Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zatoichi

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    The Returner blew.
    Strangely, I kind of agree which is why I said I didn't know why I liked it!!!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

ha ha saw it already!!

Miramax invited the cast from my play(White Eyebrow and the Destruction of Shaolin for those that don't know) to a private screening to get our martial arts opinion on it, i won't give any spoilers, but i will say this: zatoichi will spark the summer action flicks and most if not all action films in 2004 will be jugded by it at least those with martial arts in them(even hero is not exempt)

Re: ha ha saw it already!!

Originally posted by doug maverick
    Miramax invited the cast from my play(White Eyebrow and the Destruction of Shaolin for those that don't know) to a private screening to get our martial arts opinion on it, i won't give any spoilers, but i will say this: zatoichi will spark the summer action flicks and most if not all action films in 2004 will be jugded by it at least those with martial arts in them(even hero is not exempt)
    I just checked your Profile. Seems we have the same intrests. Flimmaking and such....and of course Gung fu.
    How you doing? The name's Aaron.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    Is the new Zatoichi coming out in theatres in the USA?

Anyone know?
    It's out on DVD...I seen it around at like FYE (an entertanment store).

But I think we must learn from what happened with Hero and Shaolin soccer.
    There were many rumors that there will be showing in theatres only to see that after more than a year later, zero results.

History does repeat itself.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

the names doug!

whats up aaron!
    yeah i like filmmaking. i just finished a student film called the wrong mind it was based on a short story i wrought. right now i'm doing two things one i'm trying to produce a play i already did called white eyebrow and the destruction of shaolin. the play did very well in it's first production but it had a alot of kinks now i'm working on taking out those kinks to have a truly great play. hopefully it will be on stage but august. my other project is still up in the air as to weather i'll get it or not but it's a chance to direct my first indie so i hope i get it. feel free to e-mail me man if you got any potiential project ideas i'm always willing to work with new people. i'm also i writer so if you have any script ideas but you just don't know how to put them on paper i can help you with that

Re: the names doug!

whats up aaron!
    yeah i like filmmaking. i just finished a student film called the wrong mind it was based on a short story i wrought. right now i'm doing two things one i'm trying to produce a play i already did called white eyebrow and the destruction of shaolin. the play did very well in it's first production but it had a alot of kinks now i'm working on taking out those kinks to have a truly great play. hopefully it will be on stage but august. my other project is still up in the air as to weather i'll get it or not but it's a chance to direct my first indie so i hope i get it. feel free to e-mail me man if you got any potiential project ideas i'm always willing to work with new people. i'm also i writer so if you have any script ideas but you just don't know how to put them on paper i can help you with that
    That's really kickass!
    I hope it goes boradway.

Yea, I just had an idea for a movie. It sort of has a message where that using anti-bacteral soap is bad. It may sound sort of funny now but if I explain most of the plot to you you'll see how scary it can be.

I heard some where that you really don't want to make a too big of an action flick wiht inde flicks. So I'm trying to get my friend who all he wants to do is battle scenes to more drama.

Any tips at all would be great.

From good stage blood (if you know how the HK actors did it...or whatever) to making things look different than they are.
    Anything I could really use.

Thanks alot, man. Hopefully you won't steal my ideas, ha ha ha.

And if not I will concider you as my best rescorce.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

whats going on aaron

well when it comes to indie's it is hard (and potientialy un-safe)to do gun scenes. The Crow with brandon lee had a 12 million dollar budget and you know what happen there!!! fight scene however can be really good even better then hollywood if it's done right. remmeber every hk film is considered low-budget to hollywood standards. you just need someone who knows how to a)set up good fight scenes and b) someone who knows how to shoot those scenes. fight directing is like surgery not every docter can do it.

