Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Eclipse

Solar Eclipse

I skipped class because well...how often do you get to see a solar eclipse, even a partial one?

I got really lucky. It was sunny and clear, and part of the balcony on my apartment building faces west. It took place shortly before sunset here, so I only got to see about the first half - the sun dropped below some other apartments across the street right around the time lunar occlusion was at it's maximum. I think we got about 70% of the sun's face covered from here. I had a site bookmarked, but don't feel like checking it right now. Anyway, I put on my prescription sunglasses, and then on top of that I wore a pair of welding goggles that I have left over from a sculpture class I took I while back. That was sufficient to allow me to look directly at the sun without pain, at least after it dipped low enough to turn red. Before that I could only take quick, glancing glimpses of the event, not counting my 'solar camera' arrangement with a hole-poked piece of paper and a nice blank wall. Anyway, looking right at the eclipse like that was like viewing the biggest, brightest, reddest crescent moon you ever saw. It was truly an inspiring sight. Totally worth missing class for.

And you?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    If i did id say... Yes, i watched the sun eclipse, a remarkfully beutifull experience.

I didnt see it
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

There was an eclipse? huh.
    Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance - Yang Jwing Ming

Sucker!

Was it even visible from Brasil?
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    I dont remember seeing anything about it on TV or anywhere else, so i guess it wasnt visible.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

I just checked the global map of yesterday's solar eclipse and it looks like it stopped considerably north and west of you, Xeb. Tough luck.
    Crippled Avenger

It was supposedly visible here. Unfortunately, the two-week late rainy season decided it was gonna coincide.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020612.html

A very fine time lapse shot of the partial eclipse, as seen above the Golden Gate Bridge.
    Crippled Avenger

Solar Eclipse August 21 2017

It's totally overcast here at Tiger Claw's Fremont CA office right now. TOTALLY. Just grey from horizon to horizon.

Maybe it'll burn off in the next few hours but that's not how the weather pattern has been here lately.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

seen!

Sun poked out just enough to get a view.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

srsly?

none of you saw that? it was up in the sky.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Great Solar Eclipse

Hello, Gene & folks,

Yes, that was a really great event. The last solar eclipse that was as powerful as yesterday's in our hemisphere is said to have occurred 99 years ago. Up in my area the solar eclipse was only 63% strong at the most they say, but if you ask me, and I was looking at it with my bare eyes at it's peak (my eyes are fine), it looked to be a bit less than that- from what I witnessed I could see the planet (or moon or whatever) cover the sun part way, and the sun that was still bare was crescent shaped.

It was only later that I got to go for a hike, to a high look-out, when the event was ending in my area. Still great.

Also, for several days before the event I was looking at videos on YouTube. I was very disappointed with most videos. Some videos said the world is going to end, the eclipse conjurs demons into the world, etc. etc., while other videos said the eclipse is the most beneficial event in our lifetimes so far. Hmm, who to believe. I just enjoyed the event for what I could witness- as far as I can tell a cool natural phenomenon. It felt good to witness it and also go for the hike when the sun was returning to it's normal strength.

TBH, I didn't get the special glasses for it, so I didn't even attempt to look at it. Business as usual for me. All I noticed in my location is that for several minutes before and after the designated time, the sunlight and sky *seemed* to appear a bit dimmer, or less bright, if that makes any sense. A co-worker of mine took some time off and went to Oregon to her parents' house, which happens to be in the 'path of totality', to see it.

Hi, Matt:

There's always going to be people who say that natural celestial events like these are either the end of the world or will usher in some new Age of Enlightenment. In this case, it's just another natural phenomenon that, while spectacular in some areas, is not, (IMO), an overly big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sun poked out just enough to get a view.
    Most apt use of sunglass smiley ever.

Greetings Gentlemen,

The energy of the days leading into the eclipse were very strong. Those energies still continue and will shore up and reinforce the energies coming through late October and through the remainder of the year. So, contrary to what the mainstream media and so called mystics, this solar eclipse was not a singular event. Its profound nature is completely ON. It will kick the booties of those whose bodies are not fit enough to receive it

mickey