Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training for Women

Cool

I'm gonna have to start learning how to live with my fame.
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Stacey Guest

what a double standard

all I hear on these boards is how things aren't realistic enough.

Why is it considered cool, good training for a man to endure hard training and sparring. People marvel at the dog brothers and then think women's self defense should be assertiveley yelling "no" at someone dressed like a robotic mascot.

I think its best to play off their natural reactions and teach them techniques that work with how their body reacts, so they can remember them.

To me, there are only two conditions to working out using any regimen of your choice.

They are:

1. Begin

and

2.Continue

Start easy and progress with your friend. Don't let your enthusiasm overshadow her ability. Take it easy before you start pushing the limits.
    Do the same exercises with her as you would do yourself.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Get her lifting weights and on a good healthy diet Ryu. Mrs Rogue went from chubby to hard body on weights alone and has maintained her shape after giving birth to two kids and cutting back on her workouts.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I think sampling parts of typical warmup routines, including stretches, are good. Formula is to Structure and to Vary. Also, make sure she's hydrated before the workout.

Begin by getting the energy level up. I found jumping jacks (50) works for me. A light jog in place or around the block. Then, some stretches, without overstretching.

If she's too stiff to stretch to a "normal" degree in some areas, modify the exercise such that she can build on that, and also have a feeling of accomplishment, rather than a let down and consequent loss of focus. For instance, this can be done with a slight bend in the knee, rather than doing a straight-legged stretch, and mixing types of stretching. Awareness of where she is moving from, rather than concentration solely on the end result, is very important.

I would pay attention to trying to open the hips a bit, especially if she lacks flexibility in general. Exercise range of motion of shoulders and waist.

Play it by ear in terms of what exercises would be good for her, and pace it so she can continue thru the workout without collapsing in the corner. Work out with her and make it fun, and then act as coach with her continuing solo. This will build her motivation to work out on her own.

A certain energy level has to be maintained or the body goes to sleep and wants to stay that way in the case of someone who hasn't been exercising regularly or at all. The rhythm can be varied. When she gets stronger, using light weights on wrists and ankles for some of the workout might be good. Depends. Agree that aerobic and light weight training are a good combo.

Re the punching work. If she has an aggressiveness to her, even playfully, this could be good, if her posture and form aren't sloppy. However, if this doesn't suit her nature, I wouldn't push it.

In terms of diet. Someone I know just started the Belly-Off Weight-Loss plan via Mens Health. I know, it's for guys, but I tell you, this diet is awesome! You don't starve. I think a woman could make adjustments and emerge more slender and well-nourished, also nice-tempered (as opposed to the *****iness that often results from feeling radically deprived, or always hungry for something). Anyone who is interested in taking some weight off and not being made miserable in the process should take a gander at this plan.

Cody
    Last edited by Cody; 06-11-2002 at 08:47 PM.
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)

I'm with rogue on weights. Some girls seem to be affraid of lifting weights because they think they will get big. that's probably not gonig to happen. weights work really well.
    I am nothing.

Ryu,
    I personally would start her out slow and work her a lot with arobic type training, until she get's her stamina up. Even if she's "no stranger to working out" doesn't mean she has good stamina and cardio. Just don't burn her out, and all will be good!!!

~Wen~

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Keeping the center still. Streches from the outside keep it up work the stretches in towards center.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Yeah man I'd get her fit cardio wise first, with jogging, skipping, stretching.

Then I'd continue doing that and add some calisthenics, very light weights. Bag work's good, but there are better things for getting toned if that's what she wants.

I see Stacey has deleted his post that got Delicate Sound mad.
    Obviously he didn't stand by it.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Stretching, sit ups, stairstepper, Atikins diet, sex, and oh yeah, kung fu!
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Stacey Guest
    I deleted nothing. Kung Lek must have done it.

having her to push ups won't save her. Teaching her body movement, how to wiggle on the ground and escape, basic positining,

1 joint lock based on the pinky finger
    2. all the wrist releases you can
    3. tiger claws, eagle claws to eyes etc.

Thanks for all the tips guys. The appointment is in a few hours.

Stacey,
    what part of "she just wants to get in shape" don't you understand?

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Why are u guys refering to Stacey as "He"? That's a male ***** everyone!!

Anyway on this traing thingy, Ryu, ONE word... Grappling
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Originally posted by Ryu
    Stacey,
    what part of "she just wants to get in shape" don't you understand?
    I always wonder what part of:

"You are a pathetic internet transvestite"

..that he doesn't understand.
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

Consider lifting weights Ryu. Not to many things can burn calories for a long period of time like heavy lifting.
    I am nothing.