Thread: How many bricks can you break?

Question How many bricks can you break?

How many unsupported bricks can you brake? Are they solid or two hole brick?
    Toughen my sinews, harden my bones,
    Make my blood flow freely,
    I will then be young forever
    In touch with the realm of goads.

What does brick breaking have to do with martial arts?
    I have a signature.

Lightbulb ahhhhh

nOW IN this FORUM THE real QUESTION SHOULD BE "HOW MANY BRICKS HAVE YOU HAD BROKEN OVER YOU?"

my answer is 5 patio stones 12x12inch and about 3 inches thick.
    broke with a sledgehammer over my stomach and chest. IRON SHIRT. heh heh not lately though,,my iron shirt has temporarlily turned into jello shirt.

Many Respects,,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Surely for the bricks to break they would have to exist and for me to break those bricks I too would have to exist.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

Bricks have feelings too!

What have they done to upset you? Leave them whole and in one piece you cruel slate snappers, boulder breakers, slab shatterers and brick beaters you!!

Somehow I just don't think this topic is going to get the respect it deserves.

*cough*
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Brick breaking

unfortunately means nothing in reality. It usually means carpal and meta-carpal damage and qi and blood stagnation plus channel damage too. I've never seen the point to it and long time brick breaking seems to do nothing but kill the hand and all its sensitivity. I recall a recollection from Robert Smiths "Masters and methods" book where he speaks of a famous externalist who spends so much time in conditioning his hands he could merely slap a brick and break it it with the flat of his palm, however his hand was so dead and gone he was unable to pick up a coin or pencil from the floor. What did this martial artist really acheive through his palm conditioning???? A dead hand with little day to day practical use.

Thumbs up

I tried that out once and I broke many...bones!
    No bricks,sorry.

Seriously.
    Have not done that,but I donīt consider it as nuts as people (previously posted) do.
    It is once classic part of training (mainly karate,TKD etc.) So it probably has a lot to do with martial arts,whether we like it or not.What possibly happens during "breaking" training is:
    1.Some kind of injury,probably few walk away from it unharmed.
    2.Joint problems-joints stiffen.
    Example:I heard about a veteran who probably had a hard hand but also "had hard time touching his thumb with little finger"
    As long as one will be able to stand the consequences-both good and bad.

The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

My sifu says he used to break bricks. Don't know how many, I assume one.

-FJ

I trod on a lego brick once and it smashed into many pieces.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony,
    May all beings live wisely,
    May all beings be enlightened.

Cool dragontounge2

Brick breaking is not that important. Technique,practicing form, training internally are more importanr. Breaking is only a sliver of you MA training pie. Peace.
    xiaotiema