Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ng Yim Ming - famous Tibetan Hop Gar leader and Chinese Army General

Hybrid View

diego Guest

Ng Yim Ming - famous Tibetan Hop Gar leader and Chinese Army General

seeking info.....

HopGar Guest
    goto www.hopgar.com, got some info there....goto http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9358/tibetan.html its comprehensive history of Tibetan Lama.......just my two cents.

Zvika

"There is a fine line between coincidence and destiny"

Quote Originally Posted by HopGar View Post
    goto www.hopgar.com, got some info there....goto http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9358/tibetan.html its comprehensive history of Tibetan Lama.......just my two cents.

Zvika

"There is a fine line between coincidence and destiny"
    The information regarding Ng Yim Ming's family and immigration to the United States at these two websites are not accurate. The reason I know this is because I am his grandson through his second wife Fannie Lee, who is now 103.

Lawrence
    Last edited by ljeung; 06-07-2009 at 11:33 PM.

diego Guest

heres a quarter

if you decide to email todd4@angelfire.com
    can you tell me how you got into kf,and hg.
    what kind of warmup basic drill conditioning do you guys do;why is your sifu a name on the tip of my tongue??,do you know anything about david chin hopga sifu i have his book and got a bit of history from his site,his teacher is harry wu,my teachers teachers teacher.............

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    what kind of warmup basic drill conditioning do you guys do;why is your sifu a name on the tip of my tongue??,do you know anything about david chin hopga sifu i have his book and got a bit of history from his site,his teacher is harry wu,my teachers teachers teacher.............
    Technically, Harry Wu's name according to his immigration and vital record is either Ng Yim Ming, Harry Ng, or Wu Jan Ming.

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by ljeung View Post
    Technically, Harry Wu's name according to his immigration and vital record is either Ng Yim Ming, Harry Ng, or Wu Jan Ming.

Lawrence
    Thanks for sharing, Phil Gelinas Kaido's black belt who learned some of your grandfather's techniques mentioned Alexander "Kaido" Polintain's father who's name I don't know was the one that helped him with his paperwork coming to America...in exchange he taught Kaido...or something, it's a cool little mystery in my household

Do you train Hop Gar?

James

ps

do you have the sword master film he starred in? I would love to find it on youtube...
    Last edited by diego; 06-08-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks for sharing, Phil Gelinas Kaido's black belt who learned some of your grandfather's techniques mentioned Alexander "Kaido" Polintain's father who's name I don't know was the one that helped him with his paperwork coming to America...in exchange he taught Kaido...or something, it's a cool little mystery in my household

Do you train Hop Gar?

James

ps

do you have the sword master film he starred in? I would love to find it on youtube...
    Hi James,

Hmm, I have never heard of Kaido. My mother and some of her siblings tell me that they and my grandmother was the ones who helped my grandfather with his paperwork. My grandmother initially refused, because my grandfather had been very unfaithful to her. But after they told her that he was getting old and that he could die before seeing his grandchildren, she relented and signed the paperwork. He finally immigrated to the United States in 1969.

Most of the people that my grandfather associated with were Cantonese Chinese and spoke Cantonese, except for Tony Galvin and my oldest uncle's second wife, who was British. I will ask my mother and her surviving siblings who Kaido is.

No, I unfortunately do not train Hop Gar (the only thing I can train is astronomy, math, and physics.)

No, unfortunately, I do not have the sword master film he starred in. I would love to find it, too. In fact, my mother told me that he had acted in many films (so did she and my oldest uncle), but I have never seen any of his films (nor my mother's or uncles, for that matter.) I hope that the Hong Kong film industry did not allow the films to decompose. I would like to show them to my children, nephews, and nieces, Sifu Ng's great-grandchildren.

Lawrence
    Last edited by ljeung; 06-08-2009 at 04:23 AM.

handsome Guest
    Sifu Ng Yim-Ming used to teach kungfu in San Francisco, Chinatown. But he was killed during 1960 SF gang war, soon after that his students all disappeared and the only one loyal student by the name of * Tony * , he might be still around somewhere in New York, hop gar kungfu was gone with sifu Ng forever... at least in this side of Pacific ocean!!!

