Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun + what?

Question Wing Chun + what?

I was wondering what would be a good art to go along with Wing Chun. I was thinking maybe Muay Thai or something. Not really use the punches but the kicks for distance fighting if i need to. I dont think i will feel good as a martial artist without having good long range fighting skills. What do you guys think?

kung-fu stuff
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

nothing, wingchun has a complete fighting strategy, we dont fight at long range we make them fight at short range.

Why is Muay Thai so popular?
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will lose all that heavenly glory.

I dont think i will feel good as a martial artist without having good long range fighting skills. What do you guys think?

I think you should buy a sniper rifle, or some Prozac, and work harder on your Wing Chun skills.

I dont think i will feel good as a martial artist without having good long range fighting skills.
    Long range??.... you're either in range or out of range.
    S.Teebas

I'll break the trend here and try to give you a helpful, non-smarta$$ response.

The roundhouse kick is a versatile and extremely useful kick which may WC strains ignore because it violates WC principles - in the minds of some at least. This is a high-percentage kick when delivered to low or mid level targets.

Any decent Muay Thai school will teach you to deliver this effectively with power and timing. MT training will also make you fit and tough.

My Sifu is one of the better WC exponents in Australia and globally. We practice a full arsenal of kicks (side, round, straight, spinning, jumping, high, low), and supplement our WC with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for effective groundfighting skills, and FMA-based knife and baton training for modern weapon scenarios. Completion of rhe grading curriculum (an exercise which will take most students 25 years plus) will also require proficiency in handgun usage.

If your WC Sifu and Si-hings can't convince you that WC answers all your combat questions, then find something else that fills the gaps. It's all very well to say that WC practitioners make the other guy fight at trapping range, but that only works if your skill at bridging the gap exceeds his at long range. Your attendance at WC classes is not a guarantee of this.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Stuff.

You are lucky enough to study with Augustine Fong!...Why don't you give him a chance to teach you something before you start going crasy with everything else!

I am giving him a chance. I'm not being impatient,I have faith in in Wing Chun. I just wanted to develop some more kicking techniques. Its not like i planned on using MT hand techniques.
    kung-fu stuff
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

Wing chun is a complete fighting system>?

if this were true, then how would you explain everyone's wing Chun being mixed with other things. I can't say everyone. But most wing chun people's wing chun is mixed with a power style like hung gar or choy li fut. If it weren't we'd all be screwed since real power development doesn't begin till you start hitting the wooden man.
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

Whats wrong with the WT kicks.
    Apart from the low roundhouse which I have introduced into my curriculum, WT's arsenal of kicks cover all you need. But you have to train them hard if you want to make them work.

Remember its harder to learn to kick properly, than to learn to strike with your hands. A fact sadly neglected by many practicioners.

As for the "long range fighting". Its right there in the WT tactics, you just need to learn to bridge the gab. practice your footwork, and timing.

fgxpanzerz's gone mad?

fgxpanzerz wrote: "But most wing chun people's wing chun is mixed with a power style like hung gar or choy li fut. If it weren't we'd all be screwed since real power development doesn't begin till you start hitting the wooden man."

What the F? Maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying unless combined with another 'power style', WC has no power until you progress to the wooden dummy? This makes no sense to me at all.

Duncan-confused-again
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

we'd all be screwed since real power development doesn't begin till you start hitting the wooden man.

er...... o..kkkkayyy
    S.Teebas

D.amn! I thought it wasn't until you start eating with wooden spoons!

"if this were true, then how would you explain everyone's wing Chun being mixed with other things. I can't say everyone. But most wing chun people's wing chun is mixed with a power style like hung gar or choy li fut. If it weren't we'd all be screwed since real power development doesn't begin till you start hitting the wooden man."

I am not sure what you are talking about here. I have been to a couple of schools and even the schools I didnt necessarily like seemed to be practicing wing chun without much of a mixture.

No offense Anerlich and Stuff but I feel there are only two reasons to add other arts to your wing chun. The first is just an interest in doing other arts, which is fine, unless you are going to teach and mix those arts into your wing chun, and call it wingchun. The second is that you dont have a deep enough understanding of your wingchun and so have to fill the 'gaps' with another art instead of using what you have before you. Wingchun is a simple and yet wonderfully complex art and it has a full and robust fighting strategy that doesnt recquire that you fill in gaps.
    My initial commet was not meant to be smart azz, it was a true statement. We dont learn to fight at 'long range' in wing chun becuase it isnt necessary. A TKD guy wants to fight you get in close, a muy thai guy wants to fight you, get in close, another wingchun guy wants to fight you, get in close.
    If you practice several arts you spread yourself thin, and you end up trying to fight others on thier own terms. Wingchun is an aggressivley responsive art, not technique based. You can play the if and or game all day long but until you are fighting you have no idea what will work in any given situation and so you learn to adapt at all times. this to me doesnt mean adopting other styles or other techniques,just using your wingchun in any situation that comes along.

On cross training:

Get a base FIRST. Don't try to jump into two or more arts that cover the same territory at the same time. Doing both MT and WC all at once will make your life miserable--probably--unless you are a rare and gifted athlete.

If you are dead set on cross training, do two things that have next to no relationship to each other, like catchwrestling and WC or wrestling and WC or Judo and WC or Sambo and WC---catch my drift? Learning two stand-up striking predominant arts is going to be awfully hard on you--not just from a mechanics perspective, but from a strategy perspective.

But, that's just my opinion I more or less agree with Anerlich about the totality of the experience, but I certainly think you need to establish a base of skill in WC, as old jong suggested, before you go looking to add-on.

Caveat: I'm not a WC guy. Cheers.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli