Thread: name of CLF technique

Blog Entries

name of CLF technique

What is the Chinese name of the technique done where it is a simultaneous grab-punch done in a stepping back cross stance?

It is done towards the end in many LKH forms. The sequence typically goes: Chuin Nau, Poon Kiu, Grab-punch.

Thanks,
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    I thought it was just called "La" or maybe "Poon La". Maybe CLFNole knows the correct terminology. Anyways, cool technique. It can ither serve as a grab or slip punch. Very sneaky.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 06-04-2002 at 03:43 PM.

La Sau?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Fu Pow is right. The full technique is Poon Kiu (block) Kow Ma (step back twist stance) La (grab). When you say the techniques technically you say the stance along with the hand movement, however this is sometimes shortened when barking out the commands to a group of students.

Peace.

nap sau

Yeah I think that you folks had it right, poon kiu, nau ma , then
    either la sau or nap sau. Depends on the form and what you want to do. Both the la sau and nap sau have a place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all! Can you tell me how to apply this grab? It seems that during any grab, your intent is to pull them back, down, or to the side. This poon la grab moves forward. Is it a set up for the next movement, which is typically the kneeling Cherng Ahn Choy? That way poon la is the grab, and chreng ahn choy is the pulling in and punching at the same time.

But I don't know if that is the correct application.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

123:

This technique has a bit of a hidden technique within in. Sometimes it can be difficult to grab instead you twist the arm inward and make it a punch. This can be done in all of the LKH forms for example in Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen there is a section where you do Chum Kiu Sun Kiu Poon Kiu La. The grab can be turned into a punch.

The grab can also be done, however if someone is punching at you, you have to adjust your hand to grab the arm. It won't be a straight out grab like in the form, the arm will be turned a bit.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    I also like to think of this technique as a slip punch. You use the underside of the forearm to block your opponents punch and slide your punch over the top. Not easy to pull off but impossible to defend against, the opponent won't even know that you've blocked. But yeah at the end of the forms when you grab and then pull the grabbing hand back and then sink down and cheong ahn chuei. I guess the cheong ahn chuei can be directed at a variety of targets ,the solar plexus or groin most likely as you want to use the panther fist on soft targets.

Blog Entries
    Oh and to answer yut yee sam's question. When you pull you twist the arm back in a counter clock wise fashion to the hip. This means if you grab their clothing that you are pulling the opponent toward you but slightly to your left also. You don't want to pull them straight into you.