Quote Originally Posted by handsome View Post
    Sifu Ng Yim-Ming used to teach kungfu in San Francisco, Chinatown. But he was killed during 1960 SF gang war, soon after that his students all disappeared and the only one loyal student by the name of * Tony * , he might be still around somewhere in New York, hop gar kungfu was gone with sifu Ng forever... at least in this side of Pacific ocean!!!
    Actually, my grandfather was killed on 1972, specifically on the evening of March 13, 1972, at his Kung Fu studio (now the Kongming Glass Co. and Powell Florist) at 1230 Powell Street, Chinatown, San Francisco. My grandmother Fannie, father, little sister, and I were eating at the Asia Garden Restaurant (now called the New Asia Restaurant) about two blocks away, on 772 Pacific Avenue; and my mother and two maternal uncles were working there at the restaurant that night. Ironically, but sadly, my grandfather's wake was at Cathay Wah Sang Mortuary (now a park) across the street from his studio.

Lawrence
    Last edited by ljeung; 06-08-2009 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ljeung View Post
    Actually, my grandfather was killed on 1972, specifically on the evening of March 13, 1972, at his Kung Fu studio (now the Kongming Glass Co. and Powell Florist) at 1230 Powell Street, Chinatown, San Francisco. My grandmother Fannie, father, little sister, and I were eating at the Asia Garden Restaurant (now called the New Asia Restaurant) about two blocks away, on 772 Pacific Avenue; and my mother and two maternal uncles were working there. Ironically, but sadly, my grandfather's wake was at Cathay Wah Sang Mortuary (now a park) across the street.

Lawrence
    I don't mean to sound stupid but march 9-14 is always an ill date for me...strange, but I believe in Fate karma and all that.

My condolences, that's a tragic memory.

I don't mean to sound stupid but march 9-14 is always an ill date for me...strange, but I believe in Fate karma and all that.

My condolences, that's a tragic memory.
    Hi diego,

Perhaps, it is because that time period falls just before March 15, the Ides of March. It was on Ides of March in 44 BC that the Roman Senate assassinated the dictator Julius Caesar.

In a way, my grandfather was assassinated.

Thank you for the condolences. Yes, it was a tragic memory. For many years, I would not talk about my grandfather with my family. I would not even say the Cantonese Chinese word for maternal grandfather, gung, or any word that sounded like it.

But my family was not the only one touched by violence at the time. Several of my grandfather's students were also killed or their friends, including my youngest aunt's boyfriend Anton Wong.

San Francisco's Chinatown in the early to mid 1970's was a violent place. I am glad that is over. It is not good for children, even adults, to be exposed to this level of violence.

Lawrence
    Last edited by ljeung; 06-08-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Hop Gar

Nice to see all the interest in Hop Gar. I have a short section in my latest book.. Focusing Emptiness...which isn’t technically a gong Fu book this time around, about White Crane and Hop Gar in San Francisco at the time. If interested, it’s on Amazon. Type in a search for Michael P. Staples. Don’t forget the “P.”

Quote Originally Posted by mpstaples View Post
    Nice to see all the interest in Hop Gar. I have a short section in my latest book.. Focusing Emptiness...which isn’t technically a gong Fu book this time around, about White Crane and Hop Gar in San Francisco at the time. If interested, it’s on Amazon. Type in a search for Michael P. Staples. Don’t forget the “P.”
    Name:  image001.png
Views: 337
Size:  10.6 KB

A good book, with pictures in a short section
    detailing aspects of the style.
    Last edited by windwalker; 10-15-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by handsome View Post
    The Tony that you mention is probably Tony Galvin. He last visited my grandmother and parents in the mid to late 1980's, when they still lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. I did not know that Tony moved to New York.

Lawrence
    Last edited by ljeung; 06-08-2009 at 04:25 AM.

diego Guest

handsome could you please give me more info

at least tell me how you know that,david chin says he was taught by ng yim ming,i think he teaches in new york, i read he was killed in 1972,and alexander "kaito"polintain learnt from him,now in kaitos bio it states he moved to sanfrancisco in 1968 so how long he studyied from harry????????????????and kaito would have been 24 at the time of harrys death.kaito was killed in the late 80s i think,same situation kaidos students as harry....i have had some kaito trix for the last 8yrs if you could give me any info of the historical characteristics of hopga,,much apreciated....my techniques are a mix of i think 7* mantis and hopga from a kajukenbo perspective with a bit of philipino flavor.....