Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Protecting the Knees

Ford Prefect Guest
    Yeah, the trilogy of tapes is only $99.95. To make it easier for the browsing impaired: ;)

http://www.amerross.com/toolbox.html

Kram1 Guest

Sorry

Sorry, I mistook the whole package price for that one one of its components

Mark

And So It Goes...

Kram1 Guest

And meanwhile back to the free advice...

SO, anyone else w/ opinions on knee alignment, or advice for strengthening the knees?

And So It Goes...

zen_celt Guest
    Kram1- I understand what you're saying about bad knees. I've posted before about the bad shape mine are in. All I can say is good luck, keep up the strengthening and invest in MANY aleve and accupuncture. :D
    -ZC

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Aramus Guest

Non-squat, but it helps your knees

In high school, the physical trainer suggested using a mini-tramp to strengthen the knees. He had a few people who fell victim to vicious knee injuries use it and go back up to full strength.

The exercises they did were two legged hops, one, alternating, heighth, control, and balance.

But that would mean you would have to spend $40 or so. :)

Kram1 Guest

Aleeve, et. al.

Man, be very careful how you use those NSAI's ( Non-Steroid Anti-Inflamitories) The problem with ALL of them, regardless of the other side effects ( liver damage etc.) is that they all work by REDUCING the bloodflow to the affected area. This is great for reducing inflamation and its associated pain, but can you see the problem? Long term reduced blood flow to many areas is bad. Especially to areas such as the meniscus which, as you get older gets less and less blood flow to begin with. Sure, take them to reduce swelling after an injury. But not while exerting yourself. They can lead to an increased risk of injury to the very areas you are trying to help. Think about it. Healthy tissue requires an adequate blood supply for many reasons. What effect will reducing that supply have on critical areas, when you are stressing them the most (ie sparring, exercising, etc.)?
    I took large doses of physician proscribed Motrin (800mg)for about a year and a half, after a car wreck injured my back. Result? doubled my chloresterol level (98, the year before, 221 a year after stopping), torn medial menscus tears in both knees, and arthritis in many of my joints. Other factors? Sure probably. But hey, I'll let you be the next Guinea Pig :D

Sorry to rant, but this was a subject I felt strongly about.

MArk

And So It Goes.

IronFist Guest
    In squats, the knees should follow the path of the feet. Your feet don't necessarily have ot be facing directly forward. Look at how powerlifters squat, a lot of them use a wide stance with toes pointed out a bit.

Just keep your knees in line with your feet and you'll be fine.

Also, generally speaking the knees shouldn't extend ****her forward than the feet as you go down.

Good luck,
    Iron

Ford Prefect Guest
    Box squatting is a great alternative to regular squatting as well. http://www.westsidebarbell.com for more details. They have guys who squat over 1,000 lbs and they rarely have injuries in the club.

Problems with Knees.

Hi.

I was wondering if some of you out there have some advise for the following Condition.

My Knees got stronger muscles on the inside, and therefor my knees tend to fall inward.

Any good exercises for strengthening the outside muscles of the Knee.

I am booked with a Physiothreapist aswell, but was wondering if there are Qi-Gong or other recognised exercises for this condition.

I believe it is fairly common among Sports people and MA Practicioners.

Thanks, in advance.

Hi red_fists,

I wrote a really long reply, explaining all these complicated exercises the physio gave to me, only to realise, that my knees were the otherway around ;-)

Galadriel

Get a light stretch band (available at www.jumpstretch.com), sit in a chair, and place your legs inside the band. These things are basically just big rubber bands. You might need to fold the band once or twice to tighten up the slack. Move the band up your legs, so that it is right below the knee. With your feet staying planted at about shoulder-width apart, rotate your knees outward (like attempting to do a split) and then bring your legs back together. repeat...etc.

This is what many powerlifting gyms use to strengthen peoples knees, so they don't bend in when squatting heavy weights. If it helped these guys squat 1,000 lbs, then it should help you as well.

Originally posted by Galadriel
    [I wrote a really long reply, explaining all these complicated exercises the physio gave to me, only to realise, that my knees were the otherway around ;-)
    Can I ask you to send them anyway.

It will give me an idea on how to deal with it the reverse way.

Thanks.

I, too, have the inner muscles more developed. However, this is on purpose. I was told to develop the inner knee (actually one head of the quadraceps) muscles to combat my Patellar Tracking Dysfunction. This is a condition where the muscles and tendons on the OUTSIDE are too tight, so when you bend your knees past a certain point, the kneecap floats to the outside and is off its track. I am naturally knock-kneed, so the knees curve in. This is bone structure, not an acquired condition. The exercise to develop the INNER quadraceps muscle is to do knee extensions, on the machine, only through the last 30 degrees of the motion from straight. So, I assume that to train the OUTER muscles to support the knee you would do the other 60 degrees of motion, stopping before you straighten out too much. An example: Low horse stance.
    Make sense??
    -FJ

Hi Fa-Jing.

Thanks, for the Info, yes it makes sense.

I am also scheduled to see a physio-threapist soon, and see what he can offer.

Seeya.

Hi guys,
    Basically I have the same problem as fa-jing, so these exercises help to stretch the outer muscles and tendons so the knee cap doesn't get pulled to the outside.
    I hope I explained those exercises alright and you kinda know what I'm trying to explain ;-)

This is what my physio told me to do:
    Ok, here it goes..

These are exercises for the left leg

Lie on your back and put your right leg at an angle with the foot on the ground.
    Point your left foot to the outside and slowly lift it up to about 30 degrees, and slowly down again

Stand on a step or something with your left foot and have it pointing slighly outward, your right leg should not touch the ground. Now slowly bend your left knee and then straighten it again. Go down as far as possible without your knee hurting.

Stand with your left side to a wall. Put your right foot next to your left but from the other side, so its wall, right foot, left foot.
    Put your left hand on the wall and push outward and push your left hip forwards and in a right direction.

I also got one of those stretchy bands (haven't got a clue what they are called), one end I tied to a chair the other end went around my left foot.
    So if you stand next to the chair with your right side, lift your left leg diagonally upwards, you should feel a strech on the outerside of your upper leg.

The last exercise involves a pillow and me kneeling on the floor, but I havent got a clue how to explain that one ;-)

They should be done about 3 times a day, about 20 times each.

Galadriel