Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese Warrior Monks...our world's Jedi Knights?

Ironfist - Scotty and Red kind of made my point. If I were in Star Wars, I'd be Han.

Yes KC - a whining Han.

Yoda though should be the Chinese internal guy that whips his chi out
    I hope that's "Chi" in the traditional sense. Sicko

Yoda that kind of man he not.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

not quite jedi...

It is indeed interesting that Lucas created the Jedi knights as a religious/spiritual order with much apparent philosophical influences from Asian/Chinese thought. But that's where the similarities really stop. Lets not forget that the Jedi Knights are an order of warrior peacekeepers. The Shaolin are monks. Although history does indicate that the Shaolin did get involved in a couple conflicts through their long history, they were NOT a bunch of crusading warriors as some seem to assume. They were not guardians of the free world. They were meditating, lotus position-sitting, mantra chanting monks...plain and simple. Yes, they were known to use martial arts exercises as one of the ways to enlightenment (and also in case they had to defend their temple), but that hardly qualifies them as warriors. With the exception of a couple poorly documented, isolated incidents in history and a healthy dose of folklore and speculation, there is really no evidence to support the assumption that they were awesome warriors. As Yoda might say, Jedi they are not

Remember that the way Luke meets Yoda in Empire Strikes Back is very similar to the old stories of masters posing as ignorants.

There's a story of Wang Xiangzhai that resembles very much the Yoda/Luke meeting (Without the "MINE, MINE, MINE!!! part, of course)

"I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Actually the Jedi are closer to Samurai than anything else.

The fight choreography used in Empire and Jedi used a lot of Kendo, although in the new flicks, Nick Gallards sword play is definitely more swashbuckling with some chinese influences (more in Episode 1 due to Ray Park).

Peace

Hop...

My Yoda voice kicks *** though.
    Can do it in Italian as well.
    Last edited by NYerRoman; 06-08-2002 at 12:29 AM.

wish there were REAL jedi....

Goodnight guys.

(and I can too break bricks! ...... just not 15 )

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

There ARE real Jedi.

Just because a guy can't shoot lightning bolts or do clairvoyance or read minds doesn't mean that he can't be "in tune" with the universe's "Force".

When one thinks about it, those types of Jedi skills really aren't a big deal. Now being able to get up in the morning and enjoy the day - THAT's what real Jedi get into.

Definitely the Shaolin monks are not like Jedi Knights, who protect the peace and go out into the world to help others.

I'd think of guys like Colin Powell and Donald Rumsfeld as "Jedi" before I'd think of Shaolin monks.

Ironfist - Scotty and Red kind of made my point. If I were in Star Wars, I'd be Han.
    If I were in starwars I would be the surly guy in the cantina who gets his arm cut off.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

DONALD RUMSFELD! How American is that!

If you'd have said Mother Teresa I would have said OK, but Donald Rumsfeld?!

I have lost all respect for you
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

If the Jedi were real, I doubt they would sell out like the Shaolin Monks have, they're so Hollywood.

"Appearing at Caesars Palace for the fifth time, Pepsi Max presents the Shaolin Monks!!"

I reckon kendo fits best with the lightsabres and basically Japanese martial arts and philosophies overall. Also I don't really find anything Chinese in Star Wars.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Nyer,
    Now THAT is amusing.
    Zvika