Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How do you train for "the street"

This is something I have found interesting also. From what I have experienced, when I am about to get into a fight with someone at first I feel shakey and everything, the main thing I have noticed is that I would start to shake mainly my hands and my legs feel a little like jello. The part that confuses me though is that useually this is short and once I get past that I have a very calm and cool feeling.

For example, as things start to get harry like when your not sure if there is a problem or you are agruing with someone then I feel the trembling and so forth. But after this initial contact and if things get to the point of fighting I get a really calm feeling like I am in control of the situation, is this normal?

Something else that is weird is that you can get a AD dump even when you are not in a physical confrontation. One time I had a seriouse fight over the phone with a person I did not know too well and I was shaking, I was so ****ed off I could have crippled the person if I had the chance and would have felt good about it.

We train sportfighting techniques also.

But we are also shown how to adapt those techs so they are more viable for a non sport setting. Like blocking the opponent's vision, relentless attack (no trading blows) punching from extremly close range, various things like that.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Interesting guys... for me it's been a little different.

Sometimes i have had no shaking or anything until well AFTER the incident is over... but other times i have felt calm but have just 'frozen'. Again, no shaking or legs like jello, just frozen

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Meditation. By developing conciousness in T'an Tien (center) you become more in tune with the universe and you can sense intent while it is still at the initial stage. This gives you the edge to avoid the attack. A lot of street attacks are cowardly sucker punches.The same principle applies one on one. You sense the intent to know a feint from a commited move that you can counter effectively. ..I agree simplicity is the essence in self defense. I don't think sport fighting is effective on the street, too reactionary. but it's all in the individual and situation. Many street attackers are a free set-up for a whirly bird arm bar. And you must be able to muster up that killing force intent yourself like flipping on a switch.

What exactly do you mean by sport fighting being too reactionary for the street?

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

expecting to trade blows.getting involved as a contest instead of avoiding or ending it with a serious blow. not submission holds or a point mentality tap fest. no rules at all. sport implies rules.

None of that explained why you think sport fighting is "reactionary".

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

I think he means you react to your opponant too much, rather than taking the initiative.

i.e: The blow from your enemy [esp.in SemiContact] won't really do damage, so you allow him to swing punches and concentrate move on sparring than on fighting.

Maybe.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

That would be a pretty dumb ploy. Waiting for the other guy to knock you out is always a bad idea. Almost as bad not punching with all of your power. Good way to loose. No serious competitor would ever do that.

JWT

JWT:

I think you'll find that the problem is that greendragon doesn't know what he's talking about.

No competitor I have ever met who got in a streetfight said --OH GOODY! A "Insert art here" match.

They've all gone for the kill or the tactically sound escape asap.

I suppose, if you are an idiot, that greendragon's point is correct--an idiot who was a sportfighter might do what greendragon is talking about.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Of course it's stupid.

It's his theory on sportfighters, not mine

I do think that most sportfighters suck dick in streetfights though. But then so do most TMA's. Only streetfighters win in streetfights.

-Bible Truths.

Oh, I don't know about that. I can think of plenty of wrestlers and boxers and BJJers that have done an awful lot of streetfighting and been successful with their tools.

On the other hand, only a streetfighter goes LOOKING for a streetfight.

I much prefer living
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

What I mean MPS is that most people just pick Style X and train in it for a few years and think that they can streetfight.

IMHO almost ALL styles need adapting for the street.

Most people don't spend hours on KFO discussing theory. Most don't train for weapons, for concrete, for multiple attackers. They think that a nice [insert move] will finish 'em OK.

Unless you know the arena, you will fail in it.

-Bible Truths.

Hmm... I think that far fewer sportfighters are of the "Technique X" will finish them crowd. They know the reality that it WON'T necessarily be that way. It might take more than one shot to the head, etc.

On the other hand, I agree about concrete, etc. I bet there are some streetfighters that start LOOKING, right away, for a glass window to push you through or a hydrant to throw you on. I don't know if I would have the presence of mind to do so.

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Hmm... I think that far fewer sportfighters are of the "Technique X" will finish them crowd. They know the reality that it WON'T necessarily be that way. It might take more than one shot to the head, etc.
    My point exactly. They are experienced. They know the ring and the "Rules".

As for your second point - that is an extension of the above IMO.

-Bible Truths.