Thread: Mp

Mp

Just curious. What's the MA scene in the DC area?

many thanks

If your in DC and want a place to train two words come to mind: Lloyd Irvin
    Tapped Out

Originally posted by Brad Souders
    If your in DC and want a place to train two words come to mind: Lloyd Irvin
    all right. that brings 7 words to mind: what the hell are you talking about?

Hell i don't now just plugging Lloyd's school (which is where merry trains at)
    Tapped Out

the dc area has lots of options. everything from JKD to capoeira. you moving to the area chingei?

stuart b.

Chingei--the DC area has a lot to offer. The MA scene here for BJJ and Thai boxing is very good. There are at least 4 top notch thai boxing coaches in the area, and two top notch BJJ schools. There are two other BJJ schools with a brown and black belt teaching, respectively, but they have not done so hot in competitions. There is also a place with a blue belt instructor in woodbridge.

NIH has a excellent Judo club, and if you want to just get beat up, Rhadi Ferguson is in the area

There are a couple of wrestling clubs. The area is awash in TKD.

There are several CMA schools in the area, and I have no idea what quality they are.

Ap could tell you more about the JKD and Eskrima scene.

There is one rather odd vietnamese fellow in college park who is apparently rather good, but quirky in some disconcerting ways, from what I understand. Ask Ap. He knows more about that one than I do

There's an Aikido school that is supposed to be good but that did not impress me in Takoma Park--on the other hand, it's right down the street from the Capoeira studio.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

There's also a high level Southern Mantis teacher in the area. I want to say he is out of Maryland, but could be wrong.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

There is one rather odd vietnamese fellow in college park who is apparently rather good, but quirky in some disconcerting ways, from what I understand. Ask Ap. He knows more about that one than I do - merryprankster
    i ought to. the little sod elbowed me right in the fun bag. and i wasn't even training there.

stuart b.

Originally posted by Brad Souders
    Hell i don't now just plugging Lloyd's school (which is where merry trains at)
    all right! please, tell me more

Originally posted by apoweyn
    the dc area has lots of options. everything from JKD to capoeira. you moving to the area chingei?

stuart b.
    just a potential possible possibility for next year. thought I'd start looking around just in case.

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Chingei--the DC area has a lot to offer. The MA scene here for BJJ and Thai boxing is very good. There are at least 4 top notch thai boxing coaches in the area, and two top notch BJJ schools. There are two other BJJ schools with a brown and black belt teaching, respectively, but they have not done so hot in competitions. There is also a place with a blue belt instructor in woodbridge.

NIH has a excellent Judo club, and if you want to just get beat up, Rhadi Ferguson is in the area

There are a couple of wrestling clubs. The area is awash in TKD.

There are several CMA schools in the area, and I have no idea what quality they are.

Ap could tell you more about the JKD and Eskrima scene.

There is one rather odd vietnamese fellow in college park who is apparently rather good, but quirky in some disconcerting ways, from what I understand. Ask Ap. He knows more about that one than I do

There's an Aikido school that is supposed to be good but that did not impress me in Takoma Park--on the other hand, it's right down the street from the Capoeira studio.
    whoa! sounds good.

Many thanks for the info everyone!!

Thai boxing and (of course) Wrestling are of interest. I dig Aikido but...

chingei--

shoot me an e-mail.

javalentine11
    @hotmail.com

I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli