Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Zatoichi

It was pretty good until he became unblind.

I did watch the ten minute tap dance thing...which made my entire family go "WTF." The reason he said he was still blind as a bat was him trying to make an ironic joke. It...didnt work. The ending just ruined the overall feel.

TAP DANCE! IN A ZAOTOICHI MOVIE!? HOLYGAWD! THE WORLD IS ENDING...

wait...your tellin meee.... they literally stopped the movie to have a dance number? how in the **** did they stick that in there?!?!

that movie was the SHIZNIT!!!! i loved it! the workers in the field, all in rhythm. building the house at the end, all in rhythm. and yes, the dance scene at the end--man, i was groovin' out the whole time!
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Is this out on DVD? I read about it; want to check it out.

Azumi is better
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

zatoichi

I still have yet to see it and I was a huge fan of Shintaro Katsu. Here's the e-zine story we published on it a while back.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Fights were cool...

Too many Geisha Drag queen scenes for me...

Sort of like the new Alexander movie... just too much

hated it

I'm a huge fan of the original series. Shintaro Katsu was phenomenal, not just playing Zatoichi with his eyes rolled up all the time, but also executing exciting sword choreography, some real precision work, with his eyes rolled up. He really was a blind swordsman. I was saddened the day he was busted and mourned the day that I heard of his passing.

Takano's take on Zatoichi spoiled the character - he missed Zatoichi's humor, his compassion, and his human foibles. Could you envision Takano's Zatoichi trying to suckle a baby on his nipple to keep it quiet, then making hilarious blind faces to express how it tickled? Katsu's Zatoichi not only did it, but did it beleivably. Where the film really failed for me was the swordplay. The swordplay was very mediocre. Katsu's work was awe-inspiring, especially in some of his earlier films - long single shot fight scenes with extraordinary complexity. The digital blood, while funny sometimes, particularly where he split an opponent's weapon and took the thumb too, didn't work for me. Give me pumped blood in my chanbara movies, like Lone Wolf and Cub. If you're going to go messy, let's see the fencers flinch from the spray of real red liquid. Actually, the original Zatoichi wasn't that bloody as chanbara films go, so I felt the digital blood was all the more distracting. It was such a cheesy effect; I was never convinced otherwise. I did like the rhythm of the farmers, and the general plotline, but this is Zatoichi - an icon like Godzilla or Yojimbo - you just can't mess with it and turn out a slack job.

I've you've never seen Zatoichi before, check out the originals - they are wonderful. The new version is a feint echo, a poor update, a sorry attempt to use CGI to replace mediocre sword fights.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!

*GROUP HUGG!!!*

Seriously, your the only ones that have any taste. Everywhere I got everyone is like OMG!!11!11 it was soooo gooood!!!

The ending sucked ass.

You cant have godly good orginals...where he never could see...then he could really see all along.

The CG blood was so fake, you could tell...give me the corn starch and food coloring pouches of HK films any day!

The dance wasnt too bad. A good beat...thats about it. hahaha

All hail the orginals...some of them varyed...you know? Like one movie hes really nice, the next movie hes killing everything in his path...like when he was in the forest protecting the boy from the yakaza (always yakaza).

You want to see a good movie this guy was in check out Kikurjiro...that like made me cry.
    And I still want to see Bad Cop. ^__^
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Hey Gene,

Did you like Samurai I, II & III? The story of Musashi Miyamoto...

I am a fan of the actor Toshiro Mifune... He was great!

I saw the old Zatoichi's long ago, but dont remember, Lone Wolf & Club too...

Any recommendations??? I love the style of the Musashi Mifune movies, rooted in Philosophy, no sound effects & Great Swordplay...

Joe

Sow Choy

AS fast as you can, go out and find Zatoichi meets Yojimbo - it's one of MY ALL TIME FAVORITE chanbara movies. Mifune only did his Yojimbo character for four films - the two with Kurosawa, Yojimbo & Sanjuro, which are classics, something called gate of hell or something like that - I can't quite remember - it sucked, and Z meets Y which is one the same level as Godzilla meets King Kong or Frankenstein meets Dracula. An absolute must-see film.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

so in kitano's, he could see at the end? im confused he still looked blind. his eyes were pale like a blind person. Z meets Y, i will have to look for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

just found this guys and ordered mine.
    http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vl...source=adwords
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 01-05-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by Sow Choy
    Hey Gene,

Did you like Samurai I, II & III? The story of Musashi Miyamoto...

I am a fan of the actor Toshiro Mifune... He was great!

I saw the old Zatoichi's long ago, but dont remember, Lone Wolf & Club too...

Any recommendations??? I love the style of the Musashi Mifune movies, rooted in Philosophy, no sound effects & Great Swordplay...

Joe
    I couldnt really sit though all of those movies.

Originally posted by GeneChing
    AS fast as you can, go out and find Zatoichi meets Yojimbo - it's one of MY ALL TIME FAVORITE chanbara movies. Mifune only did his Yojimbo character for four films - the two with Kurosawa, Yojimbo & Sanjuro, which are classics, something called gate of hell or something like that - I can't quite remember - it sucked, and Z meets Y which is one the same level as Godzilla meets King Kong or Frankenstein meets Dracula. An absolute must-see film.
    Theres a Ichi meets Yojimbo?!

No way!

How does that one go?
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

The New Zatoichi

I'm probably way behind on this, but I just caught the new Zatoichi on DVD and all I have to say is this: Is there such a paucity of martial arts movie talent in Japan that they have to CGI the swords in the fight scenes? Maybe they thought they were saving money by using computers rather than practical effects, but my god it looked bad. Combined of course with the wacky foley to make it the completely hokey effect of the year. Somebody write a letter and tell those producers CGI swords don't cut it.
    Last edited by grlyncher99; 09-25-2005 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    ~The table saw is my weapon of
    choice