Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Protecting the Knees

It's not the tendons, it's the muscles around the knee you want to worry about. quads, hammies, OK, lets just say total leg strength.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Are your knees in good shape now? Barbell squats. Not smith-machine squats, not leg presses, but barbell squats. Have someone who knows how to do them teach you how. With the exception of the Olympic lifts, barbell squat is the most technically difficult lift there is so you want to make sure you're doing it right.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/jul/31/fear_the_squat2.htm

http://jumpusa.com/jumpersknees.htm

As an aside, I prefer the front and Zercher squats to back squats . . . mainly since I can't back squat anymore . . .
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Just don't do smith machine squats or leg presses. Curved back + leg pressing = injury (potentially), and at the least reinforces poor muscle movement.

If you're going to leg press, make sure your back is arched, or at least straight.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-10-2004 at 12:50 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Deep squats will help. As will knee-extensions... I know I know. isolation is generally bad. Knee extension help strengthen the musculature around the knee though which takes load off connective tissue. There's a reason why most PT's have clients do them... Look into body flow as well. I hate Sonnon's advertising and most of his products, but this is one of his gems.

Also, don't forget to stretch your quads and hamstrings. Tight im-balanced muscles can put a lot of pressure on the joint.

ok, so squats and stretching, no problem, I can do that. Actually I've been doing squats for some time now so I'll just stick with it and not worry about it, thanks guys!

Problems with the knees

Hello everyone. Recently (as in the past month or so) my left knee has been feeling weak and becomes tired more easily. This doesn't seem to come from my martial arts training, but oddly enough from being a musician playing the vibraphone were I am standing on one leg for long periods of time. It doesn't really hurt, but I don't want it to get any worse. Sometimes I also feel something at the hip joint to a lesser extent. Is there anything I can do to treat this or strengthen my knee? Thank you for your suggestions and input.
    Last edited by Joe1363; 03-18-2008 at 11:27 PM.

Smile

I also had knee problems. And a man who spent most of his life in prison working out. Gave me some advice.

" High rep squats with no weight. "

It worked

Hold horse stance too.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

See a doctor (if you can afford it). Taking medical advice from strangers on an internet forum who aren't doctors and have no idea what's really wrong with you is generally a bad idea

Yeah, I know asking strangers on the internet isn't exactly the best, but people with martial arts experience might know some things that are helpful. I've also asked my Sifu and a few other people, so I'm not just going from this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Studies have shown there is a corelation of Low Back pain and hip knee problems. Look it up , google it . Or see a Md and have him or her look at your knee and back KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by dougadam View Post
    I also had knee problems. And a man who spent most of his life in prison working out. Gave me some advice.

" High rep squats with no weight. "

It worked
    these have value and will do much to keep the joint lubed up, but id do weighted full squats along with a few other full body exercise as well. doesnt have to be anything fancy .... squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, and throw in some chins, dips, and weighted ab work for good measure.

i think the general concensus is, if something hurts, make it stronger.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe1363 View Post
    Hello everyone. Recently (as in the past month or so) my left knee has been feeling weak and becomes tired more easily. This doesn't seem to come from my martial arts training, but oddly enough from being a musician playing the vibraphone were I am standing on one leg for long periods of time. It doesn't really hurt, but I don't want it to get any worse. Sometimes I also feel something at the hip joint to a lesser extent. Is there anything I can do to treat this or strengthen my knee? Thank you for your suggestions and input.
    Step 1 - Find out what the problem is.
    Step 2 - Fix the problem.

You haven't done step 1 yet.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !