Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bouncing while stretching

Bouncing while stretching

is it bad to bounce to stretch? Does it rip muscles? I find bouncing gets you slowly more used to the stretched position, is this bad? I don' tfeel anything bad at the moment. Thanks

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    I've heard that bouncing can be bad.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I've always heard from instructors and track coaches that it is bad in that it can cause tiny tears in the muscle fibers. Then again I do dynamic stretching, which is a series of quick movements (stretch kicks, etc.) before static stretching. You might think that would have the same issues but I have never had any problems.

I think it depends on how deep you stretch. The difference between ballistic stretching (bad) and dynamic stretching (good) is that in ballistic stretches you go over your normal range of moments and the movement stops when the muscle doesn't stretch any further. Dynamic stretches stop before that.

Static stretches can by altered to dynamic stretches (good), with bouncing movement, but if you bounce too deep, it becomes ballistic (bad). However, the dynamic stretches feel more comfortable and natural when done from relaxed position. Many static stretch positions tense the muscles even without the actual stretch.

premier

I'm in particularly referring to the ''butterfly'' stretch. Sitting on ground, putting feet together, and attempting to push your knees to the ground, stretching the inside of the thigh (don't know name of it)

And also to do splits, and get your chest to touch the ground/head touch ground

thanks

There are lots of different methods of stretching with theories and research to back them all up.

But it is certainly true to say that most people will do themselves more harm than good by bouncing in stretches, using a gentle pulsing movement would be far more appropriate if you want to try anything. All I would say is find out for yourself what works for you (static, dynamic etc), different people get different results from different methods.

With regard to the butterfly stretch, a lot of people are saying don't do it at all. In his book 'Relax into Stretch' Pavel says it stretches connective tissue and facia more than it does muscle.

Personally I've given this one up.

i thought that dynamic and static flexibility were two entirely differant things, and that while one will carry over to the other a bit, both should be trained for the best results.

as far as bouncing goes, my advice would be to not do it at all. just exhale and go very slowly down to the point where it almost hurts. hold that position for as long of a time as your routine will allow. if you insist on bouncing for some reason, i would do more of a pulsating movement like stoli said. stop right when things start to feel tight and rock ever so slightly to loosen things up. as you work the muscle out the rock will start at a lower position, but you want to make sure that the movement itself is always very very small.
    where's my beer?

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    It's called Butterfly stretch so, that would flap...like a butterfly flapping it's wings.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Oh boy, the butterfly stretch is like the worst thing you can do. Bouncing in it is even worse.

Bouncing on any stretch is bad.

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 05-30-2002 at 10:52 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

OK, is the butterfly where you have the soles of your feet together, with your heels pulled in towards your but+ and your knees out to the sides? Then you can push your knees down toward the floor to open up the pelvic region. If so, why is it such a bad stretch?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by IronFist
    Oh boy, the butterfly stretch is like the worst thing you can do. Bouncing in it is even worse.

Bouncing on any stretch is bad.

IronFist
    ok thanks for that. Could you please elaborate? Why is the butterfly stretch teh worst thing you can do, and why is bouncing on any stretch bad?

thanks for that.

Didn't anyone read my post about the butterfly stretch being evil? Am I like invisible here or something?

It's 'cause you're stretching the connective tissue and facia, not the muscle. Which is bad, very bad.

sai . .. maybe it's just bad on the joints or something. i could see it possibly straining the hips or knees.
    where's my beer?

I, too, have been told (and felt) that bouncing at full tilt kilter is incorrect. I agree, that there are times for small, controlled movements. I also think it is important to warm (increased blood flow) the muscles up a bit before stretching. Some jumping jacks or skipping a bit of rope.

What is new to me is the Butterfly stretch problem. I would think that if done properly and not beyond the individual's correct limits, it would be okay. This business of having someone stand on one's thighs to get the legs down didn't look good to me when I saw it. Instructions for this stretch, which I found in "The Complete Book of Butt and Legs - by Kurt, Mike, and Brett Brungardt (Villard Books), does not involve any bouncing. just gentle pressure on inner thighs with elbows and holding for 15 seconds.

I have a question, wooha. No, you ain't invisible. I'm wondering if the kind of damage you refer to would be due to forcing the stretching in that exercise, which, unfortunately, is what is often encouraged. You seem to be saying that the integrity of the joint/bone connections is being compromised by the Butterfly. I guess this would tend to weaken the structure rather than strengthen it. Am I getting this right? I think that sort of problem could occur in other stretches as well if pushed to far.

I never thought of stretches in technical terms. appreciate the info.

Cody
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)