View Poll Results: What style do you practice?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Northern Shaolin

8 17.78%
  • Hung Gar

2 4.44%
  • Choy Le Fut

3 6.67%
  • Tai Chi, Bagua, Chi Gung, Hsing I, other Internal

9 20.00%
  • Wah Lum or 7* Mantis

6 13.33%
  • Contemporary Wushu

1 2.22%
  • BJJ

1 2.22%
  • Japanese Arts

1 2.22%
  • Korean Arts

1 2.22%
  • American Styles (Aka..Kenpo, KF San Soo, and SD)

4 8.89%
  • Wing Chun/Ving Tsun

5 11.11%
  • Southern Shaolin

4 8.89%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What style do you practice?

I always figured that about you
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

SevenStar, There are four different styles of Kajukenbo. Ch'uan Fa, Kenpo, Wun Hop Kuen Do, and one other one that I can't remember at the moment. I imagine they are all greatly similar, but each one focuses more on one element of the whole system a bit more strongly then the rest. At least that's my understanding of it.

Mrs. Prankster, can Merry come out to play?
    Ralek and I rented UFC for dreamcast!

ugh.... my jokes gross even me out these days...

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

wun hop kuen do - I remember that being popularized by dacascos some years back. never heard of the others though - what does chuan fa kajukenbo focus on?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Ch'uan Fa focuses more on the Kung Fu, soft styles of the art. But doesn't neglect the others either. I believe it was brought about by Emperado, one of the Original founders, 10 or 15 years maybe after the Original Kenpo based Kajukenbo was first developed. I'm going off memory at the moment, but I'm pretty sure that's fairly accurate. You're right about Dacascos, I think his style was the last one to come out.

Mom says I can't come play until I get the skid marks out of my underwear--and I just threw up on the cat, so I might be grounded.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Unhappy

Aw, no fair!
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Mom's been really touchy ever since I couldn't make it to the bathroom on time and made a "mess" in front of the trailer.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I study Northern Shaolin, and of course BJJ off of Gracie CD's!!!

~Wen~

By the way, I was wondering if anyone here has heard of the style I am practicing or better yet has some knowledge in the system?

Peace

Most everything I know about Kun Tao(which isn't much) came from a fake teacher who said he learned from Guy Seveli, allthough my teacher at the time called him Guy Chong for some odd reason :P . I think it's Indonesian though.

dubj

kuntao is a chinese/indonesian martial art, popularized in the us by the de thoaurs brothers. there are many styles of silat, the most popular probably being kuntao, pentjak and mande muda (sp?) Silat was developed along the same lines as kali - a no nonsense killing method, as it was developed during times of war. The style - at least as taught by some - will get "mystical" in that it deals with the elements and other things. I've also read that there are mantras that the fighters would use to provide them with speed, strength, protection, etc. depending on the mantra they use. I have read this about old kalistas also.

I'm rather inexperienced with the style, but send a PM to MonkeySlapToo - he's been training in kuntao and shuai chiao for several years.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

If you're training the Kun Tao through Uncle Bill's line, you're gonna be a bad Mofo one of these days. Kun Tao has my unwavering respect.

As for me, it's currently Shuai Chiao and BJJ. I'm being taught some "other stuff", but it's all taught in relationship to the Shuai Chiao and not as it's own thing per se. before that, it was William CC Chen's Taiji.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Shaolin Longfist and Choy lay Fut. I also play around with other stuff when time allows.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

I studied a "Royal Kun Tao" MA back in early 80`s under Thomas Pepperman, Toronto Canada via Pittsburg. He said it was Indonesian. Talking about a fighter, geez, an awesome fighting art! At that time, Thomas took my fighting to a whole differant level. The last I heard he was in Tampa, Fla. Has anyone here ever trained with Mr. Pepperman?