Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lung Ying Wooden Dummy

Talking

Hi Kevin,

Thank you. *major blushing*

You might have worked with all these on the dummy already. I just took the time to type it out. Glad you enjoy it. Just a small contribution after a rather long silence from me.

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

This thread is really cool.

First off, thank you Kevin for introducing a "non-traditional" approach. Secondly, Mantis108, thanks for saying "gates". When was the last tme we discussed this in here? Thirdly, since I speak from my master's association, I must preface the following opinions by stating that these are simple musings from a simple student. Hopefully this thread will go on, and lend us all more insight on chut san sau (thank you for repeating this, M108) and training principals. Bleh.

In response to Mantis108's post, my **humble, inexperienced, possibly totally wrong** views on chut san sau on a dummy vs/and/or a post:

Soy kiu on a dummy, yeah, any arm, any area of the post. Awesome hand to practise on anything. Gimme this with two others. No problem.

Bui gim on a dummy - super cool, you can definitely train to stick! I would try it on an arm in a lowered position (uh, I don't use a dummy so here's where my ignorance shows) and follow through like in any sequence, chum/tun.

Khow pek - M108, cool.

Sarm tone on a dummy, I think it stunts your power. Maybe for accuracy, but i prefer practicing on something mobile.

Mor Kup on a dummy is probably cool because you can switch left-right and get some good body mechanics training out of it. M108, can you explain more about the sequence and advance and retreat? On a dummy, I'm thinking lift and drop, but I'm not sure dummy training would be beneficial in this respect.

Lam da IS EXCELLENT on a post or even a dummy for training form, if nothing else. Also can be used forward or angled or sideways. Mind those nuts, gents.

Chung choi...hmmmm.

Kevin, for unconditioned students, PVC works well, since it gives. But I don't know how you'd make a dummy out of it.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Hey Melt, everybody else :-)

I have seen Kit Wai Leung use a hanging tree trunk for three star quite regularly, (dont think his students do as yet though!) not seen a set per se however. I know my teachers dont use a dummy.
    They (Kit's class) do a lot of their striking using focus pads with stepping routines/combinations a la Yip Wing's video. We tend to hit each other, well at least I do anyway.
    I tried the tree the other day, then quickly wished I hadn't!!

Mark S

Note to self: add hanging tree trunk to kung fu playground.

Hi Mark! We don't use a dummy either. The students aren't ready for tree trunks yet, but we do a lot of hanging sand bag work. My master has told them all to get their own sand bags and bring them to class (for hygenic reasons). We have some permanent 8" PVC pipes in the ground for hands and feet. We also do drills on focus mitts, pads and each other. This is the best way to find out how it works, IMHO.

If anyone can suggest any other playground equipment, I'd be grateful! Our class now has it's own park in which to study, Ping's Park! So my dream of "Shao Lynlee" is turning to reality... plum flower posts, here we come!
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

do you just post up the PVC pipe securely in teh ground and then give it with punches and kicks? I'm going to build a mook jong with a PVC body, same diff i suppose...How often do you guys condition your hands on teh sand bag? IS it only the knuckles or do you toughen the shins and forearms as well?
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Rolling

What up man? Long time no speak. Bro, if you're going to condition your hands or be pounding on a mook jong always remember to use jow.

The sand/rice bag is usually used for hand conditioning...fist, palms, willow leaf(back of hand), claws, PE fist, etc.. Sand or rice is used in the beginning stages, later on you move to other materials. Bro, if you're going to condition your hands you need to learn to condition them properly. If done incorrectly it can cause health problems later on down, so be careful.

For shins and forearms you can start out with chop sticks, then slowly move on to baby trees. You can also use a rolling pin for your shins. Again make sure you have yourself a good batch of jow on hand.

Take care,
    Buby
    Last edited by Buby; 06-06-2002 at 08:32 AM.

Originally posted by meltdawn
    Note to self: add hanging tree trunk to kung fu playground.

Hi Mark! We don't use a dummy either. The students aren't ready for tree trunks yet, but we do a lot of hanging sand bag work. My master has told them all to get their own sand bags and bring them to class (for hygenic reasons). We have some permanent 8" PVC pipes in the ground for hands and feet. We also do drills on focus mitts, pads and each other. This is the best way to find out how it works, IMHO.

If anyone can suggest any other playground equipment, I'd be grateful! Our class now has it's own park in which to study, Ping's Park! So my dream of "Shao Lynlee" is turning to reality... plum flower posts, here we come!

thanks for the advice Buby..I was thinking of starting with sand..is rice less consistent and therefore a little more yielding? Also, the rolling a barbell on the forearms seems to be a regular practice among hung gar and other style practitioners does it not?

Could someone explain to me why exactly jow should be used? Does it not mean you have taken your training too far? Does it not mean that you have pushe your body to a level it should not yet be operating at. My instructor is big on puhing yourself slowly and not overdoing it. By hitting each other in practice we are essentially "conditioning". Then again, he pounds sand bags and weights on a regular basis and hits his knuckles with a hard rubber mallet when watching t.v.
    Michael Panzerotti

I'll try my best

sand/rice...It's all good. Different schools use different materials. You can buy yourself a 10lb. bag of rice, tape it up and you've got yourself a conditioning bag. You can also buy for about $15 a condition bag that you fill up(sand, rice, rocks, iron pellets).

roller bar - Yes, I would think so. In YKM we have more than one training drill for the roller bar. Each drill has it purpose.

Dit Da Jow is (bone hitting wine) medicine. You apply it before, during and after conditioning. It's main purpose is to heal any damage you've caused to your hand(or area of conditioning).

You apply by pouring some on your hands(or towel) and rubbing it in the area that's being conditioned. Some jows are harmful if applied to an open wound, so just ask when you purchase it if it's for external use only.

If you need some jow, send me an e-mail and I'll send you some. The one I have was made using sifu's recipe and it very good.

Just let me know bro.

Take care,
    Buby

Unhappy

Buby, I can't send private mesages for some reason. Despite having edited my profile..anyway, I have a few basic questions as I am somewhat of a virgin to this whole treatment of the knuckles thang:

- how often and for how long should one train the knuckles.
    - free swinging or wall mounted sand/rice bags?
    - Which recipes are valid, which are bogus, are there any side effects to Jit a Jow? has it been proven to actually heal? I don't want arthritis in 20 years.
    - what other toughening drills does your system use?

mpanzerotti@hotmail.com if you'd like to offer suggestions. thanks.
    Michael Panzerotti

Meltdown - If anyone can suggest any other playground equipment, …

As an addition to a bag all ready hanging you may want to consider hanging some easily, and cheaply, constructed devices that promote entering on angles that elude & evade as opposed to encountering a bridge. Drill a small hole in several ping pong balls, fill with sand, insert the knotted end of a length of kite string, place a small piece of duct tape with glue added to the back sealing sand in ball and securing kite string. Now glue several thumb tacks [by the flat end] to each ping pong ball so that the pointed ended faces out. Hang the spiked ping pong balls about mid head height, bracketing one of the hanging striking bags. You may well want to begin with one spiked ball hanging to either side of your intended target. Start the ping pong balls swinging, enter, strike the bag [might want to start with 1 strike & work up from there] and then exit cleanly. When you work up to 5 or more all swinging at the same time you will have many hours of great fun.

Cannibalism is unequivocally a valid dynamic for all societies. I am, Hideous.