Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Forum

Red,
    My own stance is pretty much as OdderMensch does it - except normally a fist apart. Feet are about 45 degrees.

Generally I don't stay static in the stance for too long. I move forwards whenever I can. SLT is obviously done in this stance but during free spar I always try to be moving - not excessively but always in a position of attack. I find the lower COG easier to move from although I wasn't convinced of this when I started.
    My movement is far from ideal but it is improving.

Hi R5A,

I am glad that you have the zeal that you do, however not all publicity is good publicity. You also are not alone in promoting Carl's WC, he has some students here in Ohio who have been hard at work studying the craft he is teaching. Not all choose the format that you have...that doesn't mean that they are nonexistant in trying to get his name out there. Sometimes flies are best caught with honey. The KFO is hardly the measuring stick of promoting your Sifu or in your case, your Sigung--Carl.

Blanket statements tend to **** people off and I have yet to meet many people who are willing to listen to a different point of view when they perceive that they are being attacked or put down. I would say that nearly everyone on this list is under the impression that their teacher represents high level skill. Who would willingly study with a guy they felt sucked? I think that perhaps the perceived nature of your posts is what most disagree with...not the fact that you have a strong belief in your Sigung--Carl. How would you feel if someone straight out says you don't practice the true WC (most would take this as a slight to their teacher)? Would you have an open mind or would your Ego flair and resentment build?

As far as traveling goes...not everyone trains with the same goals in mind. Only they can tell you what their goals are or what lengths they are willing to go in the pursuit of good training. Yes some pick what is convenient...but most--I would have to disagree with this statement. While kicking the hornets' nest is a good way to bring out those inside...I would say most of the hornets are ****ed off and looking to attack the said perpetrator. I did not personally care for you saying Carl and Challenge in the same sentence. He may be willing to take the "pepsi challenge" but isn't that his place to state such a point of view? Don't get me wrong I am not joining the bandwagon against you, merely attempting to add a different perspective to the situation. If I feel the need to challenge someone I will do so personally, I wouldn't say I challenge you to touch my Sifu's hands. What would you do if some serious **** went down at the seminar? Would you step in front of Carl or stand behind Carl?

Just some thoughts,
    Chris Snyder

Carl Dechiara represents what I feel embodies good wingchun. To mention his name is not name dropping in a bad light as my intention is to get his name out there, on my own, so that people can see what he has. Why? Becuase I believe in it and I think alot of people would be impressed by it. Would everyone who meets him convert to his way, probably not, to get what he has he works very hard and it takes a lot of hard work. Some people just arent interested in putting that much into it.
    For me it is a drive for excellence, that everyone aproaches one way or another. Why not shoot for the best.

Something is often said on this forum that I tend to disagree with. Often people say that they are training with who they think are the best. I disagree, most people are training with who is convenient. Who is close, or close enough. how many people do any sort of travelling regularly because they feel they will get better training from someone who isnt so convenient? [/B][/QUOTE]

I gotcha Chris, all goo dpoints. I have mentioned before when people started to get inflamed that I may have put things in the wrong light but instead of allowing me to recover continued to poke and prod.
    As for skill level and desire, I have also said I understand for some wing chun is not first on thier agenda or even a close second, and have tried to clarify more that I am talking mostly to those people. this goes with travelling too obviously. If you just aren't interested in travelling then so be it.
    Some people have taken the whole challenge thing a little too far though. It wasnt a challenge to come down and fight Carl, but see what he had to offer. If I even implied it was to fight I apologize but I do not believe that to be so. I would agree with you though, if I were offering up challenges to someone else I would expect them to kick my ass! Especially Carl! As for serious crap going down at the seminar, well I would do what I have to do!

Anyway, I understand what you are saying as well as what many of the others have said but I think that some people chose to creatively interpret or take personal the things I have said and it sort of snowballed from there.
    For example, I stated I believe most people practice bad wingchun, not purposely, and not anyone specifically so why would anyone get upset? I didnt name names or even imply them so how would someone know I was talking to them? I definitely never said it was lineage related, I know these guys way to well for that.
    Honey works to catch flies but its the hornets I am looking to talk with!

Chris, you know you can pm me anytime if you think I am getting out of line or misrepresenting Carl, or if you so choose just 'teach me a lesson' when I start making my trips down to train with you guys!

Jason

'I only condemn bad wingchun and just happen to think alot of people out there practice bad wingchun'
    here is the whole problem. with 3 years experience & the possibilty that you may have visited even a dozen different schools, you still wouldn't more than likely know good or bad wing chun if it chain punched you in the face.
    i personally couldn't care less about you loving your lineage & raving on about it, hell if you want to post photos of you kissing you beloved teachers butt(which i'm sure you have) then do it but for god sake stop telling us how we all have it wrong.
    all you have ever given us to back up why you have it so right is talk of the most basic knowledge of the basics, since you first stared posting here you have shown no knowledge improvements over that of a beginner.
    like i said to you before red, there is a whole world out there.
    do you understand that yet?
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Why does this concern you so much VTS? Seriously, we had this discussion on another thread and I thought it was over already! Well in my defense I have shown plenty of improvement, in the classroom where it counts. As for knowledge, I stick to the basics because that is exactly where I think the problem lies. Alot of bad wingchun because the basics are bad. You build a house on a bad foundation you have a bad house. If you build a house on a strong foundation you have a strong house. Am I off here VTS?
    What are these basics to you? what is it that is the foundation of your wingchun? Mine? Root, precision, structure. Wing chun is full of triangles and thats the triangle of foundation! Is there more, yep but WC is both simple and complex, these are th pillars the rest is built on.

dbulmer - try this, go down in your stance for a few weeks, see if you can hold it at 2 finger widths while you do SLT, then let me know what you think ok?
    Last edited by red5angel; 06-10-2002 at 02:41 PM.

red responding to vts sez:

Alot of bad wingchun because the basics are bad. You build a house on a bad foundation you have a bad house.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------Wow!
    Two years in minnesota wing chun undera student of carl's and red is ready to pontificate
    on a lot of bad wing chun.

