Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chi?

Ok so just tell me what you have seen "chi"do.

And what did you want to show the James Randi lot?

Liokault.

You are trying to compare western sciences with eastern ones and you will run into some serious walls there.

In Asia Body/Mind/Spirit are all parts of a bigger thing and are interlinked.
    In the west those are often seperated.

Also Asian Cultures kinda understand Qi/Chi/Ki without any explanation, it is part of their culture and upbringing.
    What is "alternative/disputed" medicine/concepts in the USA is often widely practiced and accepted/concepts medicine in the World like Europe & Asia.

Now when MA was introduced into the West it was via flashy HK or japanese Samurai/Ninja Movies which are usually the equivalent to Harry Potter, Spiderman, Star Wars in western Culture.

Now there are some People out there that wanna sell you those trics for lots of money, and they are misusing the simply term of "Chi", which has as much meaning as "Abrakadabra" to the uninformed.
    So if you wanna know about true "Chi" and what it is, you will have to go out there and find the answer for yourself.
    Don't rely on science that is a few hundred years old and flawed to explain concepts that have been used for thouands of years by millions if not billions.
    As for James Randi, he is a failed magician(not a scientist) that tries to copy Houdini by exosing frauds. All the Test have to be done under his conditions, with scientists that are paid by him and are designed to fail the testee.
    James Ranid is a showman and he is milking many People the same way that L. Ron Hubbard and P.T. Barnum did.

Peace.

P.S.: You will know true "Chi" when you feel it, and there are many people that can show/teach it.

Chi does not "do" things. I do things. Do I levitate? No. Do I throw fireballs? No. Do I break beer bottles with my head... Well, I was really drunk, and I dont think it counts. Can I jump real high, get stabbed with a dull spear? No.

Its clear you are stuck in belief that doing dumb things with pointy objects and qi are synonymous, and they are not.

And I was talking to Randi because I was curious about their methods of testing, nothing more. Any times someone offers a million dollars, it makes me skeptical of how they do things.

Originally posted by Daniel Madar
    If a phenomenon was scientifically explainable, it could not possibly have been the result of qi, even if the phenomenon was classically ascribed to qi in china, because "qi" to them is some mystical force bordering on magic, and by definition could not be explained through scientific means.
    Very interesting! And really that's the the point that a lot of people don't get.

Qi is a word that was used in a time before xrays, a broad understanding of anatomy, etc.

When it is used in a practical manner, it refers to movement that is coordinated with the action. As you get more coordinated, you would be said to "build qi".

I don't know how else can you describe coordination... we all use the word like we know what it is, but unless you can do it, you really don't understand coordination at all.

Huh, check this out! With a simple replacement:

I don't know how else can you describe qi... we all use the word like we know what it is, but unless you can do it, you really don't understand qi at all.

Okay, that's enough of being a smart ass today...

-c

Originally posted by Liokault
    I remember reading an article in a magazine about the some top aikido guy in japan who would do lots of "tricks"

He would sit cross legged on the floor and chalange a student to push him over ...they never could even though he was tiny.

He would put his arm out to his side straight from his shoulder and challange a student to pull it down...again they never could.

15 years ago I trained in aikido - and the instructor pulled this stunt in class one night - the arm out one didn't impress me that much but I could not figure how he could resist being pushed over when sitting cross legged on the floor with me pushing his chest. He never claimed this was chi but I would love to know how he did this if you can remember ?

Perhaps it is proper body mechanics? I cannot imagine 'without proper body mechnics' that this could be done naturally.

15 years ago I trained in aikido - and the instructor pulled this stunt in class one night - the arm out one didn't impress me that much but I could not figure how he could resist being pushed over when sitting cross legged on the floor with me pushing his chest. He never claimed this was chi but I would love to know how he did this if you can remember ?

I really can not remember. I think it was in Fighting Arts international (think you got that in the USA) but we are talking 10 years ago here.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?