probably the most powerful cultivators of all, yet they primarily practice the exoteric side of things....

-Jess

Taoism is a 'name' that is used to describe underlying principles of nature. A taoist would be a label addressed to a person who accomodated themselves to those natural principles of the universe. However, if your centered on being a taoist, you will become one, but that does not mean you are following the natural principles of the universe but rather you perceive yourself to be fitting the spectrum of what you have built the image of 'taoism to be'.

The form that you create and call 'taoism' is what you will be trying to fit yourself in if your intention is set on being a taoist. There is a limitation to doing this as you will be confining yourself to a form in which you established for yourself. Remember that water, a key symbol used in taoism, will conform and fill to anything, it has no single form to which it is bound. Also important to remember is that even though water conforms to it's shape, it still retains it's true nature. This is one example of the yin/yang paradox presented in taoism.

Greetings..

Fame, fortune and titles.. hmmm.. the most sincere "Taoist" i have met.. didn't even know he was one..

The title of "taoist" is contrary to the philosophy. The word Tao which means "way" was chosen so as not to distort the simplicity of the concept with names and labels.. The complete reference of the "word" Tao is.. the "way" things are.. It is nearly imposible to seperate the influences of religious Taoism from the its humble and simple beginnings, and i won't try..

But, if you are trying to become a taoist you have already missed the mark.. you were born a "taoist", what has transpired since has usually moved you further from your "nature"..

That being said, for a firsthand glimpse of intense Taoist practices visit Hua Shan mountain monasteries. Grass-root Taoist practices are intensely rewarding in their wisdom of living life at its fullest potential.. whether that be martial, healing, enlightening or simply a life of service to others.. (at its core the "way" is all of those)..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"