No wonder some non wc trolls are at times amused by wc discussions.
    There isa whole world of kung fu civility and protocol that is out of the window here. In Minneapolis is one of the greatest kung fu people in the US. Southern Mantis's Gin Foon Mark...He never allows his beginners to rattle on about SPM or to speak for him or his art.

But with the spreading of wing chun- we have a real loose cannon or two on the net-roaming in the forums and pontificating on "a lot of bad" wing chun!!

Red,
    Sure no problem I'll give it a try - bTW 2 finger widths equates to 2 fists yes?

red5angel

Hey I defended the right to speak one's mind as long as it does not get personal or sinks into the gutter.

As for the stance thing as we do it feet are at about 45 degrees, sink as low as "comfortable" a little more comes with time, don't want to put too much pressure on knees as that is not good. Although as someone with not the best of knees I must say that mine have improved with WC. Knees are one to two fists apart. Should look like you are sitting on the edge of a stool more or less.

The WC stance in my humble opinion is one of the most important pieces of the puzzle. My Sifu showed me a rooting exercise the other day that really for the first time put the power of the stance into perspective.

Originally posted by red5angel

I would agree with you though, if I were offering up challenges to someone else I would expect them to kick my ass! Especially Carl!
    Good money says he will.

As for serious crap going down at the seminar, well I would do what I have to do!
    That fixes everything.

Ever since "Shane"- a man's gotta do what he's gotta do...come back Shane...

R5a,

the guy that suggested banning you is IMHO a snide wanker who does little except try to pi$$ people off. Few people agreed you should be banned.

You seem to have taken on a self appointed mission to push your point of view, not only on what is good and bad Wing Chun and who teaches the former, but also what this forum is for and how we should all behave on it.

Considering your short length of time in the art, you are underqualified to be the Saviour of Wing Chun and the KFOL WC forum. Also you seem more than a little too absorbed in your own opinions and wisdom. Fanatics and people who are totally sure of themselves get boring after a (short) while, and lots of people can't resist the urge to take the pi$$.

If your Sifu hasn't qualified you to teach or open a school of your own, then you're not ready to teach and not ready to pontificate.

Maybe turn the volume control down a notch or two, you'd find a lot less static coming through the speakers.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Blessed be anerlich and all his offspring.

dbulmer - "bTW 2 finger widths equates to 2 fists yes?" My fist are much bigger then my fingers, so if I am two finger widths a part my kness are closer then if they were two fist apart.

pvwingchun - yep, I have found that with time your legs tend to loosen up and you find yourself going deeper, not just as you do SLT, but with time you legs seem to get more elastic and flexible.

Anerlich - you could call it a self appointed mission I guess, but that is probably a little inaccurate. I have been talking alot about it lately because a lot of people seem to be wanting to discuss it. As for a saviour of wing chun, well, those are your words not mine. We should all be interested in getting good wing chun out there. Everyone on this forum wants to 'get along' and proclaim that there are limitless ways to do wingchun, I disagree, especially when it comes to the foundational skills. But I digress, I am willing to talk about this with people for as long as they wish to talk about it. I dont mind. I also don't mind offending people although that isnt my intent. As for being stuck in my own opinions, I always consider what other people say seriously, but I havent seen a real good argument here yet against what I am saying. Who would disagree that root is important? Who would disagree that precision is important? Everyone wants to pick on the idea that I believe alot of wingchun out there is crap but hey, thats opinion and opinions can be hard to change, especially over the internet. Its all about time in, and how would you or how could you know type arguments, well, show me where I am mistaken.
    Anerlich, you must understand I am trying to be respectful as possible, I really am. It may not seem like it, I have my own opinions and we are all entitled to them. I dont have a problem talking about mine, and I dont mind being challenged on them and discussing them.
    Last edited by red5angel; 06-11-2002 at 06:13 AM.

This thread represents exactly why red should be banned... Useleness. Just a means of getting attention, in the guise of an opinion.

Red, no opinion is better than one on subjects you don't understand. One learns and understands sooner.

Stop walking into that door.
    Love is the answer.

Sabu, I recommend you take a good hard look ats oem of these threads, it has been mentioned on them and in my pm that your style of posting is much more of an annoyance then my own, which goes to say alot if you are paying attention to the responses to mine.
    I have no need to get attention, I get plenty of that from my friends and family. This forum is here so that we can talk and share, and that includes opinions. I however am not posting about non wingchun subjects, posting about getting anyone banned, etc, so dont talk to me about wasting anyone elses time. I recommend you put me on your ignore list.
    As for subjects you dont know anything about, you are not far from minnesota, I recommend you come for a visit, maybe during the seminar? Then we can discuss and touch hands and see what each of us has to offer as far as knowledge goes. I have two extra bedrooms and a large garage we can practice in. This is a freindly invitation. Otherwise I hae always had the urge to visit Canada, maybe in a few months I can make it up to your area, I believe a few people who post here are from Toronto?