Thread: Chan or Chen?

Question Chan or Chen?

I am wondering if the Chan family name is the same (or different) from the Chen family name?

Chan, as in Jackie Chan. Or Chan, as in Chan Heung (founder of Choy Li Fut).

I have heard two different stories. They are the same last name, but different dialect. I have heard (and seen) that there are two distinctly different Chinese characters for both Chan and Chen.

If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Please provide an URL Link for independent verification purposes. (I am interested in web sites with proper Chinese characters on them, not just the phonetic dialect.) Thank you for your time and consideration.

Surritt Bros. Kung-Fu San Soo
    P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Chan, as in Chan Heung, is Cantonese. Chen is the Mandarin version of Chan.

As for different characters, I don't know.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am really interested in the Chinese characters, though. I understand the differences in dialect. The Chinese characters are what allows people in the north (Mandarin) to understand people in the south (Cantonese).

The Chinese characters are what makes or breaks the differences.

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Dunno then.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Hello, I just wanted to let you both know of a website that I use for translating english into Chinese, and vice-versa. It is http://132.229.12.115/CCDICT/index.html

I hope this helps you both.

Dutch

Thank you for posting that on-line Chinese dictionary for everyone. I all ready have it, though. But, I am sure there are a lot of people who didn't know about it, and can certainly benefit from it. Again, thank you!

If anyone does happen to come across any web site's featuring the family surname of Chan in Chinese character, please be sure to post the URL Link. Thank you.

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Re: Chan or Chen?

Originally posted by San Soo Sifu
    I am wondering if the Chan family name is the same (or different) from the Chen family name?

Chan, as in Jackie Chan. Or Chan, as in Chan Heung (founder of Choy Li Fut).

I have heard two different stories. They are the same last name, but different dialect. I have heard (and seen) that there are two distinctly different Chinese characters for both Chan and Chen.

If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. Please provide an URL Link for independent verification purposes. (I am interested in web sites with proper Chinese characters on them, not just the phonetic dialect.) Thank you for your time and consideration.
    It Chan is Cantonese, Chen is Mandarin. The character in Chinese is the SAME. Others include Chin in Hakka, Tan in Hokkien...but all use the same character.

http://www.yutopian.com/names/

That has it on there, if you have the right software to view. It has 10 strokes, so scroll down. The simplified version has 7 strokes I believe. That is what you may have seen 2 of

Thank you for posting your reply. You are 100% correct in what you say.

However, that is not the answer I am looking for. Of course, it is my fault for not being more specific in what I was looking for. So, let me take this opportunity to apologize for not being more clear on what I meant.

Please let me explain what I am trying to find. I found the Chinese characters for Jackie Chan's name. (There is only like a gazillion web hits for his name, sheesh!) I was able to find several pictures of Jackie Chan, with his name spelled out in English, and the Chinese characters underneath. I looked at three different photos, just to make sure they were all on the same sheet of music.

Now, Jackie Chan's family surname of Chan, is different from the surname of Chen (at least the Chinese character I am interested in).

What I would like to find now, is Chan Heung's name in Chinese characters. Yes, I can find numerous web site's dealing with Choy Lee Fut (Choy Lay Fut, whatever); and I have found numerous portraits of Chan Heung on these different web sites. However, all of them have his name, "Chan Heung" spelled out in English (phonetic spelling, that is).

None, zip, zero, nada, zelch web sites that I have found so far have Chan Heung's name in Chinese characters.

That is what I am looking for. Preferably a "shrine" portrait of Chan Heung, framed around his face with a poem or such, and of course his name in Chinese characters.

If anyone has an URL Link to a Choy Lee Fut web site that has Chan Heung's portrait in the above mentioned setting, along with his name in Chinese characters, please post it here. Thank you.

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Talking OK, there are many confusions around here...

San Soo Sifu,

QUOTE: I found the Chinese characters for Jackie Chan's name...
    Now, Jackie Chan's family surname of Chan, is different from the surname of Chen (at least the Chinese character I am interested in).

Now, Jackie Chan's real name is Chan Kongsang (Cantonese) or Chen Gangsheng (Mandarin)... his surname is exactly the same as the Chan of Chan Heung. BUT, Jackie Chan is known in Asia as Sing Long/Cheng Long, his stage name which means literally "Becoming Dragon". Nobody in Asia calls Jackie Chan "Chan Kongsang", they all call him Sing Long, he calls himself Sing Long... So, it seems to me that the characters you've found where those of Sing Long and not Chan Kongsang. Did you found 2 characters (Sing Long) or 3 characters (Chan Kong Sang)?

Furthermore, there are two ways to write the surname Chan/Chen, one is the Fanti/Traditional with 10 strokes (Hongkong, Taiwan) and one Jianti/Simplified version with 7 strokes (Mainland China). The two versions are quite similar but for uninitiated it might become a problem to identify it.

Hope this will help,

Ming Fai

Thank you for posting your response.

Do you know of any URL Links that may have Chan Heung's name written in Chinese characters, with his portrait, with or without a "shrine" type of setting?

If you do, please post them here. Thank you.

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Go to www.clfma.com

At the top it says Chen Family Choy Lee Fut Kung Fu something or other in Chinese (I forget exactly and can't be bothered to check!)

You should find your Chen character there.

Thank you for posting that information.

I shall go and check it out right now. Thank you, again!

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

To Serpert:

Thank you for your time and effort, but that was a no go.

The first Chinese character (reading from left to right) means:

English
    [1] [n] nation; country; nation-state; state; kingdom [2] national; governmental [3] Chinese [4] a Chinese family name

http://132.229.12.115/cgi-bin/view.p...ngyong,english

-----------------------------------

The second Chinese character means:

English
    [1] [n] border; boundary; edge [2] (to occur) at the time or on the occasion of [3] by the side of; beside [4] in the middle; between; among [5] opportunity; fortune; luck

http://132.229.12.115/cgi-bin/view.p...utping,english

-------------------------------------

The third Chinese character is "Choy"
    The fourth Chinese character is "Lee or Lay"
    The fifth Chinese character is "Fut"
    The sixth Chinese character is "Kung"
    The seventh Chinese character is "Fu"

I don't know what the eighth and ninth Chinese characters are, but I am pretty sure neither one is for Chan Heung. But, I could be wrong?

Thank you again for your help. Take it easy.

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117

Still hoping?

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far, and their effort in helping. Thank you!

I am still hoping that someone out there may know of an URL Link to a web site that has Chan Heung's name in Chinese characters, framed around his portrait, in a "shrine" type of photograph or painting.

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by San Soo Sifu; 06-06-2002 at 05:05 PM.

P.O. Box 4533
    Salem, OR
    97302-8533
    (503) 508-1117