Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's encounter

let me just ask,
    are you the same EvolutionFist who tried telling me that you knew what quality wing chun is & that you used to train hardcore with southern mantis guys, wing chun guys who were good. good people could easily show you how to deal with someone who has been drinking & possibly smoking weed and then is even stupid enough to charge at you.
    if this is the same person then odviously all that garbage you used to do wasn't hardcore at all, sorry, but just as i thought back then, it was all in your inexperienced mind.
    man you really should have gone and got in some REAL fights before you come on talking like you know how to walk the walk when you odviously don't.
    you will learn much from this & one thing for sure is you might even one day learn how to fight.
    i am sorry if i seem a bit harsh, but hey, you were the one who used to act very much like a know it all on the matter of combat.

let me finish this with one positive for you, win or lose in a fight & there is always much learn from it. if you win, you should always look at how you could have won more easily, with less effort or what techniques would have been more economical. if you lose you will of course wish to know why & where you need to correct things.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Scarlet, I don't think I was being very critical at all.
    Fist was kind of questioning what he percieved went wrong in the
    encounter.

I offered my thoughts, based on my experiences.
    I applaud fist's work. The goal is to endure. He got out
    of a violent encounter unscathed, so his training is
    paying dividends.

"I think traditional MA's are more suited to defend and counter attack scenarios. When you decided to call this guy out, prehaps you were moving away from the strengths and principals of your art and your character."

I was suggeting a thought. It doesn't sound too critical to me.
    There is a difference between attacking someone and defending yourself. Fist ATTACKED in defense of property. Theres
    nothing wrong with that.

As far as chair in the face, untrained folks blah blah.
    If you've ever read my older posts you'd realize that
    I consider some of the "untrained" much more
    dangerous and unpredictable than alot of fellow MA's.

Also making a an aggressor miss with a punch or a kick
    is considered a block. Passive or active defense is a must.
    Self-defense not fighting is at the heart of the traditional arts IMO.

I like some of the observations about Karate blocks. They are deliberately structured to cause pain to an assailant.

Let me start off my saying that I am a friend of E-Fist. We studied Hung Gar and Wing Chun together, and when he had the opportunity to learn S Mantis with some Chinatown gangsters, he showed me some of what he learned -- at least what I could understand.
    I was surfing with him that day, and let me say this: Those guys WERE pure *******s, and E-First was surfing in heavy surf for about 3 hours before they showed up and the hour that they could handle the heavy rip. I missed the entire episode, because I drifted a few beached because of the rip.
    He never even told me what happened, I heard it from another friend who comes here every so often.
    E-Fist is the first to say he was not happy with the fight, but I think some of you mis-evaluated the situation.
    First: Where does E-Fist say anything about blocking?

And I quote: "My right HIT his outstreched arms as he chraged and I felt his weight. Stepped back and gave him a left."

As for WingChunKook, let me tell you one other thing about E-Fist -- and this is why I consider him a friend -- he is straight forward, no BS. I do not know anyone more willing to trade hands at anytime. Win or lose, he will give it all he has everytime.
    I saw a big training partner knock him out. And when he came through, he insisted on one more round. That is the way he is. And, he is not bad either. The wing chun guys that he has beaten, were not middle America kooks either. I seen him man handle more then one Wing Chun guy from the Chinatown Freemasons. That might not mean anything to you in the OutBack, but for some guys living at the beach practicing MA, we were impressed that he even stepped to the plate.
    So, he's the first to admit he has more to learn, but he's fight you in a second. And, though I haven't met you, my money would be on him because you'd have to kill him before he'd let a loud mouth like you beat him.
    Read his post again. What did he do wrong? Hit, then hit while yielding. Break! Then a knock out.
    Doesn't sound too bad to me.

B.S

Nice alter-ego, Evo.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

Never a constructive comment.
    Brain surgean, may I suggest checking registration date?

Wow - why all this beitching at EF? As i seem to recall he hasn't posted since the first page of this thread...

It's natural to analyze everything over and over, you can learn some lessons that way (i know i have in the past). But don't let it get in the way of you training. I remember when i was mugged and taken down by surprise that i basically just froze. When i was down the guy was leaning over me holding me down by my throat etc. and all i could do was protect my centreline so he couldn't hit me. For a while i completely lost faith in myself and my training. But i realised that it did it's job - i survived and had no injury. Maybe i was lucky? who knows? It took me a long time to get back in to my training with the correct mindset again...

Anyway, good luck with your training

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

wow spirit writer(sounds like a sensitive new age phags name to me), you sound like his boyfriend.
    i personally don't have a problem with e fist, i am just pionting out a few things that are the truth, if he takes them personally then i am sorry.
    as for giving us the run down on the fact that he had been surfing for three hrs, well guess what, the other guy had been surfing too, as well as drinking. i'm sorry but that makes for an easier mark in my book.
    he is not the first & definitely won't be the last to be disappionted in the way a fight went down, i can say from personal experience i have had to evaluate myself after many encounters, the main thing is to learn from them.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

vingtsunstudent - I think you're being a little harsh. As you know - we all build sandcastles and believe them to be indestructible until the rain falls and destroys them. Everyone has been or will be there and in all likelihood will go there again.

