Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THe Reality Of The Street (Street 101)

Thumbs up Excellent Post!!!

This has got to be one of the best posts I've ever read here. Tons of very usefu information.

It seems to me that, the more I learn about MA and REAL combat situations, the more I realise that mind training is just as important and body training (if not more).

Someone with the right mindset seems to always win the fight.

I also agree that the eyes give away a lot.

Look at Lewis and Tyson at the weekend. Before the fight all my money was on Tyson, because of his past success and reputation.

However, when I first saw him enter the arena, his eyes were twitching. He was looking around at the people in the arena, ie not focused. I'd never seen Tyson like this before.

Then Lewis came out. He had rock solid focus. Tunnel vision set on the ring. He looked relaxed and completely composed.

At that point, to me, the outcome was set.

I think that if I am ever in a real street situation I will be looking to the eyes to "read" the guy's intent.

Any of you guys got any good techniques for mind training??
    "You pour water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You pour water into a bottle it becomes the bottle. You pour Whisky into me I become a teapot."

Excellent post. It really reinforces the one lesson that we should never forget: avoidance, always. The street is a very dangerous place and there are too many variables at play to be confident of winning a confrontation: after 19 years of serious training in CMA I enjoy my skills and my practice more then ever, and yet the more I do, the more I wish I never have to use them in the streets.

Wall

Braden Guest

Thumbs up

Good job. Keep spreading the info, it will save someone's life.

4. Originally posted by chingei
    Most Street Fights Are Over Very Quickly:

- most fights are usually over within the first 5-10 seconds
    - Very rare to see a street fight last longer that 10-15 seconds

I disagree
    Care to elaborate on your extensive streetfighting experience, chingei?
    - Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist magazine

To be honest, I didn't read every letter word for word, so I don't know if this was addressed. But, as in my Kung Fu training where we are taught to be relaxed with all of our movements, including the quick and hard striking movements..I think a key in a street fight is to remain as relaxed as possible because it keeps your mind and body free to be aware of and respond to your surroundings. If you get too tensed up and caught up in the moment, not only will your body not react as fluidly and quickly, you can become "brainlocked" and end up totally unaware of your surroundings. The brainlock will aslo keep those techniques that you've learned and practiced over and over from coming to the forefront of your mind and you'll revert to simply being in a survival mode of throwing senseless punches or even worse cowering in a defensive posture. Also, don't forget the knees and elbows....I think the nature of most street fights negates the effectiveness of kicking (unless you kick before the gap is closed) because you usually end up locked in a tussle, but those knees and elbows can be very valuable. Also....more things keep coming to mind...try to make every strike count. Don't go striking aimlessly...if you kick, do it to the groing or knee, if you knee, go to the groing or jaw, when you strike with your hands, go to the temple, throat, solar plexes, kidneys, groing. Grabbing is good also, grab the throat and squeeze the heck out of it, grab the doodles, grab and put a finger or two in their eyes. Keep the punches and strikes very strait, don't get in to throwing a bunch of wild circular type punches you see people throwing, throw quick, short, direct punches. The last thing....to me there are different types of fights and sometimes it's hard to gauge, other times it's easy, but in some cases the fights are fairly innocent in the sense that it's some drunk or ******* at a bar where he's just trying to prove his badness and his intention is just to show he's tougher than you, and in some cases you may even know the person, but then there's the other type of fight where you can tell the person is out to really do some damage to you, and in the latter case, don't hesitate to pick up a nearby weapon.. brick, pole, or whatever, to get whatever advantage you can and to end things as quickly as possible and do whatever damage to him as he was trying to do to you.

That was awesome..had to print that out.

That is one of the more informative posts I have ever run across. Thanks.

Wink

This exact article was posted by Ryu on the main kung fu forum months ago!...
    Here!

Originally posted by Sharp Phil

Care to elaborate on your extensive streetfighting experience, chingei?
    what would you like to know?

9. It's a pretty simple question. Relate for us, if you would, the number of street fights in which you've been a participant. Could you describe them, tell us how they worked out, what worked for you, and so forth? You've indicated that your experience differs from Darren's; I'd like to hear how.
    - Phil Elmore

Publisher, The Martialist magazine

Originally posted by Sharp Phil
    It's a pretty simple question. Relate for us, if you would, the number of street fights in which you've been a participant. Could you describe them, tell us how they worked out, what worked for you, and so forth? You've indicated that your experience differs from Darren's; I'd like to hear how.
    Well, since I'm no longer a teenager I don't keep a running tally of the number of fights I've been in, or the number of women I've bedded. Suffice to say that one is higher than I'd like and one lower than I'd like.

Just kidding. A few dozen or so I'd guess. They majority of them have worked out in my favor. A good number simply 'ended' when the crowd intervened, or authorities arrived, or both parties simply couldn't be bothered any more. A handful worked out to my considerable disadvantage.

Every one ended up on the ground at some point. Every one lasted considerably longer than 10-15 seconds.

I've benefited quite a lot from the fact that most people become disoriented and anxious on the ground. The majority of opponents have had at least 30-50 pounds on me (some quite a lot more) and most have tended to be large drunks throwing big looping hooks.

a high threshold for pain and a slightly crazed attitude have been as useful as any particular skill in convincing folks that it ain't gonna be their day.

Of course now I'm a cultured gentleman who abhors violence and merely engages in spirited debate to settle disagreements.

or some such ****.

Yup...CHINGEL experience is typical of how most fights end! Usually the drunk tirade attempt to kill u...and of course once it hits the ground...fellow friends or bouncers break it up!

The real dangerous ones are the one between cliques actually roused to fight. Then u have issues.
    A

Ever seen two 40 something rednecks fight over a drunk woman? That's when sh!t gets real serious.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Great post! Stuff like this should be mandatory reading for any martial artist. It's amazing how all the training, street fights, etc are really no substitute for situational awareness, maturity and common sense.

in a street fight do not go defensive, attack the attack, go offensive, you deploy FIRST STRIKE and continue with a compound attack
    I think this is a very, very important point. I have never seen nor participated in a fight where the winner was passive. There was no boxing style exchange of blows. Many states have laws to determine what is or isn't excessive force. Sometimes to the effect of "if someone strikes you once, you may strike them back once. If you strike twice, you are now the agressor". So be it. You all know the famous saying...
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

.... Better to be Big Earls b!tch than carried by six.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.