Thread: In search of Dr. Ng

Question In search of Dr. Ng

Hello,
    I once trained in Ng Family Style under a student of Dr. John Winglok Ng.
    I had to stop training with him due to relocation.
    I am noe searching fo Dr. Ng or a Teacher of Ng Family Style in Indiana.

If anyone knows where I can contact Dr. Ng
    or of any Ng Family instructors in Indiana please let me know

Thanks in advance,
    Daniel

Hello Daniel:

In 1983 I went to The Four Seasons Martial Arts school in Lexington, KY. I studied taiji under Tom Phillips who was with John Ng at the school.

About a year or so ago I posted and one of his students indicated John was still aiive (I had heard he died) and had a pharmacy in one of the small towns of KY. Bowling Green, KY?????

I lost all my e-mail and thereby lost the contact.

I think one of his students, Pickens, still teaches and has a website. I visited it but this was about a year or so back.

Good luck in your search. I will watch your posting for others.

Thanks

Thanks for the info.
    I studied under Mark Speck Who was a student of the The Pickens Bro's (Rick & Tim).
    That was back in 1989.
    I moved and lost track of Sifu Speck when I began my training up here with Sifu Zhang.
    Do you remember anything about the websight that might help me find it?

Thanks Agian I appreciate it.
    Daniel

Hey guys,

I would like the url to the Pickens brothers site too. Rick Pickens was my first Sifu nearly 20 years ago. Dr. Ng is in Whitesburg last I heard. You might try telephone directory service for Isom Kentucky and ask for Ng Family Martial Arts under Frank Sexton. Also, you might want to try here: Au's Shaolin Arts, Kentucky the owner is a student of Dr. Ng's as well.

Post good luck

i too once studied under a disciple of Dr. NG and from what i gathered from him was that dr. NG does not teach anymore. he has students that teach but they are very few and far between. my old teacher lives in tennessee and i have no idea where.
    its good to see folks searching for his disciples. Dr. Ng was and still is a good man and his disciples are good teachers as well.

Many Respects,,, The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Thanks for the help

Shane, Thanks for the help.
    I am in Muncie Indiana (east central) I have some other questions for you if you contact me privately please.
    My E-mail is taoistdragon@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]

Thanks again,
    Daniel

Question

What are the origins behind Ng family kung fu? What sorts of sets are performed and what kind of training?
    Is there another style it is similar to or is related to?
    As a side note, when doing a search for information, I came across another Ng family style kung fu, apparently it is Wing Chun and not related to this particular branch. I could be wrong though.

Ground Dragon the Ng family you found teach Choy Lay Fut and Wing Chun. Ng is their last name hence the "Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association" but they don't practice any actual "Ng style".

p.s. Is there actually a "Ng style" of martial arts?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

I don't know personally. The style I'm speaking of is taught by a John Ng who has resided in Ky for quite a few years (Bowling Green, Lexington and now Whitesburg).
    He teaches his own family style (simply called Ng Family style kung fu or something to that effect). I haven't been able to find any info on it at all really. It seems to begin and end with him and the students he has in Ky, unless I'm missing something.

Talking i know what was taught

but im not gonna tell ya.

Many Respects ,,the willow sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

The Willow Sword:

Your poem by Li Po is the biggest clue as best I can remember from 1984.

I remember the Four Seasons well and would like to know if anyone knows the whereabouts of Tom Phillips who taught there and left in 1984.

John Ng won't remember me but I remember him quite well. At the time I left, he was on crutches and wrote a note of introductory for me to the old Nick Scrima's school in Parma, Ohio.

Good memories.

Oh yeah, he also had an article in the old John Painter's Internal Arts Magazine on Xing Yi and was probably the first or second issue.
    Last edited by RAF; 07-17-2002 at 09:58 AM.

stiv

Four seasons is back in Lexington and Massachusetts.

Website www.4smma.com.

They are both run by students of John Dufresne. I was just there last weekend.