View Poll Results: What style do you practice?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Northern Shaolin

8 17.78%
  • Hung Gar

2 4.44%
  • Choy Le Fut

3 6.67%
  • Tai Chi, Bagua, Chi Gung, Hsing I, other Internal

9 20.00%
  • Wah Lum or 7* Mantis

6 13.33%
  • Contemporary Wushu

1 2.22%
  • BJJ

1 2.22%
  • Japanese Arts

1 2.22%
  • Korean Arts

1 2.22%
  • American Styles (Aka..Kenpo, KF San Soo, and SD)

4 8.89%
  • Wing Chun/Ving Tsun

5 11.11%
  • Southern Shaolin

4 8.89%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What style do you practice?

xie li wong Guest
    mantis & long fist!!

Style

I practice myjong law horn

Braden Guest
    Brad Souders - Out of curiosity, could you expand on how you work aikido and silat into your training? Thanks.

We work aikido in with our empty hand against weapon mostly. Sometimes we also have bouncers that come in and we use principles from aikido's movements to help them "take out" the trash

As for Silat we basically use a couple throw out of their system that seem to come in very handy.

I don't know if you saw my other post but checkout http://thepowerfanfilm.com and click on other videos and download the one called TMT promo. It's in quicktime and is 35mb long. It is an actual training session at my school that my cousin edited and put into a music video. There you can see the different styles we blend in.
    Tapped Out

I don't doubt that what I am learning and more so what my teacher knows is legit. I think it is a very cool fighting art that reminds me a lot of bagua mixed with some other southern chinese techniques. What I am learning is considered a royal style. I don't think I am learning much of the "royal" or family system yet, but a blend of what he teaches. My teacher is Philip Selmon who is a 25 year student of Grandmaster Arthur Sikes. I will stick with him for a while to see how far he can help me go and how deep the well of knowledge is there.
    I don't know for a fact but I have read that the late Willem Reeders, who brought the system here, was a Dutch Indonesian and was supposedly from both chinese and dutch royal bloodlines. He learned from many chinese and indonesian teachers, but his main teacher was his great uncle Leong Liu Seong. I am not sure if that name is correct or not. Now what is taught is a system that I think contains or is a blend of 7 internal styles. I think they are tai chi, hsing i, bagua, qigong, silat, the family kun tao and maybe liuhebafa. Not too sure about those though. From what I have been able to find out about Master Reeders is he is somehow related to or grew up with a few of the older De Thouares and Devries brothers. I have read that Uncle Bill has a lot of respect for him and I am pretty sure that he said that master Reeders would master systems in no time and would then be sent to another teacher. I am exited about studying this science and hope other people here may be familiar with this style so we can have some interesting discussions, especially when I get more experience . I know that Taomonkey studies this style here, what about anyone else?

Braden Guest
    Cool soundtrack.

TTMFTAW
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

like my name says, Hop Gar Kung Fu, part of the Tibetan martial arts.
    Zvika

don't doubt that what I am learning and more so what my teacher knows is legit. I think it is a very cool fighting art that reminds me a lot of bagua mixed with some other southern chinese techniques. What I am learning is considered a royal style.
    That's cool. I'm positive that what you're learning is 1000x better than the "Kun Tao" that I learned. Looking back, I think our Kun Tao form may have been a few basic exercises ripped off of Daniel Wengs Shui Jiao instructional video, modified to the point of near uselessness and strung together, lol. I know the fake Kungfu system I learned is localized mostly here in Columbus area, and the guy teaching it lost all his students. :-P

Hey, since there seem to be a couple Kun Tao guys in this thread I was wondering if anyone might know of anyplace I could buy good demonstrative footage of this art? I've never seen the real thing before

The truth is that everybody here (and everywhere) studies his OWN style.

There are as many styles as there are individuals. No two folks bring the same things to the table, even identical twins reared in the same environment.

Ngor Chor Kun.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

A couple of places to buy videos of the real deal that I have found are www.kuntaosilatdethouars.com and www.eurekainternalarts.com which has some pretty good prices on videos. Let me know how they are if you decide to buy them.

Mine isn't even remotely listed - the poll lacks the appropriate "other" buttons.

Capoeira Angola, traditional Brazilian kicking art.
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

Thumbs up

please keep the pull going!!! thanks
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com