I undertstand that you're feeling vindicated over a previous discussion(/s) but it's better to be encouraging than disparaging. Luckily the rain came in and he survived - as you say, learning and evaluatiing from this experience are important.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

'he is not the first & definitely won't be the last to be disappionted in the way a fight went down, i can say from personal experience i have had to evaluate myself after many encounters, the main thing is to learn from them.'
    sorry, i couldn't be bothered re-writing anything
    like i said though
    i really don't have anything againt him & do wish him and everybody else the best of luck in their search for the truth.
    i still practice to get past many things i feel i did wrong in encounters from years ago.
    vts

" i am just pionting out a few things that are the truth" vingtsunstudent
    Really? Whose truth? Yours? The ultimate truth? The selective truth?
    For one who claims to be always a beginner you sure are opinionated. For instance,
    "wow spirit writer(sounds like a sensitive new age phags name to me), you sound like his boyfriend. "
    Did I mention intolerant and ****phobic? Well let me.
    Why don't you think a little more, take a deep breath, and write a little less.
    Don't mistake intelligence or kindness for weakness, or anything else for that matter. And if you feel the need to focus that hypercritical gaze of yours, try focusing it inward.
    Good training,
    Walter
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

'Did I mention intolerant and ****phobic? Well let me.
    Why don't you think a little more, take a deep breath, and write a little less.'
    touchy, touchy there aren't we walt.i knew i should have used the word mother instead of boyfriend.

'Really? Whose truth? Yours? The ultimate truth? The selective truth?'
    thank you for giving me your version walt.

now walt, at what stage did what i have to say become your concern.
    or did you just feel the need to vent some of your frustration.

'For one who claims to be always a beginner you sure are opinionated.'
    well i guess you got me there being the beginner that i am, there are so many people out there that inspire me & you are yet another i must add to my list.

let me just finish with this, evo fist had plenty to tell me at one stage that he knew true wing chun & that he knew plenty about the reality of fighting. i'm sorry if he or anyone else can't handle a few words, esp. if they are negative(well sort of)
    to spirit writer i do appoligise for my comments but odviously i'm not as witty & could never have come up with something as good as wingchunkook.
    vts

Yes frustration is accurate. At what?
    Well whether its on the mark for you or not, I think I can identify the source.

People who post in a negative fashion on a public board (yes, I am guilty at times, though usually as a reaction, as in my post to you). Disagreement is one thing, rancor is another.

martial artists who limit their training to the purely martial, without regard for elements of character, morality, or their effects on, and place in society. Look at the big picture from time to time, its fairly interesting.

people who offer opinion as fact (this I assiduously try to avoid) Most if not all of this post is pure opinion.

people who rely on stereotypes to make a point. Take your pick, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, political, religious, socio-economic. The list is endless. It shows a lack of effort in thought, perpetuates myths, and rarely advances a discussion in any real way.

people who post personal attacks on public boards (occasionally guilty, but not intentional) Take it private. If someone else starts in on you, take it private, two wrongs don't make a right. I do not see this post as personal, but general. I accept that I may be wrong in that assertion.

and people who won't admit the limits of their knowledge (I hope that I understand the limits of mine)

I guess I'm arguing for civility. I feel its critical among martial artists, and society as a whole.

Good training,
    Walter
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

'Yes frustration is accurate. At what?
    Well whether its on the mark for you or not, I think I can identify the source.'

walt, i'm sorry but if your a lawyer i would have thought you might have researched your case a bit better.
    have you done a search to see where evo fist made it quite clear with his thoughts on hardcore training & where he was at.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with me thinking or saying that if he was trained anywhere near the level he has said in the past, that he should be easily able to deal with an attack like that.
    and i am sorry i didn't give him a big hug & tell him it will be alright.
    check his profile & see how long it says he's been training.
    i worked the door for many years & believe me i could have got into a lot more fights if i was simply irritated by words.

'martial artists who limit their training to the purely martial, without regard for elements of character, morality, or their effects on, and place in society. Look at the big picture from time to time, its fairly interesting.

so you believe in the spirituality of the arts, that is good but is that your truth, the real truth, the ultimate truth, i think you get the piont.

again sorry walt but i think you missed where this all started.
    again to evo, sorry for bringing up what you said in the past & if you wish to hold it against me then that is your right, if you wish to give me an ear bashing then i can accept that as well.
    just keep training hard & enjoy your gung fu.
    vts

I wasn't ragging on you or anything - I just feel that it's a bit churlish to nail someone when they've seen the light

I wasn't getting on a soap box or anything - I'm not that pious
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

don't worry i understand & i'm sorry if my reply seemed otherwise.
    vts