Thread: Trying to get good at weights

Trying to get good at weights

Lots of really dumb questions from a novice here - feel free to take the p*ss so long as you try and answer.

OK I've graduated from machines to dumbells - is this a good idea ? I'm trying to do fewer reps of heavier weights - generally 2 sets of 8 .

I've tried barbells but without a training partner aren't they a bit dangerous - I mean I tried a bench press and had a bit of trouble controlling the bar- it had less weight on it than I do with 2 dumbells so what was going on there? What are the simple barbell exercises that I might start with that can be done solo?

Also I went to the gym yesterday - is it worthwhile going again today - or should I rest - problem is I can't go until Monday if I don't go today.

It is always good idea to "graduate" from machines to free weights. In fact, you could've skipped over the machine part and started with free weights. 2 sets of 8 is good. Training without a partner isn't really that dangerous. I do it all the time. And if you do need a spot, you can ask someone to spot you. The barbell bench feels weird because your stabliazers haven't been used much during your time with machines. Keep doing free weights and the stablizers will catch up pretty quick.

There are lots of barbell exerices that you can do. Deadlifts and their variations, various rows, Squat (if your gym have a squat rack), bench, curls, pull overs, overhead presses, shrugs, etc., All of these require strict form. There's nothing simple about it. Of course, that shouldn't scare you since exercie should include some sort of discipline.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/screwups.html
    go to that site, it will show some exercises and go to the "from gym d.o.r.k to gym diva" page. It will show how and how not to do it.

Resting depends on you and the routine. Some routines can require you to go almost every day. Some requires you to rest a lot more. It just depends.

First thing to do is set your goals, why are you using weights ???

For size, for strength, for endurance ?? How often can you realistically get to the gym ??

The answers really guide the advice you want, different goals, different training.