Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Traditional training methods

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Workout

We warm up with some Chang Style Tai Chi and then jump into stance work.. usually bout 25 min of this... then we do belt cracking (Shuai Chiao guys will know what i'm talkin bout).. this is for endurance.. we have a group of sets or we do free style dependin who is there. Then we will do forms.. in changes from Shuai Chiao open hand forms to Shaolin Longfist to White Crane.. dependin on the mood of the instrictor... after that we will pull out the mats and practice falls and then jump into throw practice and finish it up with a little wrestling or kick punch... dependin who has any energy left... oh by the way this can be broken up with a few trips to the bathroom to spew chunks.. I know from experience.. in Tx it tends to get really F'in hot and overheating is common.... not that i like it and all, but nothin some water can't fix

latta

Sil Lim Tao on one leg.

-FJ

Shange De, Tai Chi Praying Mantis training list

Stance training for 15-20, footwork training for 10 (front leg stance, hop, cross stance, horse stance, hop, one leg stance, knee stance, hop to fonrt leg stance, repeat), forms for 15; this is the warmup.

Then, wooden dummy, 3 star blocks/conditioning, additional forms work, 2 man drills (technique and conditioning), qi gong, and 'smack with bat' (I'm poor on terminology - this is a hard qi gong exercise), as the sifu sees fit.
    I LOVE this stuff!

Re: Shange De, Tai Chi Praying Mantis training list

Originally posted by simon_peter

Then, wooden dummy, 3 star blocks/conditioning, additional forms work, 2 man drills (technique and conditioning), qi gong, and 'smack with bat' (I'm poor on terminology - this is a hard qi gong exercise), as the sifu sees fit.
    Could it be arm banging you're speaking about. I friggin' LOVE arm banging. We make a game of it by trying bang hard enough to "bounce" the other guy out.

If you've ever played it like this you probably know exactly what I mean by Bounce, LOL

Sounds like a solid program SP, I like it.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

This is level 5 before one qualifies for the sifu training program:

40 minutes of sun punches
    40 mantis pushups
    400 frog jumps
    2000 fight jumps
    50 bridge push ups
    100 fingertip wheelbarrow walks
    100 single leg squats
    40 handstand pushups
    100 centipede jumps

(there are other physical fitness components which are numerous but I don't have the handbook in front of me and I'm typing this from memory)

Ironbody training 3
    8 stances 10 minutes each

Application of the sets(2 man)

Li pi
    Xiao Fen che
    Da fen che
    7 hands
    Lan Jie
    Zhai Yao

simon_peter: is the "smack w/ bat" akin to iron body/iron forearm training in your mantis?

Yesterday I had a typical (and traditional) training routine:

Jump rope
    Baduanjin
    Shendun
    Yangwotuiju
    Yingla
    Yijingjing
    Yaotui

laterthannever
    there are things missing in your list, like the applications joint locks all the medicine 8 brocade qigong, candle blow out etc etc but yes I agree the phsyical fitness numbers are ridiculous Shyun allowed me to do half because it was such a long day, we went like 7 and half hours for my test, thank God after the frog jumps begins the push ups portion are like 3 sets of 100? or something like that.. yeah right.
    Im glad i di it when i was young
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

sorry forgot to answer the question. we do most everything traditional including stances iron palm training qigong, dynamic tension exercises etc etc we even bow coming in and leaving kwoon, something that over looked nowadays
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

ED,

Yes..I'm going by memory. There are some things I omitted

gotcha, yeah its long list. I forgot who did you train under you may have answered but I cant remember for the life of me, are you still training
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

A typical day at the Kwoon...

The first half of our 2 hour class is conditioning and the second half is either forms, techniques or sparring depending on the day, which is on a rotating schedule. Forms, technique and sparring are self explanatory so I'll just break down the conditioning.

200 - 1000 jumping jacks.
    100 - 200 various knuckle, palm and mantis type pushups.
    100 - 200 sit-ups, crunches and or other abdominal conditioning.
    50 or so reverse crunches or "super mans" as we called them.
    100 - 200 Horse stance squats, lunges or other leg burners.
    100 forward and 100 backward shoulder rotations and then hold them out until it burns really good.
    Lots of stretching.
    Wall sitting with thighs parallel to the ground for 5 min or more. At this point most new students have all but collapsed and the veterans are shaky legged and only a few are good to go for some more.

We then break for a drink and then get back for some more conditioning such as Iron Body or Iron Palm work, dragon crawling, duck walking, crab walking, rolls, break falls and several other crazy things that Sifu comes up with.

Then onto forms, techniques or sparring.

I usually follow a good workout with some chi work and then a tall glass of apple juice which helps to move the lactic acid out of the muscles and a good meal. After belt tests or rough sparring nights I will soak in a bath of hot water, apple cider vinegar and epsom salts. The ratio I use is 3 parts epsom salts, 1 part apple cider vinegar.

Edit: I forgot to mention focus pads and heavy bag work. On our sparring days we sometimes break the Kwoon up into 3 zones for 3 mins each, first being the heavy bag, then to the grappling area then to the standup. Many non martial artists just don't get how taxing 9 minutes of all out exertion is on the body and when you do it over and over again during a sparring class it's just a gut buster. I love it!
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 02-01-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    The following is a 100% TCMA training method.

- Your left hand grab on your opponent's right wrist.
    - Your right hand grab on his left wrist.
    - You raise up his right arm.
    - You pull down his left arm.
    - You slide in and strike your right shoulder on his chest.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Calisthenics can be done at home on your own time, classes should be for interaction between students which Leeds to corrections and questions of application interaction etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Calisthenics can be done at home on your own time, classes should be for interaction between students which Leeds to corrections and questions of application interaction etc....
    Like a discussion around a bridge table?

Did you ever notice at schools that don't do calisthenics, almost everyone is out of shape? It's almost like they don't workout at home and go to that class because they won't have to break a sweat there either...