Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the grapplers think of us

Hey, whatever floats your boat man. Run with it.

I know CMA'ers that believe in their system as the one true religion and BJJ'ers that think that 90% of fights go to the ground.

I smile and nod. Watcha gonna do?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Wasn't that a mod you were quoting MP?

I thought they knew everything!
    Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance - Yang Jwing Ming

For one, I've never seen a fight go to the ground in a Fencing tournament.

Thats an interesting though, groundfightig with swords. . .

"I smile and nod. Watcha gonna do?"

Nothing I geuss. That dosen't keep me from getting nicely ****ed off though.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Tai Chi

Our Tai Chi club does quite well against the grapplers and any other MMA practitioners.

Our breathing techniques alone are usually enough to wear out any grappler as long as we don't let our limbs get caught.

I think this board has some of the best MA talk on the net. Hell even for a "gay dry humper" i enjoy the conversation.
    Tapped Out

In some ways I am on the fence on this issue. On the one hand you do have alot of wannabe or neverwas CMA players bringing really stupid techniques to the table. On the other hand you have the same amount of Grapple players that can't see beyond their system either. So if something is inovative they don't see it working in their paradigm(this is pronounced pa-ra-dime, not pa-ra-dig-um).

I, for one, am really sick and tired of reading the stupid dim mak and neck strike posts. CMA students please STOP mentioning this. There is so much more about CMA that can't be said because it has to wade through all this drivel. Most striking Kung fu is about controling and maintaining a perimeter. Lets talk about that instead.

The other thing that kills me here is exactly WHY they give a **** at all. The whole thread was a giant self patting on the back. If we are so lowly then why are they giving it a second thought. And, before you answer, keep in mind the thread was filled with only a handfull of people. It was, for the most part the rant of just a few.

I totally agreee on the magazine statement. Lately the magazines have been on a monk fetish. You see the technique articles here and there. Few and far between. And sometimes they aren't any good. Which brings me to this next comment. The magazines are seemingly trying to keep chinese martial arts very, for lack of a better word, Chinese. The non asian features are only token in comparison. There are so few non asian CMA players in this country? Not to knock the chinese at all. This is where the our arts came from. But, I think at this point it has grown larger than one country or one people.

SifuAbel:

Most striking Kung fu is about controling and maintaining a perimeter. Lets talk about that instead.
    Brilliant observation w/regards to fight strategy here.

Stop being reasonable and making sense, ******!!!.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-18-2002 at 01:03 AM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

SA - Completely agree. The "Chin Na" and "Neck Strike" thing seems to be the CMA dummy's stock responce to the BJJ dummy's stock "I'd just go for the double leg..."

At the end of the day, it's just dumb CMA people VS dumb BJJ people on that article.

Anyone with a modicum of sense knows that it's not ever that simple, and that style-style arguments are futile. It's all to do with the individual.

controlling and maintaining a perimeter. Lets talk about that instead.
    Exactly. Conceptual

People on either side who say "You can't defend against ____" p!ss me off. Whwther it's a BJJ takcle or a Kung Fu pressure point KO. It doesn't work like that. A "neck strike" might not bother Ryu, but might have MPS crying like a girl......

Man this board is WAY above the level of CyberKwoon
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

Dre, your attitude is a barrier to learning, you are basically prejudiced against anyone who studies BJJ - do you believe in racism/sexism/stereotyping?

If you don't, why are you applying the same logic to BJJers?

And some of the people on Cyberkwoon are worthy of taking the ****.

Hmmm, lets see, takedown defense: - Donkey kick to the face. (kicking with both feet out of a hand-stand).

Y'know, it might just work...

The guys on that thread were taking the **** out of the Cyberkwoon guys. Not us.

In fact one of them stated that KFO was no fun anymore because we had been 'educated' by Merry.

Not 'converted'- if their problem was with Kungfu itself then they would be here in OUR face. But they recognise that although most of the people on this board do Kungfu we are aware of the dangers of grappling and do address them. So they have no problem with us. Because most of us, although we do something different, respect their art.

Y'see, there is no point coming on here and talking crap, becuase on here (most) people would say:

"Last year called, wants its thread back.
    I am well aware of the danger that grappling presents and I have trained or plan to train regularly with grapplers and practiced my takedown defense/groundfighting, what you are saying is nothing new to me."

On Cyberkwoon they go:

"Grappling is not a problem to me, I will simply pull a handstand and kick you in the face, or (my favourite) drop to my knees and punch you hard in the nose."

That is the attitude that they have a problem with.

WARNING: TINPOT PSYCHOLOGY COMING UP:

Everyone wants respect for their art. Everyone desires (not needs) respect for what they do.

Kungfu men want grapplers to say "hey, what you're doing is cool, I need to figure some way of taking care of you with what i do"

and grapplers want kungfu men to say "I think what you're doing looks pretty dangerous, so I better figure out some defense for that."

On KFO, we have done that, we have acknowledged grappling's threat to us and taken measures to nullify it as much as we can. So the grapplers are happy, what they do has been acknowledged and respected.

On CK, the guys on there are like "grappling sucks! no way they could beat me or take me down!" so the grapplers are p!ssed that their art gets no respect for being "good" and go on there and try to make their point.

Does anybody see what I'm rattling on about?

Sorry about this post...

'"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Are you referring to my onrunning comment made less than 5 minutes ago on this thread of:

Man this board is WAY above the level of CyberKwoon
    Thanks for elaborating for me...

Of course I'm in agreement. It's true. MPS and Ryu have actually brought a lot of sense to this board. I'd give myself credit as a Judo guy but no-one would recognise it.....

-Bible Truths.

Neck strikes typically don't faze me.

However, when people start making fun of my big ears and Neanderthal like brow ridge (not a joke) I usually get my feelings hurt and that takes all the p!ss right out of me...

Scotty, At the risk of trumpeting my own horn, I think you'll find it thus:

CMA'ers are tired of chest thumping grapplers/MMAers who insist on 'proving' things in the ring--tough guy posturing.

MMA'ers/grapplers are tired of CMA elitism and snobbery.

They are both forms of arrogance, of course.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-18-2002 at 04:06 AM.

big ears
    Anti-Tackle Handles?

-Bible Truths.

Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-18-2002 at 04:22 AM.

Re: Tai Chi

Originally posted by Cableguy
    Our Tai Chi club does quite well against the grapplers and any other MMA practitioners.

Our breathing techniques alone are usually enough to wear out any grappler as long as we don't let our limbs get caught.
    picture a tai chi club in a tree eating garlic

Man, looking at those pictures I totally don't understand BJJ.

You're lying on your back with your legs in the air yeah? That's "the Guard" right? So in that first picture, isn't the guy on the top the one with the advantage? He can hit you, grab your leg, break your knee, stand up etc. You can kick him in the face, but he's the one with mobility.

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish on your back with your legs round the guy. I'm not being funny either, I can't see what the goal of that position is.

A brief run down of what the hell is going on in those pics would be cool.

Note: I'm not baggin on BJJ, just trying to understand it.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist