Thread: Sheng Hsiao Dao Ren

Sheng Hsiao Dao Ren

I'm trying to find as much info on this man as possible.
    He wrote several books on Shaolin in 1764 and one 1792.

A detailed explanation of 18 Lohan exercise as well as complete manuscripts with explanations of the forms he did.
    He is one of the Praying Mantis original people. His form, -praying mantis "hit" six roads-(tang lang da 6 tang), is probably the oldest manuscript of a PM form.

Supposedly, other styles descend from this man which I would like to try and confirm.

Chinese MA Encyclopedia

Stumblefist,
    I have seen mention of one of his manuscripts in the above book.
    The quote matches that in the 7* teacher, Huang Hanhsun or Wong Honfun's books, from the same or similar source.

Besides 18 Lohan Gung he also wrote,"Shaolin Si Yibo Zhenchuan Tanglang Quan Pu"

Supposedly there are only hand copied ersions aailable.

About PM teachers in China Ilya Profatilov has traveled around there and done extensive research.

I haven't dug around the Taiwan Cultural Uni for info.

His name is Heaven-Ascended Daoist

Correction!
    His name is Heaven-Ascended Daoist
    or Shengxiao Daoren 升霄道人.

Heaven-Ascended Taoist's form on Mantis is Xiao Fanche 小翻車 (or an earlier incantation of it).

At that time the style was not called Tang Lang Quan or Praying Mantis kung fu. Instead, Praying Mantis was one part of it, supposedly 1 part of 18. So there was no repertoire of forms to learn. Just the techniques gathered together that you can see in Xiao Fanche.

Xiao meaning little and fanche meaning to overturn the cart or a turning waterwheel. But by Heaven-Ascended Daoist's own definition, 翻車 fanche means neither of those. But the body does indeed turn like the arms like a rotating wheel.

My pet theory is that fanche command to sailors who controlled the direction and speed of their ship.

The above information corrects my following old quote quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    His form, -praying mantis "hit" six roads-(tang lang da 6 tang), is probably the oldest manuscript of a PM form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Xiao meaning little and fanche meaning to overturn the cart or a turning waterwheel. But by Heaven-Ascended Daoist's own definition, 翻車 fanche means neither of those. But the body does indeed turn like the arms like a rotating wheel.

My pet theory is that fanche command to sailors who controlled the direction and speed of their ship.

Greetings Tainan Mantis,

If you took a moment to merge both conceptual understandings of what Fanche is, you end up with a gear arranged perpendicular to each other, where governance (horizontal or vertical) is determined by the situation.

mickey