Thread: Wing Chun Pole

Question Wing Chun Pole

Greetings,

What is, if there is any, the standard length and weight of the Wing Chun pole? I have an opportunity to purchase one at a very low price. It is made of oak, but it felt light in my hands. The ones used in my school are long and very heavy, ideal for horse and power training.

C.H.

You have already answered your own question as to which one to get - one like what you already have at your school! One of the intentions in Chi Kwan (pole vs pole) training is to develop snap and power to break your opponents pole. Even for just practicing the pole form alone, a better pole should be used.

For any Kung Fu equipment (i.e. Wooden Dummy, Bot Cham Do etc.) you should be aware of the cost ranges and be leary of extremely inexpensive items. An important point here is that you should consult your Sifu on purchasing this pole (and any other equipment) if you are not sure. Even if you are not on any of the levels that require equipment, you can still purchase the equipment ahead of time if it is a good deal and of good quality. However, with the advice of your Sifu, you should be careful not to practice with the equipment until you are at that level to avoid developing bad habits or incorrect understandings of how the equipment is to be used.

You can get a very good pole from the Ving Tsun Museum for around $90 (www.vtmuseum.org).

Good Luck with your Kung Fu!

Lindley57,

Thanks for the reply. We have poles that vary in weight, but I do know that the heavier ones is preferable. Just wanted an idea what the consensus was on an ideal weight. The issue is, poles are hard to get where I live. Poles imported from Hong Kong always arrived warped due to change in climate and humidity. Also, I prefer seeing and feeling something before making a purchase. I wanted something I can practice with at home.

C.H.

Chuk,

If the pole you are interested does not look or feel like any of the poles in your school, you should, again, share this with your Sifu. The Sifu will explain the benefits of buying this pole or warn you against why you should not. Many people should have more than one pole anyway - one for form practice and one for training engagement.

I have a student who bypassed speaking with me about purchasing a Wooden Dummy. He was not at that level at the time. When he reached that level, he was able to see why the dummy he purchased was, quite honestly, useless.

As an alternative, there is a gentleman named 'Marty' in the Moy Yat Ving Tsun family who makes qualitiy Dummies and Poles. You can contact the headquarters at 45 East Broadway to find out if he still makes them, should you desire to get one of notable quality locally.

I am sure you will make the right choice
    Good Luck!

Lindley57,

Thanks again for the advice. My sifu did say that the true heavy poles is ideal, but he understands the difficulty in finding and obtaining one. He said a "lighter" one could be used for form practice. Anyhow, my search continues.

C.H.

Poles

The guy at Great Lion is now selling poles. They are around nine feet long, tapered and weigh about 5 pounds. If I am not mistaken they are made of purpleheart which is a South American hardwood. He doesn't have them listed on his website but he does have them because we've just ordered some so it might be worth your time to contact him.
    Fun is my Chinese neighbors middle name...

If you just want something to practice with you can simply go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a wooden pole. Tell a guy you're looking for a 2" diameter wooden rod. I think they are for closets to hang clothes on or for heavy curtains. Have them cut you an 8 foot length and voila! - you have a practice Wing Chun pole for about $7-8. We use these for pole vs. knives drills because the knives really chop up the pole pretty badly.

Kuen, Starbuck,

Thanks for the tips! I will look into both.

C.H.