Thread: I don't open these hips for just ANY sifu!

I don't open these hips for just ANY sifu!

Been making a lot of progress as far as opening up my hips lately. Anyone know any good stretches/exercises that'll help me continue with my advancement?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

eeeewwww...
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

put your back on the floor and your legs up in the air (or up against the wall, and do splits. Another one is to do splits on your knees (to save them a bit).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Actually, the one where you lie on your back is a regular part of my stretching now. For the first two months, it didn't seem to do anything, then all of a sudden I started to get some real progress from it.

The knee one sounds scary. Do you do that? Do you have good knees? How old are you?

Ryu,
    Like you've never done it.

Teehee, well you got me there!

(..urrg... I suddenly feel so dirty .. )

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Full lotus pose, also frog pose, position #4 and #9 of the sun salutation, splits, side kicks with no pivot, put knee and lower leg up on the bar...etc.

And my hips still need loosening!!

-FJ

Lie on your back legs spread out and have a friend (or an enemy depending on how much strech you want) do a wide mabu so his legs fit inside your knees...then he put his hands on your knees and put his weight down...
    Lie on your stomach, legs out and feet together, your friend puts a knee on your butt to keep it down, then graps your feet and pushes down gently...
    Hope you could get my meaning...these two exercieses are really great...

center split.....just on your your knees (it is less wear and tear on your knees.). My knees suck (actually, I just dislocated my left patela and seriously strained or partially tore a ligament in my knee).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

And you guys say BJJ and Grappling are **** erotic!

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

This is Jeet Kune Do....

Kung fu just hasn't come out of the closet.

Braden Guest
    What are you doing now for it, KC? Are you looking for stretch-type things, or movement drills from kungfu?

Both.

Right now, I do a good amount of stretching for it, really concentrating on making sure my hips are relaxed and, where applicable, my legs locked, and avoid sacrificing form to just get down lower, if you follow me.

As far as form, I've been learning the core internal form in my style, and there's several steps in there that seem to help open up the hips, so I practice those steps a lot, which has dramatically helped me learn to relax my hips more.

13. Thumbs up

Here´s one (or actually two,depending on how you look at it)
    spread your legs to sides (opposite directions) longer than your shoulders.
    Keep your upper body straight.Your hands and arms remain at your sides.
    Then reach toward your ankle with your other hand (lowering your upper torso,and stretching to reach ankle)
    A bit hard to explain this one,here´s an example-
    When you stretch your left hip,use your left hand to reach your ankle (or alternatively shin,depending on your flexibility)
    When you stretch your right hip,you use your right hand to reach ankle (or again,instead your shin)
    You can "bounce",do short stretches and change hand&hip,from side to side,or longer stretches.
    Side kicks are good too,as fa_jing already stated.

The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-