Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tamo Sword (Jing Mo)

Yeah, I remember that one.. this one wasn't quite as good...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Re: Very cool

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Pretty soon, we'll be the lyrical library here.
    Not sure if I'd use the term 'fairyman' tho... no disrespect, but it just sounds queer....
    gotta agree on coolness factor, very great to someone posting lyrics!!

In reality though, why is it called damos' sword???????? He had a thin robe and little else

ahh.gotta luv a tribute ha

Tamo/Damo Sword set

Hi Everyone,

I felt like resurrecting this theard partly because I found a clip of it online and that I learned this set (couple of years ago) but never really worked on it until recently. I never learned the name...not too interested in the translation...perhaps one day will learn the Chinese names.

Anyhoo....here is the clip: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28227074798052

It kind of different from the version I learned but the basic frame work (moves and order of them) is there like e.g. coiling old tree roots & 4 gate sword (or whatever the correct names are)

One major move difference I notice is in the way she makes circles with her sword...she does it from her wrist...(i.e. look at video 1:07mins into it) while I was taught to axis closer to the middle of the sword.

What do you guys do???

ironsilk

the link you gave is to the Shaolin Temple "Damo Gim" which is not the same as the Chin Woo Da Mo Gim.

Hi,
    A while back I made this for my teacher and classmates, it is my own translation of the lyrics along with the pictures from Zhao's book:

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?i...amojianct6.gif

beiquan

excellent work.

thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    ironsilk

the link you gave is to the Shaolin Temple "Damo Gim" which is not the same as the Chin Woo Da Mo Gim.
    well my instructor has learned both versions of Damo Sword and preferred the one similar the clip...but I don't think it is exclusive to the Shaolin Temple...Jing Mo is a culmination of various masters...I am sure this version of Damo Sword could've crept in.

like I said earlier...my version is fairly different in the way it is played...on the basic frame order is the same...

beiquan

thanks for the image it's really cool...I think I saw a book version in chinese of that...excellent!

okay so are you doing the Shaolin Temple Version, the Chin Woo Version or a combo of both?

this is a translation of a vcd on the Shaolin Temple's Version:
    Real Shaolin Kung Fu: Shaolin Bodhidharma Sword VCD
    Performed and demonstrated by Shi Xingsheng
    Explained by Shi Deci
    Published by People's Physical Education Publishing House
    ISBN 7887210437

The sword skill is one of the most important Shaolin "short weapons." From Northern Wei Dynasty till now Shaolin sword has being prosperous all the time, and all the Shaolin monks can manage this weapon skill. Performing the Shaolin sword can keep fit and prolong the life. The Shaolin sword skill includes directing sword, stabbing sword, pointing sword and cutting sword. The routines of the Shaolin sword skill include single sword, Bodhidharma sword, seven-star sword, dragon sword, dragon-spring sword, flying dragon sword, white-monkey sword, plum-blossom sword, black dragon sword, and yang-girl sword, etc.

Shaolin Bodhidharma Sword play was created and passed on by Bodhidharma, the first India monk who came to the Shaolin Temple (where he established and preached Zen Buddhism ). Zen means meditation. This sword is performed as if sitting in meditation. Attacks are hidden and produced in stillness. You should take every opportunity to attack suddenly. In real combat, you should repeat the use of chop or thrust, keep still, drive your force to the tip of the sword, and focus your attention as if you were in meditation. Often used techniques are swing in figure-eight pattern, thrust, cloud, and chop

here's a link to where the book is available

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/lionbks/lb_weapons1.htm

Chaolinho als wrote another sword book. This one is a 2 handed version.
    Last edited by ngokfei; 02-28-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    okay so are you doing the Shaolin Temple Version, the Chin Woo Version or a combo of both?

this is a translation of a vcd on the Shaolin Temple's Version:
    Real Shaolin Kung Fu: Shaolin Bodhidharma Sword VCD
    Performed and demonstrated by Shi Xingsheng
    Explained by Shi Deci
    Published by People's Physical Education Publishing House
    ISBN 7887210437

The sword skill is one of the most important Shaolin "short weapons." From Northern Wei Dynasty till now Shaolin sword has being prosperous all the time, and all the Shaolin monks can manage this weapon skill. Performing the Shaolin sword can keep fit and prolong the life. The Shaolin sword skill includes directing sword, stabbing sword, pointing sword and cutting sword. The routines of the Shaolin sword skill include single sword, Bodhidharma sword, seven-star sword, dragon sword, dragon-spring sword, flying dragon sword, white-monkey sword, plum-blossom sword, black dragon sword, and yang-girl sword, etc.

Shaolin Bodhidharma Sword play was created and passed on by Bodhidharma, the first India monk who came to the Shaolin Temple (where he established and preached Zen Buddhism ). Zen means meditation. This sword is performed as if sitting in meditation. Attacks are hidden and produced in stillness. You should take every opportunity to attack suddenly. In real combat, you should repeat the use of chop or thrust, keep still, drive your force to the tip of the sword, and focus your attention as if you were in meditation. Often used techniques are swing in figure-eight pattern, thrust, cloud, and chop

here's a link to where the book is available

http://www.plumpub.com/sales/lionbks/lb_weapons1.htm

Chaolinho als wrote another sword book. This one is a 2 handed version.
    No we are not combining it into one set.

Thank you for your info but our versions are significantly different given that the one shown in the video seems like a Shaolin temple wushu-ized version compared to ours.

and yes it is not Jing Mo....sorry for time wasted

time wasted?

That wasn't wasted at all. In fact, it raises a very interesting discussion. Often in CMA, the same name can mean something completely different. That's very interesting and always worth some exploration.

I don't know the Chin Woo Tamo sword. I learned the Songshan Shaolin Tamo sword - in fact, it was the very first Songshan Shaolin form I learned (but I've long since forgotten it ).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by beiquan View Post
    Hi,
    A while back I made this for my teacher and classmates, it is my own translation of the lyrics along with the pictures from Zhao's book:

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?i...amojianct6.gif
    Beiquan,

Many thanks for sharing this!

any link to a video of this?

and gene, yes i beluieve the only reason to learn the chinese um wording of each stance is to use it while kicking someones butt. it makes it that much more classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.