Thread: "Internals" and Knifighting?

"Internals" and Knifighting?

What are some of the ideas contained in the so-called IMAs to dealing with knife assaults? What about applying the same or different ideas of IMAs in developing your own knife-fighting methods?

My own launch-ponts involve getting into the general details of a knife assault.

ie. Rage-attacks aren't the same as an abduction scenario.

Something which almost always applies is how the emotional context of an attack will dictate the manner in which an assailant "uses" the weapon.

Your own thoughts?

I'm not good enough to deal with a knife attack. I'll let that be known in the beginning. That being said, here are some general thoughts I have on the use of blades in a "situation"

It's good to carry a knife. They are excellant equalizers in the event you are attacked by a group. The use of a knife is also considered justified in the event 4 or 5 thugs want to beat you into the pavement. At least that is my understanding.

I seriously doubt anyone here will ever be in a knife on knife fight. They don't happen like that. If someone pulls a knife on you, you wil either be:
    A. dead because he wanted to kill you in the first place and you never saw the knife coming. Or
    B. much better off picking up a brick or any other weapon of opportunity as you will probably be dead if you go for your knife after you see his drawn.

I still prefer handguns, but they're not the best tool for every situation.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Shooter,

You KNEW you were gonna hook me with a thread title like this one .

Training with empty hands and a variety of weapons are a regular part of my neijia teaching/training. With a background in both Baguazhang AND Kali, this seems a natural thing to train. As for responses, they can be similar to those used against empty attacks, but obviously they HAVE to count, and they have to work right the first time, every time.

I also have done quite a bit of development in the use of both the short stick and the knife with Baguazhang applications. The idea is to have Kali's knife skill combined with internal arts power generation and fluidity.