Re: whats going on aaron

well when it comes to indie's it is hard (and potientialy un-safe)to do gun scenes. The Crow with brandon lee had a 12 million dollar budget and you know what happen there!!! fight scene however can be really good even better then hollywood if it's done right. remmeber every hk film is considered low-budget to hollywood standards. you just need someone who knows how to a)set up good fight scenes and b) someone who knows how to shoot those scenes. fight directing is like surgery not every docter can do it.
    Hmm...I need pratice then.

If you got AIM hit me up. Hot Fury Curry is my sn.

-CPD hostage negotiator

8. Since it looks like Zatoichi is hitting the US theatres a bit more right now, I thought I'd just bring this back from the dead.

I'd recommend seeing it, but I'd more strongly recommend joining Netflix and seeing the originals (they about 20 of the originals there). My complaints with the new one.

1) As mentioned, the CGI is a bit obvious in places.. in particular, blood.
    2) The platinum blonde hair has got to go.
    3) It's not Shintaro Katsu. (They can't really help that though.)
    4) They weren't true to Zatoichi's character. In particular, I'm talking about the dice game massacre. Although, that was a familiar scene in the original Zatoichi movies, he never would've attacked like that. He *always* attacked in retaliation.

Still, a good movie. I've had the DVD for a while (can't watch it as much as I want since my main DVD player doesn't like it.) It's in more theatres now in the US then it's ever been, so see if it's playing near you.

9. Oh, and I just saw the article on KFM. I have problems with this line:

"bringing back the pleasure and charm of watching films like THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN and any of Akira Kurosawa's classic samurai films."

Comparing the new Zatoichi movie to those movies, particularly Akira Kurosawa, is heresy. They don't compare... at all.

But, I would like to mention that one of the original Zatoichi movies is Zatoichi vs. the One-Armed Swordsman, and another is Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo, with no other than Toshiro Mifune. (I haven't seen the latter, but I just ordered it off of eBay. Anything less than pure perfection with Zatoichi and Toshiro Mifune's yojimbo character will be a disappointment though.)

And, if you don't know Mifune's yojimbo character, you really owe it to yourself to see Yojimbo and Sanjuro by Akira Kurosawa. (And, pretty much any Kurosawa/Mifune movie, just for good measure.)

i just bought the dvd and im waiting for it in the mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by Lice
    Oh, and I just saw the article on KFM. I have problems with this line:

"bringing back the pleasure and charm of watching films like THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN and any of Akira Kurosawa's classic samurai films."

Comparing the new Zatoichi movie to those movies, particularly Akira Kurosawa, is heresy. They don't compare... at all.
    I think its a mistake to make the comparison in the first place....Zaitochi IMV is best seen as a beat takeshi film (as part of his oeuvre as an auteur) rather than as a zaitochi/samurai film per se. If you see any of his other films like sonatine or hana bi youll know what I mean.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

The new Zatoichi movie.

Wow. A horrible ending...they tried to be different, but they ruined the effect. Katsu seemed a lot more...evil, as well as out of character. Bah. Was I the only one disappointed?

Plus, he can SEE...That was lame. Thumbs down.

-stops editing-
    Last edited by PaiLumDreamer; 12-18-2004 at 09:45 PM.

nej man it ruled
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Hey PaiLumDreamer, you must have stopped watching the movie before the 10 minute tap dance sequence was over (can't blame you). Had you watched the movie to the end you would have seen Zatoichi walking through the forest with his eyes open when all of the sudden he trips over a stone in the ground. His last words in the movie are something like 'even with my eyes wide open I'm blind as a bat'.

But I know what you're saying. When I thought he could see I almost stopped the movie right there. My GF had to tell me "calm down it's just a movie".

How cool was that last fight scene though. Not the guy that he blinds but the fight right before. I was ready for a never ending jackie chan style final brawl with the last boss. They totally turned it around, and made it into a lesson. Fight with your instincts don't plan out your moves.

my vote 10 out of 10

right, u meant the dance part? coz that's the one thing I can find that I really really HATE about this movie. other than that I thought it was great.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."