Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese Warrior Monks...our world's Jedi Knights?

Chinese Warrior Monks...our world's Jedi Knights?

Well, I'm a big big Star Wars fan, and this question popped into my head.

I was thinking, if we had to name the closest organization in resemblance to the Jedi Order of Star Wars and the people that come closest to being Jedi Knights, I tend to think Monk Worriors of the Shaolin Temple in China.

Jedi cannot marry, cannot have possessions and dedicates their lives to the service of others, peacekeepers of the galaxy. And using the Force they are some bad arses...and can do amazign feats that no other human can.

Well, I don't know much about Shaolin monks, though I would think they have perhaps similar philosophical views. Taosim and Buddhism and what not, becoming one with nature and living in harmony with it etc etc...

And also, there is for example a show by Chinese Shaolin monks called the Wheel of Life, and in that show those people do amazing things that seem "supernatural" to the normal person.

That's why I seem to compare them.

I would like to know your thoughts on this, and I would also like to discuss what these legendary monks could and can do, and which "legends" are true and which arent...

you know, jumping 2 meters into the air, breaking stone and brick with punches etc...

also, if you would, include in your response what most amazing feat you can do physically. Can you do a back flip? Can you stand upright on your two fingers?

Look at this!

"The Piercing Finger as hard as a diamond"

Alkerian
    Last edited by Alkerian; 06-05-2002 at 01:36 PM.
    "Expect nothing; be prepared for anything."-Samurai saying

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."- Confucius

"I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."- Booker T. Washington

"When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

Welcom Fellow Star Wars fan to the Jedi Council Foru.....oh wait! This is the kungfu forum!

I always site Bruce Lee and Luke Skywalker as my inspirations for getting into the martial arts, no joke.

Dammnit Red how many times must I remind you that there are no green swords in wing chun!
    Last edited by ewallace; 06-05-2002 at 01:43 PM.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Well, from a strictly political standpoint, I can definately see the similarities.

Both were isolated communities, which grew both powerful and conceited in that power and isolation. Both factioned, both rebelled, both were used by governments and by politicians to complete goals which the monks/jedi themselves would have never approved. And, ultimately, both were destroyed.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

That's a very interesting point of view. Never thought of it that way. First thing that comes to mind is their exeptional physical skills...

There is no organization that i can think of that would fit the jedi knight profile. i have thought of this as well,,and i think that when george lucas was creating the jedi he was using several sources to create this society of individuals. i do not doubt that buddhist monks were one of his sources.

others that i can think of would be the yogi's and the seiks.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Shaolin temple is a great comparison to the new starwars films.

They both are now trying to generate cash out of somthing that was great but is now water'd down while trying to make out that they are as good and of the same line as the origional.

(got to say I loved the last film...Yoda was great .....but its not the same.)
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I don't have to use my hands....I'll just blast you with my "chi".
    Ah...Chi = Force no? lol

Serioulsy, what feats can a person do with Chi?

Its ironic guy....

I spend most of my time on this forum telling people that chi is not real...or at least is not magic and can not throw people around the room with out them being touched.

Any way the 2 lines about Chi are new to my posts....about 3 posts old.

(BTW for all you Americans irony don't mean a bit like iron)
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Serioulsy, what feats can a person do with Chi?
    I can do some pretty amazing **** with 2 chi's
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

So you don't think amazing things can be done with Chi?

I dont' really ahve any knoweldge of this matter, but I would like to know what feats can be done with Chi...

for some reason I always think of Crouching tiger hidden dragon movie , and the flying in it as people in some other time having developped Chi soo much that they can do all those things...
    "Expect nothing; be prepared for anything."-Samurai saying

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."- Confucius

"I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him."- Booker T. Washington

"When anger rises, think of the consequences." - Confucius

So, Red5 is going to another forum on the side. That hurts, red. And I totally disagree with what you said about palpatine and sidious, there is no way you can tell me they're not...

oops, wrong forum.

As far as star wars and kung fu, I'd say that the wu tang are closest, in my mind.

I'd also like to point out that every time Ralek comes onto this forum, Kung Lek has used the opportunity to gain more power as a moderator. Sith, anyone?

Which makes Gene yoda.

And, of course, only Delicate Sound whines like Luke.

That was just wrong.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Eventually, I suspect I'm going to be murdered by a red headed english guy.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

So you're saying I'm the attractive golden boy of the film. I can deal with that.

But I can never sleep with Leia...... [sniff].

BTW: Only my Jedi-senses alerted me to this slander.

But yes KC. One day you'll see me at the end of your street.
    Are you by any chance the voice of the teacher in Floyd's The Wall?
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

Palpatine is clone of Sidious that is not force-sensitive, as clones cannot be...

oops...what is this? I'm getting drawnt to SW talk....no will power I swear!