Thread: 10 Sets of Shaolin?

10 Sets of Shaolin?

I was lurking on ebay and saw this auction for 10 videos featuring the "10 Hand Sets of Shaolin" videos, demonstrating of course the 10 sets of shaolin. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1833545216

I have a question for those who study northern shaolin: Do the "10 hand sets of shaolin" contain the same techniques found in "18 deadly hand techniques"? Or, are they comprised of totally different techniques/forms? To someone who hasn't studied northern shaolin, which of the two would be most representative of "traditional" shaoling gung fu?

post this question to Gene or Northern Shaolin on the Shaolin forum.

They will be able to answer your questions.
    peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

18 Deadly Hands

Some information on this set is sketchy, but most people seem to think that this set was invented by GM Ku Yu Cheung. But, to the best of my knowledge, there's no proof or documentation, it's just hearsay. It is made from hand techniques from the 10 Northern Sets. It's done in 18 lines (back and forth) from North to South. Like Tom Tuy, 10 or 12 set. It's a good set for practice, but it can be redundant!

I hope this helped you.

Jason

P.S. The 10 sets that are on EBay are a good collection to get your hands on. I would recommend buying them for practice.
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

Go to our Shaolin forum

We discuss the ten sets of Shaolin all the time. There are many threads on the subject and many people there who practice this. In fact, I just finished posting all of the lyrics to the 10 sets there. I'll bet most of your questions are answered by just reading the archives on that forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart