Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional training methods

Burining Budha Palm? What's that?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

We do all kinds of different conditioning exercises at my school. These exerciese include , but are not limited to, the following : 2 man drills where you hit forearms/shins , Sand drills, strikes into the wall , balance drills on a wooden beam (sometimes done as a two man drill, while striking arms).

In other words theres a lot of conditioning out there.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Geez Dragontounge2, you ought to be in a Special Ops. program.

Our folks are expected to "pre-stretch" before class. We then stretch as a class together, this is a work out in itself. Remember, I`m in Tennessee. We then condition the arms (numerous two person hand drills) on to kicking drills(same as mentioned before) then single side Mantis drills. Followed by the two person to the Mantis drills. On to Mantis fighting theory ( more drills) yet put into real fighting (as done in Asia) Then forms work (single side) repetition,repetition,repetition! Then the two person to the forms. Note: Exercises pulled out of the forms, and two person exercises also practiced. End of evening is more conditioning. Combination of arms and legs, mostly leg against leg. This is an ordinary class, sometimes we spice it up!

Keo-kin

We do Keo-kin, KamehA-mehA wave, this is only for the Saiyans though.

reemul, kameha-meha , wasn't he a Hawaiin king?

Otherwise, training methods I learned from Kung fu study that are considered "traditional" or "old style" are Ring training, Iron Palm, Nei Gong (Internal strength exercises of Shaolin), Chi Kung (Qigong-breath work-specifically relating to shaolin), static stance training, box stepping, forms, calesthenics and two man drills such as star blocking, push hands (tai chi style and tiger style), Listening energy exercises, meditation and a few more. I also use a steel upright pole for star blocking training when I am without a partner. Weapons such as sword sets or heavy long weapon sets are quite the workout as well.

There is also heavy bag work, speed bag work and other more traditional western methods associated with pugilistic arts.

There is a terrific variety of exercises found in Kung Fu style training that would appear quite bizarre to a regular workout type of person. "Playing with the pearl" is one that gets heads turning in the corner park.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

KungLek, glad to hear you list listening energy and meditation, an important area often missed in many schools.

was a joke

only the DBZ fans will catch it I suppose

I am dragon ball fan #1. I think I actually am part saiya-jin
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Hey Sevenstar,
    The Buddha Palm is a soft exercise we do to concentrate chi in the palms so that we can eventually learn to project it. It's about a 10 minute exercise.

how long should it to fully develop? I'd imagine it would vary from person to person.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Hey Sevenstar,
    sorry for the delay in replying. It does vary from person to person. After a few months of practice, though, you can feel some kind of force getting stronger and stronger and coming off your palm. My Sifu says that after 5-6 months, you should be able to move a piece of paper attached to a paper clip from a string from 2-3 feet away. The only thing is that you have to do it every single day or you'll lose the effects. I've been a slacker when it comes to this exercise. I'm going to start it today though. If you're intersted, I can let you know how it goes in the next few weeks and months.
    p.s. I know this sounds like one of those really esoteric things, but it's true from when I used to practice it.

Originally posted by Lung Hu Pai
    Hey Sevenstar,
    The Buddha Palm is a soft exercise we do to concentrate chi in the palms so that we can eventually learn to project it. It's about a 10 minute exercise.

do they give ya magazines and stuff, or do you just use your imagination?

hey chingei,
    I know a lot of people are skeptical about chi and whatnot and I did say that it does sound esoteric. But I know what I've felt myself and seen. I saw my Sifu put out a stick of incense from about 10-15 feet away. My buddy who takes it with me saw a demo too, just so that he could show us that it wasn't bs. But personally, please don't try to ridicule me and question my intelligence because it's stupid and childish. I don't post much, so don't bother calling me a troll either; thats even worse. If you want, I can give you the info for my Sifu. Thanks, Azar.

Thumbs up

Definitely let me know how it goes. I've always been interested in that type of thing, and I've seen some weird and unexplainable stuff in my day, so I'm generally open minded.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Lung Hu Pai
    please don't try to ridicule me and question my intelligence because it's stupid and childish. .
    an excellent sentence!